Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,032,645 times

Advertisements

Many of the threads about Austin deal with the growth of the area and the urban sprawl. Traffic issues, commute times, taxes, and many other topics come back to the growth and the immense tracts of land being eaten up by single family housing developments.

If offered the opportunity to live in more urban style housing, whether it be "row" houses after the European models, four or eight family units, or larger developments of condo style developments - would you do it?http://www.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/think.gif Are we, as a society, ready to give up our American dream of 3bdr/2 garage stalls in exchange for less sprawl?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,471,770 times
For me personally? No way in hell. I did my time in apartments and townhouses and really disliked the high density and shared space with so many people (including many who had filthy habits and did their best to drag down the entire complex).

I disliked having to listen to strangers fight, party, have sex, yell at their kids, crank up tv and stereo volumes, etc. day in and day out. I disliked the strong cooking odors coming out of multiple kitchens crammed closely together. I disliked shared facilities like laundry rooms and pools that were mistreated and abused by uncaring neighbors. I disliked seeing children run unsupervised through parking lots and damage cars. I disliked the 'transient' feel of people constantly coming and going.

Everyone's experience will vary, and for many people high-density housing just works. For me, living in high-density housing in the VERY urban Bay Area encouraged me to save my money and buy a house as quickly as I possibly could and I never looked back.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM

13,440 posts, read 15,390,318 times
Never. I'll never deal with shared neighbors ever again. Even now, the next home we purchase will be on a 1/2 acre or more lot.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Never. I'll never deal with shared neighbors ever again. Even now, the next home we purchase will be on a 1/2 acre or more lot.
It's utterly blissful to have the extra space and the peace and quiet that come with it. At night I hear crickets and see stars and count my blessings. In exchange for our land (just under 2 acres) we got a 1978 turd of a house that has required updating from top to bottom. It was a compromise we've not regretted once!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM

3,429 posts, read 4,427,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Many of the threads about Austin deal with the growth of the area and the urban sprawl. Traffic issues, commute times, taxes, and many other topics come back to the growth and the immense tracts of land being eaten up by single family housing developments.

If offered the opportunity to live in more urban style housing, whether it be "row" houses after the European models, four or eight family units, or larger developments of condo style developments - would you do it?http://www.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/think.gif Are we, as a society, ready to give up our American dream of 3bdr/2 garage stalls in exchange for less sprawl?
Is this a poll for some organization to push another densification scheme to the Austin city council?

There are plenty of 3 bdr/2 garage stall townhomes and condos around. Perhaps what you are promoting is "condos vs. single family homes" as opposed to fewer or greater number of bedrooms.

The proponents of these schemes ignore many negatives about them. Involuntary membership in a condo corporation is a big negative. The faux "shared space" is a big negative. The perpetual liens that can never be paid off are a big negative. Mismanagement, embezzlement, foreclosure, lawsuits, "special assessments", etc. are just a few of the regularly occurring negative events in these places. Of course, all of Nor Cal Whine's examples likewise apply.

Not sure what you are defining to be "urban sprawl" or what is negative about it (as implied) but I don't see your "solution" as solving any of the issues you raised. If anything you can expect an increase in congestion because of the densification.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Of course, all of Nor Cal Whine's examples likewise apply.
Considering my stated opinion on the subject on hand, I'm willing to ignore this humorous gaffe of yours.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,032,645 times
IC - I am just a guy moving to Austin and tired of hearing about how locals hate the sprawl, bass turd people moving in and ruining the city and so on. I'm hoping some of the complainers might man up and admit they would never live in anything other than single family housing either.

I give a crap about urban sprawl in Austin since I am cutting my current commute in half to make more money and live in a bigger house by moving there. Just wanted to start a thread that gets people to admit they won't live in "densified" housing anyway.

And, Captain Obvious, I didn't imply urban sprawl was negative. I said many posts on CD deal with it as such. I also didn't offer a solution, I posed a question.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,368,192 times
I just barely tolerate having neighbors 15 feet on one side and 10 on the other. So, no, no shared walls/floors/ceilings for me.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,487,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Considering my stated opinion on the subject on hand, I'm willing to ignore this humorous gaffe of yours.
That was a good one!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:56 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,010,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
IC - I am just a guy moving to Austin and tired of hearing about how locals hate the sprawl, bass turd people moving in and ruining the city and so on. I'm hoping some of the complainers might man up and admit they would never live in anything other than single family housing either.

I give a crap about urban sprawl in Austin since I am cutting my current commute in half to make more money and live in a bigger house by moving there. Just wanted to start a thread that gets people to admit they won't live in "densified" housing anyway.

And, Captain Obvious, I didn't imply urban sprawl was negative. I said many posts on CD deal with it as such. I also didn't offer a solution, I posed a question.
And how will you feel if you get people to admit the obvious and documented truth that most people would prefer living in a single family detached home? Will you feel like Austin is more deserving of you as a new resident?

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin