Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 AM

317 posts, read 840,503 times

Advertisements

I have an interview in Austin and in trying to determine reasonable salary, Im trying to gauge what my minimum expectations should be for rent cost.

Right now, I'm asking for a low to mid 50k salary, and with that, if I spend 1000 for rent, that puts me with a couple hundred to spare per month. not a lot, but at least I'm not going negative. Ofcourse, the lower rent the better so I can fund my savings even more.

My question is, what would a $1000 rent give me in the Austin area? Right now, I'm looking for a 1 bedroom, or even a studio. size wise, even anything under 400sqft will work. I want a place in a safe area. While all places have their fair share of crimes, I'm looking for the one that is on the lesser end. Somehwere where a female can feel safe and comfortable. I prefer to have a 'nice' apartment, - meaning updated, fully functional equipment, and is not broken here and there. The bonus would be if it was in an urban area, with a modern look, but not fully required.

no need to consider kids, school or anything. this will be for 2 adults

Should $1000 be my budget? higher? can I get away with going lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:09 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
$1000 per month sounds alright since you are willing to live in such a small apartment. $1200 would give you a little more breathing room. My experience around here lately has been that apartment complexes in the Austin area will definitely raise your rent (maybe considerably) after your initial lease is up. So when you find a place for $985 per month that has all your wants on a 12 month lease, be prepared for the rent to go up around $100-$150 on the lease the following year. This might not happen, but it has been pretty common the past few years around here. I've pasted a couple examples so you can check out pricing.

Walking distance to the Domain with places just under $1000 on 12 month leases (very safe area as long as you don't wander off too far in the wrong direction):
Apartment For Rent - Austin TX - IMT at The Domain

Arboretum Area still within walking distance to a few things and a very safe area (some car break-ins in the non-gated places around there, but very little real crime):
Arboretum Austin Apartments | Marquis at Great Hills Austin, TX 78759

The main question at this point is in what part of Austin is the possible workplace located? You might want to factor in apartment pricing that is within close proximity to where you'll be working. Being stuck in traffic for an hour could happen in the Austin area, but I know a lot of people that only have 15 minute commutes as well. Even the nicest areas of Austin will still have property crime (car break-ins), but generally very little "real" crime.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 PM

19 posts, read 21,793 times
As always, where your office is located is key. Work backwards from there. No sense living at Arboretum/Domain if you work in South Austin.

"But I won't mind the congestion". You will.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
At 50k and above, you can have MANY options available to you, even if you have to go above 1k per month.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:02 AM

80 posts, read 121,778 times
I'm in what you're describing right now. Playing geographical bachelor for a while until the fam makes it out here.

1/1 560sf. 2nd floor with patio and walk in closet. W/D hookups, fireplace.

I work south of UT and live off of IH35 near Tech Ridge = 10 mile commute. From what I have observed- a lot of apts around here in that range. The community is gated and I am pleasantly pleased how my neighbors keep to themselves.

My lease, two months ago, was mid-$700s. Two weeks after I moved, I looked and saw they were into the low $800s. The board in the rental office has been showing 96+ % occupancy.

You didn't ask but based on your salary I'll put it out there. Utilities have been running < $100 a month. I don't have cable and work pretty standard hours. I brought 2 cats with me so I don't let the temps get out of hand w/ the A/C- 78 setting in the AM, 74 when I return.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 AM

78 posts, read 123,412 times
Where are you going to work?! If you want to live central in a new place like you want, it is going to be closer to 2 thousand. I know someone who lives in a studio apartment the Gables above Luke's Locker on Lamar and pays over $1,700! It's a big studio though.

If you want to stay centrally located you're going to have to go with something older. One thousand dollars is a lot but wont get you that far if you are central. But again, where are you going to work? Most apartments up north are both new and nice (and cheap!), but if you are going to be working off of Slaughter, you DEFINITELY WOULD NOT WANT TO LIVE UP NORTH. I live 4 miles from downtown and sometimes it can take 20-30 minutes to get there in gridlock traffic.

I know people who live in 2 bedrooms on lamar and total rent is 2600. Prices here are crazy.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 PM

615 posts, read 780,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
Right now, I'm asking for a low to mid 50k salary, and with that, if I spend 1000 for rent, that puts me with a couple hundred to spare per month.
Why would you only have "a couple hundred to spare per month," if you're making $50k or more? You're monthly take-home pay for a 50k salary would be around $3,050. So, assuming $1,000 per month for rent, you'd have more than $2,000 left over.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 AM

317 posts, read 840,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Why would you only have "a couple hundred to spare per month," if you're making $50k or more? You're monthly take-home pay for a 50k salary would be around $3,050. So, assuming $1,000 per month for rent, you'd have more than $2,000 left over.
haha. true. I also estimating my other costs, car, insurance, internet, groceries etc etc.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:58 PM

36 posts, read 75,253 times
Unless you are paying a huge amount for a car payment you will have no problem making ends meet with a 50K income and $1000 rent. My apt rent is $850 and is 1/1, on the first floor, attached garage and in a nice area.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Spending over 30% of your income on housing (and utilities) has traditionally been considered to be really high. However it is becoming more and more common in Austin. Sadly this probably means that people are not saving or putting away much money for their retirement years.

Quote:
Austin

Austin renters now spend more than 30 percent of their income on housing, more than renters in any other big Texas city.

Rising costs
There is ample evidence backing residents’ concerns about affordability. The typical property-tax bill rose 38 percent between 2000 and 2010, even adjusting for inflation, according to a 2012 American-Statesman analysis. The average Austin rent now stands at just above $1,000 a month, the highest it has ever been. It rose 50 percent from 2004 to 2013, according to Capitol Market Research, even as the median income rose just 9 percent over that span, according to the Texas A&M Real Estate Center.

Historically, affordability has been one of Austin’s central appeals. Even slackers have been able to make it here. In the 15-year span from 1985 to 2000, Austin renters spent just more than 20 percent of their after-tax income on housing. That made Austin the cheapest among Texas’ big cities, according to Zillow Real Estate Research. The Texas capital was below the national average.

Now, housing takes 30 percent of Austin renters’ income, more than the national average and more than in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. That is also above the “red line” that experts say is more than a household should be paying for both housing and utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin