Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times

Advertisements

One of our next door neighbor are really nice and have been so very helpful to us so this is kinda tough. Their AC unit is right by the dividing fence - maybe a foot space between the unit and the fence on their side and the ground there is kinda sloped (lower on our side). Now it seems their AC unit (only noticeable in the last 2 months or so when their AC came on) comes out with an crazy amount of water that its created a small swamp/pond on our side of the fence. Its so bad that all the grass there on our side is gone. The space is probably about 4 or 5 sq ft. so its not little. My problem is we now have stagnant water in our backyard (more like side of our house). The water that collects there is at least a few inches deep. And i think it will just become a breeding ground for all sorts of bugs and mosquitoes.

I went over there maybe early may - for something else and i mentioned it and he came and had a look and said he will definitely have the AC unit looked at. Fast forward 2 weeks ago and its even worse and I saw him outside and mentioned it and he said.. oh, is it still happening? Their side is only really wet and sticky and not collecting water like our side since it slopes.. he again had a look and said he will pour some sand and get the AC looked at. But nothing yet. We had a sprinkler guy come over today and he said that he thinks the AC water thingy (that allows the AC water to be removed through the house's plumbing must be blocked and would probably get worse.

Now I dont know what to do, I've mentioned it to him 2x and nothing has been done. We can get the sand ourselves but if the AC keeps discharging that much water, i fear the problem will continue.

What else can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
If their A/C air handler is in the attic, they are headed for serious trouble if that line blocks up. If the line draining into the plumbing stack is blocked, that condensation will simply flood whatever is underneath! Our overflow to the outside was seriously running last year before we had it serviced(inspection didn't mention this) and it left gallons of water between our two units, creating a bit of a mucky bug attracting hazard.

Fortunately, we were able to get the interior drain line repaired and all is well; but just imagine that much water INside the house.

It's not going to get better with 4 months of summer upon us. You really need to talk to the neighbors again!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I'd look at the drainage on your lot in that area, and maybe try to improve it to move the water away. If it's puddling from the A/C discharge from your neighbor, it will be puddling with a downpour of rain too.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'd look at the drainage on your lot in that area, and maybe try to improve it to move the water away. If it's puddling from the A/C discharge from your neighbor, it will be puddling with a downpour of rain too.
I reckon they will be able to test that theory TONIGHT !

Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 PM
yam

228 posts, read 887,376 times
That's good water, and it shows up when your plants need it most (hot summer days). Could you route the AC runoff onto your plants or the neighbors? It likely comes out through a standard PVC pipe that would be easy to extend a few feet to the nearest bush or tree. Turn a liability into an asset.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:51 PM

319 posts, read 346,027 times
Keep in mind the water isn't coming from their AC unit. It's coming from a condensate drain pipe from their air handler/fan unit, which is inside the house. Apparently that pipe exits near their outside AC unit.

Since they are friends, see if you can help them route the pipe to a different location. It is only a few dollars for PVC, glue, and a hacksaw to fix the problem.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
The bigger problem here is that the condenser unit should not be draining outside. That means the designed/intended drain line is clogged and the emergency overflow pan is draining outside.

That too will clog and cause a massive amount of water damage in their home.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times
Thanks guys. We've decided that what we are going to do is to get bags of sand from HD or anywhere that sells sand to at least remove the puddle. Maybe put some rocks on top as well to increase the elevation of that place. And the water from their house will stop flowing down to us.

In the meantime, my husband will go over there perhaps me saying it didn't convey the right measure of importance.. Lol.

Road warrior - yeah what you said is what the sprinkler guy told me. I just couldn't remember all the drain, overflow and clog phrases he'd used. Thanks for reminding me...lol

Rick - I checked your theory, still looks the same after the storm. It could well be that is not but what's a fee extra inches of water to mosquitoes... Lol

Ranger - we'd be happy to do it since they've been quite friendly to us but not sure how to broach that. Because ultimately will have to go into their yard to do that. Also worried that if there's a clog somewhere like everyone is saying, wouldn't want their house to be damaged if it can be prevented so I'm gonna assume that they don't know and mention the information that I got

Yam - is to far from our plants. Would mean having done random hose/pipe running across the backyard. Their yard is smaller with lots of plants so I will suggest that as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
The bigger problem here is that the condenser unit should not be draining outside. That means the designed/intended drain line is clogged and the emergency overflow pan is draining outside.

That too will clog and cause a massive amount of water damage in their home.
The condensor does not make water. The evaporator does. It is normal to drain the water to the outside. You might want to do a google search for "how AC works." Your post makes no sense.

Don in Austin

Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Thanks guys. We've decided that what we are going to do is to get bags of sand from HD or anywhere that sells sand to at least remove the puddle. Maybe put some rocks on top as well to increase the elevation of that place. And the water from their house will stop flowing down to us.

In the meantime, my husband will go over there perhaps me saying it didn't convey the right measure of importance.. Lol.

Road warrior - yeah what you said is what the sprinkler guy told me. I just couldn't remember all the drain, overflow and clog phrases he'd used. Thanks for reminding me...lol

Rick - I checked your theory, still looks the same after the storm. It could well be that is not but what's a fee extra inches of water to mosquitoes... Lol

Ranger - we'd be happy to do it since they've been quite friendly to us but not sure how to broach that. Because ultimately will have to go into their yard to do that. Also worried that if there's a clog somewhere like everyone is saying, wouldn't want their house to be damaged if it can be prevented so I'm gonna assume that they don't know and mention the information that I got

Yam - is to far from our plants. Would mean having done random hose/pipe running across the backyard. Their yard is smaller with lots of plants so I will suggest that as well.
There is not necessarily a clog in their AC system. AC cools as much by dehumidifying the air as it does by dropping the temperature. If the evaporator drain was clogged the water would be in the house instead of coming out the drain to the outside. Pulling lots of water is in indication the AC is working effectively. Just The AC drips water from under your car. If you want to stop mosquitoes from breeding, simply spray a little vegetable oil on the water for an immediate measure.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 06-13-2014 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin