Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Okay, I had the day off so decided to do a little road trip. Went down to Black's BBQ in Lockhart, which is rated #1 on tripadvisor, then went to the Spoetzel brewery (Shiner) and then to the "Watermelon Thump" in Luling. Had a really enjoyable day. Some points to note:

* Black's BBQ had around a 15 minute line. I ordered beef ribs, they were the best I've ever had. The potato salad was delicious, in the top 10% of potato salads I've had. I also had pecan cobbler, it wasn't much to write home about. My wife had brisket, which was inferior to Franklin but better than many others in Austin. However, she had some of my beef ribs and also said they were the best she's ever had. She also had black-eyed peas with green beans and deviled eggs, all were good.

* The Spoetzel brewery only gives tours M-F, the last tour was at 1:30 and we got there at 1:45 but still made the tour. It was jam packed with tourists mainly from Houston and San Antonio. We were the only Austinites there. Oddly there were many Dallasites there too, weird considering the distance. The tour is very short but you get 4 free beers from the tap, very nice. We sat outside on the patio and drank our fill.

* Next up was the Watermelon Thump in Luling. They had a carnival and all the standard carnival fare, but also watermelons galore. There was a watermelon spitting contest for the children, and other watermelon festivities.

So, I did find out other things to do in the area. It was enjoyable and I'm glad I've done them. These are "been there done that" kind of things though. So I'll keep digging for new things. Next up is probably touring the Bluebell factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 04:51 AM

320 posts, read 486,793 times
Sounds fun, thanks for sharing. Will have to try!

Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
You night want to try the glass bottomed boat tour in Aquarena Springs, too.

Only problem with the Bluebell tour is that you're likely to discover a new flavor of Bluebell that you're addicted to!

While you're in Brenham, you might want to check out Washington on the Brazos State Historic Site. Or over to Royers Cafe in Round Top for lunch and/or pie.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:48 AM

I'd like to say that SH130 makes it a breeze to get down to Lockhart. The speed limit of 85 is very nice! With all the above average rains we've been having, everything is as green as Ireland!

I recommend any barbecue afficionados to consider driving down to Lockhart and getting Black's BBQ instead of waiting 3 hours for Franklin BBQ. Just make sure you order beef ribs.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:23 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
I'm a big fan of Black's.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:27 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I recommend any barbecue afficionados to consider driving down to Lockhart and getting Black's BBQ instead of waiting 3 hours for Franklin BBQ. Just make sure you order beef ribs.
By the end of summer, you won't have to drive to Lockhart.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 AM

Well, they aren't exactly the same now are they:

"Kent Black also reiterated that Terry Black's Barbecue, owned by his brother and nephews and set to open soon, is not affiliated with Black's of Lockhart, though he wishes them the best."

Old 06-28-2014, 12:01 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well, they aren't exactly the same now are they:

"Kent Black also reiterated that Terry Black's Barbecue, owned by his brother and nephews and set to open soon, is not affiliated with Black's of Lockhart, though he wishes them the best."
Guess you missed the part right before that:

Quote:
Update: Kent Black of Black's Barbecue in Lockhart confirms that his family's business will expand its reach to Guadalupe Street this summer. The Blacks will bring in their barbecue daily from the Lockhart location. They hope to open sometime this summer.
So yes - what opens this summer is the same. It is the nephews that are already open on Barton Springs that aren't affiliated.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:14 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
Wow, real Black's going to be just down the street in the old Boomerang Pie location on Guadalupe!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
As long as we have derailed...Looks like a place called The Slab is moving into the spot left by Texas Rib Kings in Furniture Row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin