Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:35 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
How many hostels even provide lunch, let alone an organic one?

I think the African dust is getting to people.
Ha! But what about private hostels then??

Good catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
If only parents cared as much about curriculum changes as they do food in school.....

Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Why are these answers so hostel? This is a question many, many parents have these days. God forbid parents care about what their kids eat.

My little guy goes to private and we use Patricia's Lunchbox, but this clearly isn't a solution for everyone either.
Because the OP is talking a public school so it's our tax dollars they want to use to underwrite their kid's fancypants food. You want organic special snowflake food? Pack your kid's lunch and keep my wallet out of it.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,956 times
I had to laugh at the title of the thread....sorry.

Having suffered though my entire public school education here, I can promise you that packing your kids lunch is what you want to do. School lunches here are not something I have fond memories of, nor will I let me kids eat.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:23 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Because the OP is talking a public school so it's our tax dollars they want to use to underwrite their kid's fancypants food. You want organic special snowflake food? Pack your kid's lunch and keep my wallet out of it.
This pretty much nails it.

& the opinion is not hostile. Telling someone that you're not going to pay for a bunch of stuff that they WANT (as opposed to need) isn't a hostile opinion....it's pretty logical. (I tell it to my kid all the time).

Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
...in economically diverse public schools...a packed lunch (...and the implication of a stay-at-home mom to pack it) are a class marker...
Well, it shouldn't be. Some of the healthiest packed lunches I've seen have been prepared by employed moms. Many include items left over from the home-cooked dinner the night before.

But, I will say that the most consistently healthy lunches I've seen packed were by a stay at home dad. It was like a suitcase full of healthy food, every day.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I packed lunch for my son up until high school, and I was a working mom. This wasn't in Texas. I was very careful about food groups, organic if I could, but also very careful that all containers were reusable - no trash from his lunch, right down to the cloth napkin and the glass of milk with a top, and a reusable ice pack. Every now and then I would ask him what he thought of the lunches I packed. He always said that they were different than everyone else, but he never considered it bad. He liked his lunches. Sometimes I even packed extra food for the kids who got "bad" lunches packed (one of his friends routinely had a lunchbox full of candy, another used to have just white bread packed - I'm not kidding, just a bagguette of french bread.) From all the reports he gave, I knew he was the odd man out for getting healthy food, but as I said, he always liked it. As an adult, he still only eats healthy food. I could do this even though I was working because I had the lunch box partially ready by the time I went to bed, and only made the sandwich in the morning.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM

I did too, G Grasshopper. Also, dinner was usually prepped as much as it could be the night before or in the morning. You get used to that kind of strategic thinking. Taking care with food choices shouldn't imply stay at home mom.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Bento boxes are very popular in many of the more affluent school districts. I know one in the SA area in which some of the moms have formed a co-op of sorts and take turns providing bento lunches for their group's children.
Wasn't like that in the Seventies.

I have zero doubt this happens here in Austin today:

Quote:
9. The night before the first day of school prepare the bento boxes. Fill containers with organic, local strawberries intricately cut into the shapes of sea creatures. Include homemade, nut free granola made with certified gluten-free oats. Make a sandwich on vegan hemp bread out of tahini, kale and jicama. Form it into the shape of your child’s favorite Disney character. Make flowers out of non-dairy cheese slices, olives and seaweed. Photograph the finished Bento Box and post it to Instagram.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Wasn't like that in the Seventies.

I have zero doubt this happens here in Austin today:
Lol. Great link. (also the link within that one about 70's summers). Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to give you another rep just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: