Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

I recently saw information for the 24th Annual Austin Hot Sauce Festival on August 24. Seems pretty interesting, but how exactly does it work? They recommended bringing canned food as your "admission fee" & then you just roam the grounds trying out hot sauces? Do you try the hot sauce with food (meats, tortillas, what?) that is free or required to be purchased? Is there free water or free drinks or do you have to pay for drinks?

I was just wondering if anyone has attended a previous Austin Hot Sauce Festival and could explain more about how it works. The website didn't give me enough of the information I wanted, so I'm asking y'all! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I've attended many times. Yes, you just bring a few of cans of food and drop them off at the front, and they let you in.

There are vendor booths where you can taste their sauces, and they'll provide tortilla chips usually (always free), but you can buy their sauces as well.

Then there is one main tent where you sample all the sauces entered into the judging contests. Usually there are a lot of entries, maybe in the 100 or so range, and they typically have them separated in different lines for Red Sauce, Green Sauce, and Special Variety. They give you free tortilla chips to taste with, you just spoon a little sauce on one to taste. It's all free.

They have free water at stations. You can also buy bottled water and of course beer/wine. And they sell food.

Here are the main two things you need to know:

1) It's August, and that means it's gonna be hot. Usually really hot. Stay hydrated and use sunscreen.
2) Because it's a free event, it's usually packed and the lines can be very, very long. You might wait in line for 30 minutes or more out in the heat for just one vendor booth or one line in the main tent. Or you could get lucky and just wait a few minutes.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 AM

115 posts, read 223,244 times
Is this the one that's outside in the park? Super hot temp wise and way way over crowded? A 20 minute wait just to have a ship with sauce slasa? It's nothing great. The one that used to come to Austin up until about 10 years ago was the best. I believe it was put on by chili pepper magazine and held at Palmer event center. Air conditioned and not overly crowded. Also had really good vendors
As well. I think I they where run out of town like
Many other good things started
Setting up shop in Dallas. Not sure if it's held there annually anymore.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
It's a worth a visit and supports a good cause. One of the few remaining free events left IMO. I have been going a long time, even before I moved here. I love hot sauce!

Insider tip: bring your own chips.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Thanks for the information, everyone! However, why should I bring my own chips? Do they run out sometimes?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
A 20 minute wait to eat A chip with salsa on it? Crazy! That makes Franklin's lines look like nothing. Atleast you're getting a whole meal.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM

110 posts, read 241,597 times
I've gotten very little enjoyment out of free Austin events like this in the past. Anyone remember the Gypsy Trailer Food Festival a couple of years ago... total disaster.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM

The gypsies food trailer event is exactly what this reminded me off. Not worth it at all.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Thanks for the information, everyone! However, why should I bring my own chips? Do they run out sometimes?
They don't run out, but they won't give you much, either. Having your own supply couldn't hurt.

Everything you hear about the lines is true, but it's a case of "It's so crowded no one ever goes anymore". They must be doing something right, or it wouldn't be so popular. After 20+ years, they've stuck with the same formula -- August, free, bring on the people. You will love it or hate it, I suspect.

Reggieray - The other festival was called the Fiery Foods Festival. I think they had it in some other cities too. I agree, it was a nice event too, wish it were still around.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 PM

Atxcio, yes that was it. It looks like chili pepper magazine the main sponsor might have went out of operation a couple years ago. That show was
Really great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin