Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post

I was wondering where the best areas to live in & around Austin would be in regards to top public schools?

The job would be a bit north of the Colorado River (Closer than Univ of Texas and also the capitol), and just west of I-35. GOOD INFO.

budget would be up to $600,000 or so. GOOD INFO.

Thanks
The best public (non-charter) High Schools in greater Austin are (in order):

- Westwood (rrisd)
- Westlake (eisd)

- Anderson (aisd)
- Lake Travis (ltisd)

- McCallum (aisd)
- McNeil (rrisd)
- Dripping (dsisd)
- Vandergrift lisd)

- Cedar Park (lisd)
- Bowie (aisd)

I would look into residential areas that feed into one of these schools. With your budget, you can probably find something in all of these areas. Might be a good idea to rent for 3-6 months to get your bearings.

Note: My rank is based on Sat Scores, AP testing & actual AP scores. (not touch feely terms like "exemplary" & it also doesn't take into account how well the bottom 3% of the students in the school are improving).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
I think the "Regulars" are burned out with answering the same questions. Here's a thought, if you can't provide a Helpful answer, keep the snarky to yourself and refrain from posting. Someone will answer and if they don't they don't.

Depending on your commute tolerance you can get a lot more for your money the further away from downtown you get. Dripping Springs ISD (ISD means Independent school District here and has nothing to do with County lines, it's a little confusing) Leander ISD, Round Rock ISD, Eanes ISD and Lake Travis ISD are all considered good. Some schools in Austin ISD are good too, like Anderson High, Hill Elementary and others in that area.

78750 area is considered to be one of the best school tracts (RR ISD) in addition to Eanes area. But it is also highly competitive academically at the H.S. Level with a large Asian population. There are other schools that are more sport oriented. There are also Charter and private school options.

What is a "Good school" and a "nice area" to one person may not be the same for everyone.

We moved here last year and figuring out schools vs commute is overwhelming. We rented for a year and are changing schools and location now. Thought I had it all figured out after thorough research and a house hunting trip. But it took living here for a while to really know what was right. Of course if we had a $600k budget, it would have been easier

Really it would be wise to come out for a week or long weekend and drive everywhere and test out commute times for various areas. Then find a couple areas you feel fits your family and lifestyle best and then hone in on the schools.

Get a good Realtor. You can't do this on your own, even with the magic Search Function.
good post.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
1) I answered the first question in my OP.
2) If house size/age was that important, I would have listed it along with my budget and job location
3) I answered question 3 in my OP as well.
4) If commute was important, I would have listed that as well.
5) If I needed something more specific than "top public schools" I would have listed it
6) If I had a need to keep chickens, horses, or had an odd hobby that required special accommodations, I would have listed it.
7) If I had special entertainment needs, I would have listed that as well.
8) if the neighborhood was that important, I would have listed it. School quality was the focus of my search.
9) These questions are not as important as what I had asked for in my OP. If I needed to be close to a specific location, I would have listed it. If I needed a short commute, I would have said that, and it would would also be repeating my answer from #4. Same with entertainment in question #7.
The commute should be important. It's important to us because people on the road affects all of us (in lots of ways). But thanks for putting your job location & budget in your OP.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
By sheer numbers, maybe. By percentage of population, no.

Plain and simple, your question has been asked and answered 100 times at least. SW Austin, Eanes, Hyde Park, etc. all good options some you only care about spending $600K and schools.

You'll run into this more than just on the board, we're sick of people moving here.
This.

But I'd add NW Austin to the above locations. Neighborhoods that feed into WWood, McNeil, Anderson & McCallum should also be on his list (probably more so than SW given his job location & desire for "top" schools).

Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
Whatever you do, don't look at Dripping. It's not for you and you'd hate it. Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
The best public (non-charter) High Schools in greater Austin are (in order):

- Westwood (rrisd)
- Westlake (eisd)

- Anderson (aisd)
- Lake Travis (ltisd)

- McCallum (aisd)
- McNeil (rrisd)
- Dripping (dsisd)
- Vandergrift lisd)

- Cedar Park (lisd)
- Bowie (aisd)

I would look into residential areas that feed into one of these schools. With your budget, you can probably find something in all of these areas. Might be a good idea to rent for 3-6 months to get your bearings.

Note: My rank is based on Sat Scores, AP testing & actual AP scores. (not touch feely terms like "exemplary" & it also doesn't take into account how well the bottom 3% of the students in the school are improving).
Thanks - most likely I'd rent on my own at first while my wife put our home on the market back in CT. However, I'd probably want to find something by the end of the summer before the school year started - or, at least a rental in the area where I'd want to eventually settle.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
The commute should be important. It's important to us because people on the road affects all of us (in lots of ways). But thanks for putting your job location & budget in your OP.
Maybe I should have said this - "tell me which schools are the best public middle/junior high schools and best public high schools in the Austin area, and I can decide which homes in those areas we would like and how far I can commute?"

Old 06-23-2014, 07:59 PM

88 posts, read 106,331 times
I'd look at Eanes, Lake Travis, or Dripping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin