Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 55,734 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Austin and would be looking to buy a single family home. Would appreciate some suggestions for areas/neighborhoods that may meet many of the criteria I've listed below. Hopefully, I've provided enough information. Thanks in advance!

Budget is $650K to $750K. Criteria listed below in order of priority to us.

1) Strong public schools K-12. This is the most important thing to us. Not looking for district here, but specific neighborhoods in which the zoned elementary, middle, and high school are all considered strong

2) Commute - work will be in cedar park area and arboretum/great hills. Looking for an area in which commute to each is no more than 30 minutes.

3) Proximity to center of Austin after conditions 1 and 2 are met

4) 4 bedrooms

5) Would prefer a newer (last 15 years) house

6) Enjoy neighborhoods that are more wooded and don't have a "cookie-cutter" look/feel.

I realize there are many of these types of threads so apologies in advance. I did some searching of the forum, but don't have a good enough sense yet of where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 AM

77 posts, read 77,743 times
spicewood elementary/canyon vista ms/westwood hs school district (it's a very small area as I recently found out)

10 minutes to cedar park/arboretum

meets most criteria, except houses are generally older and not too close to city center - maybe 30 minutes out of rush hour.

quite a few houses have come on the market in the last week or so, I don't know exact prices but will be in your price range

Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM

27 posts, read 43,591 times
We are in a similar situation. You should check out houses in the 78717 zip code. Some subdivision that comes to mind is Arbor Place, Highland Horizon, Avery Ranch, Northwood at Brushy Creek, Pearson Place at Brushy Creek, The Ranch at Brushy Creek, or any other area in the Brushy Creek Area.

You should also look at houses zoned to Anderson HS and Westwood HS. However these houses are generally much older.

This Link will help you with school ratings in the area.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:33 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka tex View Post

Budget is $650K to $750K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey2003 View Post
We are in a similar situation. You should check out houses in the 78717 zip code.

There are 141 houses for sale in the 78717 zip code, and only 3 are 650K or more like the OP requested.

I don't think you're in a similar situation.

I would recommend being as close as possible to the arboreteum area, and take the easy reverse commute to Cedar Park. On the way out there you can observe and be relieved your are stuck in the traffic trying to get into Austin. Check out NW Hills, Bryker Woods, Spicewood Springs Road, Great Hills, anything off of Mesa, etc.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 PM

300 posts, read 414,112 times
You should be fine. There is a house at Pickfair for sale. It asked for $689K and know drops to $599K. It was built at 2000 with nice canyon view and green belt at the back. The zip code is 78750. There is no cookie cutter houses in this area (Spicewood at Bullcreek).

Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM

30 posts, read 55,734 times
Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful so far! With regards to homes near the aboretum, are there specific subdivisions I should search for on austin home search that have the stronger schools?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful so far! With regards to homes near the aboretum, are there specific subdivisions I should search for on austin home search that have the stronger schools?

With that budget, you might as well live in Eanes.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Use this site, and click around on the map. Cross-reference the boundaries with school rankings. Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:49 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM

27 posts, read 43,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
There are 141 houses for sale in the 78717 zip code, and only 3 are 650K or more like the OP requested.

I don't think you're in a similar situation.

I would recommend being as close as possible to the arboreteum area, and take the easy reverse commute to Cedar Park. On the way out there you can observe and be relieved your are stuck in the traffic trying to get into Austin. Check out NW Hills, Bryker Woods, Spicewood Springs Road, Great Hills, anything off of Mesa, etc.

Maybe your definition of "Budget" is different from mine. To me, that is the MAX the person is going to pay. I may not be in a similar situation in terms of "Budget", but the criteria was very similar to mine when I was searching for a house. The areas I listed matches all 6 of the person's request and right in between arboretum and cedar park. Most of the new built houses range from 400k-600k. Isn't that a good thing???

Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
We are considering a move to Austin and would be looking to buy a single family home. Would appreciate some suggestions for areas/neighborhoods that may meet many of the criteria I've listed below. Hopefully, I've provided enough information. Thanks in advance!

Budget is $650K to $750K. Criteria listed below in order of priority to us.

1) Strong public schools K-12. This is the most important thing to us. Not looking for district here, but specific neighborhoods in which the zoned elementary, middle, and high school are all considered strong

2) Commute - work will be in cedar park area and arboretum/great hills. Looking for an area in which commute to each is no more than 30 minutes.

3) Proximity to center of Austin after conditions 1 and 2 are met

4) 4 bedrooms

5) Would prefer a newer (last 15 years) house

6) Enjoy neighborhoods that are more wooded and don't have a "cookie-cutter" look/feel.

I realize there are many of these types of threads so apologies in advance. I did some searching of the forum, but don't have a good enough sense yet of where to start.
dominion at great hills. They are the houses along yaupon, feed into laurel mountain, canyon vista, westwood.

The housing stock is newer so it isnt wooded, but the subdivision is on a ridge with forest on both sides.

Prices ranges top out at 650k, but you can find the more expensive ones here and there.

north of spicewood springs/183 is the mountain (scotland weil etc) are also nice, but slightly less expensive. They also feed into laurel mountain/canyon vista

Around those areas are a few where the houses are only a few years old, although most are from the same era.

Off dk ranch road/texas plume various 5 acre properties are getting subdivided so you could build your own house.

along texas plume/dk ranch, the area is much more wooded but the houses are older. There are some very new houses in the area though where yaupon hits (old?) spicewood springs road on the north.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
With that budget, you might as well live in Eanes.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Use this site, and click around on the map. Cross-reference the boundaries with school rankings. Good luck.
eanes in that price range is going to either be really far away from cedar park or 1 million +

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin