Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It's ugly, unliveable, fosters urban decay, and you end up with massively long commutes and a lot of wasted land. The old close suburbs, the ones that are decaying right now, are an hour away from downtown Houston.
Lol if it were unlivable it wouldn't be adding people by the hundreds of thousand. Also the old close in suburbs are not an hour away from downtown, try 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
I live 40 miles SW of Austin in the hills and I have a weather station outside. This summer the humidity has been registering anywhere between 13% and 40% for most days. This is enough to make my throat and nose burn and my eyes feel dry. We moved from South Florida and to everyone bi*ching about Austin being humid, please shut up, you have no clue what you are talking about

In SoFL I used to get up in the early morning and even then I would come out and be covered in shirt-sticking sweat within 5-10 minutes. As it got hotter, it became nastier. Here humidity is highest in the early morning and as the sun climbs up the humidity gets lower and lower. By the time 4-6 pm rolls in, the humidity is in the teens.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:17 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Lol if it were unlivable it wouldn't be adding people by the hundreds of thousand. Also the old close in suburbs are not an hour away from downtown, try 15 minutes.
15 minutes? LOL!

During Rush hour it takes an hour to get from the close edge of Cypress to downtown. No, Montrose is not a suburb. No, Bunker Hill is not a suburb.

People will move to any city where there are jobs because they need jobs. That does NOT mean the city is livable. If you want to pretend that all cities are exactly the same and some are not nicer places to live than others, go ahead.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
I live on Maui... Austin isn't anywhere near the sprawl level of Houston. Just look at posts on this forum... People are constantly whining that Austin doesn't have enough highways and strip malls.
It's all relative. I never said Austin had as much sprawl as Houston. Like... Duh!! Why would it ?? Houston is like 5x Austin's population. But that doesn't change the fact that Austin does have its share of sprawl for a city of its size.

Btw. You live IN Maui

Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
It's all relative. I never said Austin had as much sprawl as Houston. Like... Duh!! Why would it ?? Houston is like 5x Austin's population. But that doesn't change the fact that Austin does have its share of sprawl for a city of its size.

Btw. You live IN Maui
Why "in"?

He lives on the island of Maui, thus "on" Maui.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
15 minutes? LOL!

During Rush hour it takes an hour to get from the close edge of Cypress to downtown. No, Montrose is not a suburb. No, Bunker Hill is not a suburb.

People will move to any city where there are jobs because they need jobs. That does NOT mean the city is livable. If you want to pretend that all cities are exactly the same and some are not nicer places to live than others, go ahead.
"Livable" means different things to different people.

Some people wouldn't dream of taking public transportation or walking or riding their bike to work.
Some people wouldn't dream of living in a house that has shared walls with neighbors.
Some people wouldn't dream of living without a car, or cable TV, or a smartphone that costs 90 bucks a month.
To them, that's not livable.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
It's ugly, unliveable, fosters urban decay, and you end up with massively long commutes and a lot of wasted land. The old close suburbs, the ones that are decaying right now, are an hour away from downtown Houston.
Kind of like the type that seems to be taking more and more of Maui's central valley every year...

The point being there's sprawl everywhere you have population growth. That includes here in the DC area where the metro grows south, north, and west every single year.

Sprawl isn't ideal but it's the reality in growing American cities. Even European cities are still sprawling outward, albeit at a slightly lower rate than American ones.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Kind of like the type that seems to be taking more and more of Maui's central valley every year...

The point being there's sprawl everywhere you have population growth. That includes here in the DC area where the metro grows south, north, and west every single year.

Sprawl isn't ideal but it's the reality in growing American cities. Even European cities are still sprawling outward, albeit at a slightly lower rate than American ones.
Sprawl has varying degrees of badness. Houston's sprawl between 610 and 8 was created in the 70s-80s and it's horrible. No sidewalks in many places and roads don't connect. I used to live in Westchase and I wanted to ride my bike to the Galleria area... Well I discovered quickly that you can only do that by going to the main road first. And Houston's strip malls are the ugliest anywhere-- Seedy ghetto places that spread blight.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
"Livable" means different things to different people.

Some people wouldn't dream of taking public transportation or walking or riding their bike to work.
Some people wouldn't dream of living in a house that has shared walls with neighbors.
Some people wouldn't dream of living without a car, or cable TV, or a smartphone that costs 90 bucks a month.
To them, that's not livable.
And what's livable about Houston? Driving your car to work sucks because it takes an hour each way. Buying a house requires increasing income levels because of skyrocketing property values, unless you like the desolate treeless Katy and Pearland suburbs.

But my main complaint about Houston is the lack of places to hike, mountain bike, and paddle. Houston isn't an outdoors city. It's a couch potato football watching city.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
lack of places to hike, mountain bike, and paddle
There ARE places to hike, mountain bike, and paddle. And the city has made great strides in bicycle commuting trails as well. Do you just say things to rile people up? Ever do any fact-checking? When was the last time you lived in Houston?

Terry Hershey Park - The AntHills Hike & Bike Trail Map

Mountain Biking at Ho Chi Minh Trail Memorial Park Houston - YouTube

Canoe and Kayak Trails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin