Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Providing these existing property owners with a reasonable green buffer between their property and the trail is in my opinion the decent thing the City should try to provide.
Section 3.5 of the trail master plan calls for just this.

Would make me slightly less unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
I am becoming more used to the idea of a trail behind the house if the plan is approved. Thank you to those that said a trail would be a bonus and not an automatic property value hit.

The plan on the Violet Crown Trail website is not the current "favorite" plan. We were out of town and missed the meeting on 7-30 but have been told the path would be right beside our property line because the dry creek does flood and they want it as far away from the creek as possible. I have had water up to my property line before so it would still be subject to flood erosion but not very often.

Here is what we see now when we look out. The bird feeder is on the property line.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
FWIW, properties in Barton Hills who back up to the trail or have trail access have seen a value boost from their location.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
IF the trails continue to be connected via separate routes from traffic (Steve has mentioned some of the major current issues), then there is the potential that the trial could become a huge plus at some time in the distant (or maybe not so distant) future. I would LOVE to be able to bike to work from that general area, but I will not as long as I have to share the road with the morning commuter traffic at a few key points. If those were addressed at some point, I would gladly ditch the car for much of the year, and in the summer traffic is not that bad anyway on my commute.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
FWIW.

Personally if I were a potential home buyer it would be slightly more desirable than what your currently have so I think you will actually come out ahead in this scenario.

I have no idea how the COA handles these things but would it be remotely possible to get them to pony up some money towards a fence for you and your neighbors?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
I am beginning to see a trail as a plus. Initial shock had be thinking the worst but now that I am coming around they will probably go with a different route. I do wish the website for the trail had the info they put out at the meeting. Here is a link to the Westcreek link on the trail with a picture of the proposed trail.

Proposed Trails In/Around Westcreek – Unveiled at Violet Crown Trail Open House « Westcreek Neighborhood Association

Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
We seriously considered a house in Avery Ranch with the 'private' extension of the Brushy Creek Trail running just a few feet from the property line. In fact, as we were standing on the deck overlooking the trail, a rider came by on a mountain bike and it seemed to be an omen. Alas, there was no 3rd garage bay

I'm near certain all Avery Ranch homes on the BC Trail or AR golf course have HOA maintained steel fences along the rear property line. Not cheap to install OR maintain.

Didn't we have a poster a year or two ago in Brushy Creek/Sendero Springs or thereabouts who was about to 'receive' a trail just off their property line? Not sure what ever came of that.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Then again there could be added benefits watching some of the joggers go by....

moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 08-06-2014 at 04:59 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
FWIW.

Personally if I were a potential home buyer it would be slightly more desirable than what your currently have so I think you will actually come out ahead in this scenario.

I have no idea how the COA handles these things but would it be remotely possible to get them to pony up some money towards a fence for you and your neighbors?
I agree, I bet you can get the COA to buy you a fence.

I also think this will be a huge benefit to have a direct connection to zilker/downtown. I would pay extra for that.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Then again there could be added benefits watching some of the joggers go by....
The habitat for that species doesn't extend south of Barton Springs Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin