U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:07 PM

110 posts, read 466,057 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody --

I went on MySpace (AAAUUUGHHHH!!) and did a search on some of the local high schools in the W-NW outskirts (Lake Travis, Westlake, Cedar Park). I found a lot of kids from these schools on there, and the pictures & videos made me think that they do nothing except drink and party. I can't tell you how many stoned or drunk girls and boys I saw with tongue piercings, a counter full of empty Keystone Lights (this is an outrage right there ) and they looked like they were in their parent's homes! Seriously, I'm not a prude, but this surprised and disappointed me. I know kids are kids and they drink, but I found lots of kids from all different schools groups (football, band, cheerleaders, etc) hanging on each other with red, half-shut eyes, and captions like "drunk-a$$ b*tches", "wasted again", and "seriously f**ked up". It seemed like a regular thing.

As a parent of two boys, both on the cusp of teenage-dom, I'm concerned. So ... to search for opinions from the city-data parents & scholars:

1) Is underage drinking and partying a big problem in Austin? Is drinking a big part of the youth culture?
2) If so, why? Isn't there enough to do to keep the kids busy or interested in other things?
3) Is there a big problem with drinking and driving (cars or boats)?
4) What do teenage kids there do for fun besides drink and party?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,031,883 times
Westwood HS isn't nicknamed Wastewood for nothing.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:25 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,746,725 times
Weren't you ever a teenager?
If so, you should try to remember what it was like - maybe myspace didn't exist but you can bet that excessive drinking and swearing did.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 PM

12,807 posts, read 28,826,226 times
The teenage culture out there is the same as everywhere else, I suspect.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:43 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
It's no different today than it was years ago. There wasn't a myspace to see it for yourself.

Friday/Saturday night drinking parties are high on teenager's lists.

You can only keep them locked in the house so long..eventually they will have to make the right decisions.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The teenage culture out there is the same as everywhere else, I suspect.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say.
Also, I'm always a bit taken aback when people show surprise that athletes, cheerleaders, school-band members, and other traditionally "good kids" join in the party.
I have not been in high school for quite a while, but I make a point to remember what it was like - and I remember distinctly that excessive drinking/partying was not exclusive to any group. Even the Christian kids in my school were known to get pretty wasted.
This may sound pessimistic, but it doesn't seem to me that any amount of wholesome activities that a city offers will put an end to this behavior.
That said, I'm sure that Austin has plenty of fun and interesting things that can occupy teenagers legally, and that may cut down on the overall number of drunk students. But probably not by a whole lot.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:06 PM

110 posts, read 466,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Weren't you ever a teenager?
If so, you should try to remember what it was like - maybe myspace didn't exist but you can bet that excessive drinking and swearing did.
Of course, and I said that I understand that it exists in my post. But you can't be blind to the fact that if there's less to do, less to keep kids busy, no matter where you are you will more likely fall into doing what's easy, or what "other kids" do, etc etc. This (and poor parental involvement) has been studied as the main reason kids fall into gangs or drugs or yes, excessive alcohol drinking.

So ... I wasn't asking whether it exists (of course it exists), I'm asking whether anyone believes it to be a problem that is worse in Austin (or Texas) because kids perceive that there is less to keep them occupied. You don't think so; thanks for your vote.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionid View Post
So ... I wasn't asking whether it exists (of course it exists), I'm asking whether anyone believes it to be a problem that is worse in Austin (or Texas) because kids perceive that there is less to keep them occupied. You don't think so; thanks for your vote.
Correct. And to answer your question further, I think that Austin probably offers quite a bit more positive things for teenagers to do than many other cities. Maybe others with teenage kids can answer more specifically. I doubt that a majority of Austin's teenagers sit around and drink/do drugs because they feel overly bored. There is a lot of life here. I don't know about the rest of Texas.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:26 PM

216 posts, read 908,397 times
Default Austin Statesman

"Some parents argue, "Well, we all did it when the drinking age was 18." Yes, and we didn't ride in car seats as babies or wear seatbelts either. I'd argue many of us are lucky to still be here. How does it make you a hypocrite if you don't want your children to do what you did in the 1970s? It doesn't. Instead, it makes you a good parent. Sure, your children will probably go off to college and drink, but it won't be with your sanction, and it won't be in the middle of nowhere. Does our daughter follow our zero tolerance policy? No, but whenever she's caught breaking our rules, we apply consequences. "

Here is the article, Just thought it was relevant to this thread:

http://www.statesman.com/editorial/content/editorial/stories/12/18/1219stevenson_edit.html?cxntlid=inform (broken link)

Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 PM

106 posts, read 355,156 times
I don't see how high school drinking and smoking are any different here than many other cities. In fact, I'd say Austin at least gives kids an option to do other things, which many towns don't. Kids party for the same reason adults do...it's fun, takes the edge off, lets them relax, etc., etc. They're experimenting, and no amount of other options can dull curiosity.
You mentioned drinking in their parent's homes...didn't your parents ever go out for a weekend and you try to pull one over on them and have a party? I think there's plenty for kids to do here, but that doesn't exactly curb drinking.
As long as you let your kids know that you'll pick them up, no questions asked and no punishment if they call you instead of driving drunk or getting in a car with a drunk driver...they aren't likely to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or