Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepup View Post
Less rosy interpretation: The high prices are predicated on low interest rates allowing people to afford the houses on their salary. Without a corresponding rise in income any increase in interest rates will kneecap the housing market. High housing/property costs and decaying infrastructure have the potential to choke off job growth as well.
Blah, rising interest rates, blah! They have gone lower. Everyone said ooh they are going up. I'll believe it when I see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:42 AM

34 posts, read 135,176 times
Thank you for all of your responses! I really appreciate your thoughts, statistics and opinions. I think the best thing to do is to probably buy now, but make sure we get a place that has space and a location where we could easily stay for 10+ years. A forever home if you will. That way if things go south we can just comfortably stick it out. The only thing is you never know what life will throw you, and you could need to move someday, but you just can't predict these things. There is always going to be some risk in real estate.

If anyone else has articles or thoughts, please keep posting! Thanks!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:54 AM

What area are you looking in? I thought about it a little more and realize that further out suburbs might plateau sooner than close in areas like the city or SW Austin. Something to think about. I live in SW Austin, and I realize that the high price increases down here aren't the norm for all pockets outside of Austin.

Last edited by llkltk; 06-06-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 AM

34 posts, read 135,176 times
@llkltk

We rent in NW, Arboretum, right now. We want to stay north, but are considering a pretty wide range area. Anderson Mill, Millwood, Gracy Farms, Cedar Park, Round Rock, and maybe Pflugarville.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
New guy here!

Decaying infrastructure?

Spend some time in the North East.
Instead of "decaying infrastructure" replace with "inadequate infrastructure". Think 2 lane highways where there should be 8 lanes, expressways where there should be freeways, etc...

Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 AM

I'm surprised at how much those areas have appreciated, specifically Milwood. I think CP, RR, and Pflugerville might level out sooner than the close in areas. But, I would buy now for the areas closer to the city. Homes in Milwood that sold for 185K 1.5 years ago are now selling for 220K. And that is without any renovation.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Prices will continue to rise as long as so many people keep moving here.

When the bottom falls out, places like Leander/Buda/Georgetown and other further out places will feel the effect first.

Central Austin will continue to boom.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Let me get out my crystal ball... If we all knew what was going to happen, don't you think we would all be preparing for it? If people knew prices would drop, don't you think they would not buy now and they would wait?

Builders are building as fast as they can, how much more do you want them to build? The majority of the building is in the burbs, so you have to be ok with that, along with people relocating here. The interior is already built. You have to go out to continue to build... unless you tear down and rebuild.
Better to leave it there and renovate an existing house, preserving the character of the neighborhood. Precious few builders have the knowledge or willingness to build something from scratch that fits.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Better to leave it there and renovate an existing house, preserving the character of the neighborhood. Precious few builders have the knowledge or willingness to build something from scratch that fits.
Very true; but, all other factors aside, it's much much easier to find and afford a quality builder who prefers to work with a clean slate rather than refurb a fifty year-old house. We considered 'popping the top' on a 1500 sq ft rancher a few years back...virtually the same cost to completely raze and build from the ground up vs trying to retrofit the original. YMMV and all that

Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM

316 posts, read 877,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Blah, rising interest rates, blah! They have gone lower. Everyone said ooh they are going up. I'll believe it when I see it!
Interest rates have been carefully managed and kept under the lid for the past 5+ years.

They will never be allowed to rise again or else this ponzi will dislocate in an American minute.

One of the Fed's stated goals is to prop up the coffers of the local taxing entities. That plan seems to be going well here in Austin.

The capital markets have disconnected from the real economy. We have crony capitalism, not free markets.

It must be nice to have the power to print unlimited amounts of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin