Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 PM

11 posts, read 11,070 times

Advertisements

As I said in my original post, this move is about quality of life, not for money or a job. Thanks to saving and prudent investing we could maintain our current standard of living in a place like Austin for a rather extended period, with no income. However I like working, so I would hope to find a reasonable job at some point. That is the reason for my original question.

Bottom line is we have decided we are leaving California. I won't go into the long list why, but we feel the state has been circling the drain for a while and as far as we are concerned it is now in the toilet. Our kids are nearing school age so its time to go.

An added point, my job is likely going away in 6-12 months whether we move or not. The company is an aquisition target and I would be surprised if I found a place to land, and I may not even want to stay if offered. So any way you slice it I will have to find work. I figured since we are ready to move, and my boss gave me the green light to work remotely this would be the best time to go. I could move while keeping my current job, and hopefully take my time finding a new job.

The wife and I are not fans of cold weather and we like warm weather. We have considered Phoenix, Dallas, Albuquerqe, Tampa, and Austin. We like Austin best. We have spent a little time there, and we will be heading out this weekend to visit a friend who moved there last year and to look at some houses for sale.

Austin97, interesting post about the idea of starting a company to offer CFO type services. I actually used to own my own consulting company. I was more targeted towards servicing large corporations, but the idea of part time work with small companies sounds very appealing. I could certainly take on the tasks on your list, and more. My lack of experience with tax matters would be my weak link, but I could certainly brush up on that. Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,733 times
All big companies like Dell, Freescale, IBM have finance departments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin