Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There've been places to get good Cajun (some of it as good as I've had in Louisiana) for a LOT longer than ten years, just not downtown. You had to go to the dreaded suburbs (and sometimes to the small towns surrounding Austin) to find it (which, with a name like Jumonville, we definitely did). Unless, of course, you were invited to our house for gumbo and/or jambalaya or etouffe (depending on who was doing the cooking).
Honey, I've been getting good Cajun food for all those 10 years, but that's because I source the crawfish, boudin, and andouille sausage from Louisiana each time I go back, and I'm a good cook.

But I never pass up some good jambalaya or gumbo so let me know next time you make it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
fify.
touche'

Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Well, I'd like to hear what some Tonkawas & Comanches have to say about Mirabeau Lamar & Mr. Waller riding in here to gentrify Waterloo. And then the displaced Apaches might have a few comments about the Comanches.

Austinites have been complaining like this since I got here 1959 (was in high school by then).

Really ticked me off when some hippies took over my favorite roller skating rink and turned it into something called The Armadillo World Headquarters.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Austinites have been complaining like this since I got here 1959 (was in high school by then).
Unfortunately, complaining seems to be part of the human condition...

Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, I'd like to hear what some Tonkawas & Comanches have to say about Mirabeau Lamar & Mr. Waller riding in here to gentrify Waterloo. And then the displaced Apaches might have a few comments about the Comanches.

Really ticked me off when some hippies took over my favorite roller skating rink and turned it into something called The Armadillo World Headquarters.
As a sidebar, the history of the Comanches is absolutely fascinating as told by the book Empire of the Summer Moon.

Incredible, and at times horrifying, reading about how the hapless Comanche, lowest on the totem pole, so to speak, and basically a wandering band of sloven stone age dummies who received no respect from any other tribes, and lived on the margins, rose to power once they got ahold of horses. They inexplicably were born horsemen, geniuses actually, and, upon the horse, a conquering force unlike any ever seen in their heyday.

It's also the story of Cynthia Parker and her life with the Comanche and how she survived among them.

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History: S. C. Gwynne: 9781416591061: Amazon.com: Books

Steve

Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
My understanding is that the portrayal of the Comanche in "The Son" is very accurate, as well as the portrayal of the Texans of the time.

The Son: Philipp Meyer: 9780062120403: Amazon.com: Books

Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
lowest on the totem pole
Btw, the lowest position on the totem pole was the place of honor . At least, that is my understanding, I can't truly say....

Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
As a sidebar, the history of the Comanches is absolutely fascinating as told by the book Empire of the Summer Moon.

Incredible, and at times horrifying, reading about how the hapless Comanche, lowest on the totem pole, so to speak, and basically a wandering band of sloven stone age dummies who received no respect from any other tribes, and lived on the margins, rose to power once they got ahold of horses. They inexplicably were born horsemen, geniuses actually, and, upon the horse, a conquering force unlike any ever seen in their heyday.

It's also the story of Cynthia Parker and her life with the Comanche and how she survived among them.

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History: S. C. Gwynne: 9781416591061: Amazon.com: Books

Steve
Yep! And Comanches: The History of a People, by T.R. Fehrenbach is also good, if a bit long.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM

300 posts, read 414,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've been here 10 years, so I don't know if I qualify, but one thing I do know is that the Hill Country area around Steiner Ranch and Riverplace is rapidly disappearing. There was no WTP4 on 620, instead there was a little surf shop on one of those parcels and the rest heavy forest. The Oasis was way out there and not surrounded by upscale subdivisions. 3M was along 2222 but the land around was heavily forested. Now there is Vandegrift High School, Austin Baptist Church, and past 3M a slew of ugly complexes. It seems that the powers that be have protected the 360 corridor a bit better than the 620 corridor. Overall, I think Austin dropped the ball on the development out in the West. It could have been so much better than it is now. Don't get me wrong, it's still beautiful, but in a S. CA San Diego urban hills way, not a rural Texas countryside way.

When you go downtown, it is absolutely amazing what has happened there. The transformation is wonderful. There are tons of world class restaurants, I mean I can finally get a great poboy (Surf and Turf), before this was a Cajun food wasteland. We have a rail line from Leander to downtown, pretty nice when attending SxSW I must say. Most of the buildings downtown have great architecture, unlike most of the rectangular blocks in Houston. We're revitalizing old malls (Highland) into higher education (ACC). We're renovating historical treasures (old Austin Power Plant), we've just built an awesome boardwalk where I never thought anything would be done about the refusal of several businesses to accommodate the "master plan". We are about to repair a polluted creek and turn it into another Riverwalk (Waller Creek).

So, in summary, I like what has happened to downtown, I hate what has happened to the Hill Country.
100% agree! RR620 traffic is unbearable and it is worsen than I35 in the traffic hours. The County should restrict further development from both sides of RR620 from HWY183 to HWY71.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
100% agree! RR620 traffic is unbearable and it is worsen than I35 in the traffic hours. The County should restrict further development from both sides of RR620 from HWY183 to HWY71.
Good luck with that. Texas counties don't have development control rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin