Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
Cars are not evil. They have a role to play in any modern city, including ones like New York and London. However, cars are harmful to the environment and many people in Austin want to rely on them less. They should have safe, efficient, and viable options. That includes robust public transit and, yes, sidewalks. This can be done. Likewise, urban environments can accommodate those who like to drive without encouraging sprawl.
Oh I think you're past that point as the sprawl has well been underway for a number of years.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I think you're past that point as the sprawl has well been underway for a number of years.
You can probably never entirely stop sprawl, but you can certainly avoid having _literally every single land use regulation and economic policy encouraging it_.

1. Subsidized utility hookups for exurban development
2. mandatory parking minimums
3. subsidized driving/roads
etc.
etc.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
You can probably never entirely stop sprawl, but you can certainly avoid having _literally every single land use regulation and economic policy encouraging it_.

1. Subsidized utility hookups for exurban development.
Urban mythology. Until this year, Austin had lower hookup fees for urban development than exurban. Now, they are all the same.

Besides, the "exurban" sprawl isn't inside Austin, so it is hard to see how Austin ratepayers are subsidizing it.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 AM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I also hear an underlying message in a lot of these discussions of "How is Austin going to attract more people that agree with me that cars are evil and one can't possibly have quality of life in a car-centered community if it doesn't remake itself into the kind of community I want, damn the cost to everyone else who are perfectly happy with their cars".
Not a surprising perspective for an out-of-town landlord who has made it clear, time and time again, that she doesn't want any of her rental-property tax dollars going to any projects that improve the quality of life for actual residents of Austin.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Urban mythology. Until this year, Austin had lower hookup fees for urban development than exurban. Now, they are all the same.
How is that an urban legend? It costs way more to serve exurban locations, and Austin charges the same. That encourages exurban growth (sprawl).

Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Don't know if I agree with the statement that light rail repels development.

I was just in Portland, and the major development area seems to be in the Lloyd District on near NE side right where the light rail rolls by.

In fact, they temporarily closed one of the light rail stations so that they could build new buildings right next to it.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 08-12-2014 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
How is that an urban legend? It costs way more to serve exurban locations, and Austin charges the same. That encourages exurban growth (sprawl).
Please explain how new hookups in Cedar Park, Leander or Buda are paid for by Austin water and wastewater rate payers.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Please explain how new hookups in Cedar Park, Leander or Buda are paid for by Austin water and wastewater rate payers.
Who said cedar park, leander or Buda? I'm talking about exurban growth in Austin.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Not a surprising perspective for an out-of-town landlord who has made it clear, time and time again, that she doesn't want any of her rental-property tax dollars going to any projects that improve the quality of life for actual residents of Austin.
You would have a lot more credibility were you to make the same criticism of one of your likemindeds who lives 1,500 miles away. Otherwise, it looks like an attempt to discount a discordant voice.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Who said cedar park, leander or Buda? I'm talking about exurban growth in Austin.
Again, change the question when you can't answer it. Where in Austin - City of - is exurban growth a problem?

Sprawl in the Austin area has ZERO to do with COA hookup fees. It is happening well outside the service area. So it ISN'T being subsidized by Austin ratepayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin