Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times

Advertisements

you'll never get a 4-6 story building in NW hills, maybe three stories -- and there are some existing in that size but no units anywhere close to 2500 sq feet!

Do it like fantasy football -- pretend to build it, factor in all the costs, pretty sure it can't be done as "affordable" unless highly subsidized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
- there are lots of people out there looking for UN-messed up period houses to buy and lovingly restore that are having a really hard time finding them because people decide to make the inside just like the new homes and ruin the house in the process.
I agree. Many 30 to 40 year old buyers who like modern architecture (which I do) are more than beginning to appreciate mid-20th century ramblers from the '50, and '60s. The style lends itself to modern without shouting modern and fits with the setting. Savvy owners can at least go in and restore these homes somewhat if modifications have been made, given the original plan and increasingly available retro materials, and they are.

However, those homes are rapidly disappearing before that's a possibility, demolished and forever unavailable. The homes that builders are replacing them with in their frenzy to take advantage of a hot market will cause design and material snickers in the next decade or so.

Last edited by capcat; 08-21-2014 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM

615 posts, read 780,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I agree. Many 30 to 40 year old buyers who like modern architecture (which I do) are more than beginning to appreciate mid-20th century ramblers from the '50, and '60s. The style lends itself to modern without shouting modern and fits with the setting. Savvy owners can at least go in and restore these homes somewhat if modifications have been made, given the original plan and increasingly available retro materials, and they are.

However, those homes are rapidly disappearing before that's a possibility, demolished and forever unavailable. The homes that builders are replacing them with in their frenzy to take advantage of a hot market will cause design and material snickers in the next decade or so.
When the majority of track housing in Austin is a virtual sea of identical beige boxes, these modern homes will continue to stand out as something unique, even as design tastes evolve.

Example:
2400 East 8th Street, Austin TX For Sale - Trulia

The mid century cottage that was demolished (below) on this lot was in no way architecturally significant or worth saving—just because it's old, doesn't mean it's worthy of restoration.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
When the majority of track housing in Austin is a virtual sea of identical beige boxes, these modern homes will continue to stand out as something unique, even as design tastes evolve.

Example:
2400 East 8th Street, Austin TX For Sale - Trulia

The mid century cottage that was demolished on this lot was in no way architecturally significant or worth saving—just because it's old, doesn't mean it's worthy of restoration.
Certainly. I didn't mean that it does.

That's a lovely home, btw. Not my favorite second story window styles, but it's a small thing with that design. With many of the new designs, that's not the case. I wouldn't take pictures of other people's homes and put them on the internet, but I could give you some examples of tear downs and replacements that are a shame.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Certainly. I didn't mean that it does.

That's a lovely home, btw. Not my favorite second story window styles, but it's a small thing with that design. With many of the new designs, that's not the case. I wouldn't take pictures of other people's homes and put them on the internet, but I could give you some examples of tear downs and replacements that are a shame.
Ah, gotcha.

And yeah, I've also seen some examples as you describe above. Specifically, one of my friends in Houston is guilty of this. They bought a lot with what I would consider a stunning mid-century modern home and tore it down to build a house that would work for their family. I have mixed feeling about that, but I suppose they had to do what was going to work best for them. And their new home is lovely. It's just a shame that the MCM home couldn't be saved.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,104 times
Classic postwar shack that is (way) past its useful life, Petro.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Classic postwar shack that is (way) past its useful life, Petro.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying. Totally agree.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
I want to live in central Austin, Northwest Hills preferably. I'd like to live on an upper floor of a modern 4-6 story building, with care taken to isolate noise between units. Less than 10 years old and 2500sf with common amenities (garden, playground, etc) and parking. It should be affordable, near the cost of construction and I don't mind having lots of people around to make it possible.

Can I have that? Right now I see overpriced gross old homes mostly.
Sounds like a fun project! A few million bucks and you could have a very popular piece of real estate!

Don't forget about the walkable trek to the local indie used bookstore, organic coffee shop, upscale re-sale boutique, urban farmers' market, train station(or gondola tower as long as you're dreaming), Car2Go space, frisbee golf course, bicycle shop AND a top-rated BBQ joint.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 PM

319 posts, read 610,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Don't forget about the walkable trek to the local indie used bookstore, organic coffee shop, upscale re-sale boutique, urban farmers' market, train station(or gondola tower as long as you're dreaming), Car2Go space, frisbee golf course, bicycle shop AND a top-rated BBQ joint.
I don't care much for the boutique or book stores but the rest sounds great! Maybe a rail trail and a dog park too while we're at it. Construction prices for those buildings aren't much different than SFHs. At current land prices, it should be doable for $400k - $500k per unit.

You were kidding right? I think the neighbors would violently riot. Of course, they'd probably insist on using sticks and stones so they wouldn't be much of a threat. We'll see I guess when that "mini domain" featuring a 20-story building gets approved on Spicewood

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM

319 posts, read 610,037 times
Quote:
Many 30 to 40 year old buyers who like modern architecture (which I do) are more than beginning to appreciate mid-20th century ramblers from the '50, and '60s. The style lends itself to modern without shouting modern and fits with the setting. Savvy owners can at least go in and restore these homes somewhat if modifications have been made, given the original plan and increasingly available retro materials, and they are.
Agreed. Some mid-century moderns are very interesting and worth preserving. I'm curious to know what all the anti-modern people think of this. TexasHorseLady?

Here's the scenario. You have a mid-century modern home in Allendale that's dilapidated. There weren't many homes in the neighborhood when it was built so one couldn't argue that it didn't fit in. Later, lots of traditional homes surrounded it so it currently doesn't fit in and the people who moved in later always thought it was an eye sore but it's still a piece of history. Which of these options would you consider acceptable?

1) Restoration to it's former glory. Example 1 , Example 2, Example 3
2) Tear down and replace with a traditional home. Example.
3) Tear down and replace with a new home matching it's former glory. Example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin