Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:04 AM

45 posts, read 60,055 times

Advertisements

6.35" of rain at our house since Sat.

2.91" fell last night.

NW Austin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
As an update, even with the overnight rain and the slight blast around lunchtime today, Parmer/Avery Ranch got only 1/3" in the last 24 hours! Of course, nobody thought to turn off the sprinklers for the common areas and commercial landscape even after the soaking we got yesterday.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
According to our rain gauge, we received just a smidge under three inches overnight and in a burst late this morning.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
A house I own in Oak Hill caught fire from a lightening strike while it was simultaneously flooding at 2:30AM. I got there around 3AM and Scenic Brook Dr.was like a river. I walked through a foot deep of water to get to the house. There were 4 firetrucks there. Luckily they arrived very quickly and it wasn't a total burndown but instead limited to two bedrooms burned in the attic above, plus smoke, water and flood damage. My tenant has to move out for repairs.

When the firemen were rolling up gear at the end, an older supervisor(ish) guy said "well you should have been here in 1991 ..." to which the other fireman bursted out in mocking "oh! 1991 again huh? ... (mocking) 'you should have seen 1991' ...".

I get the feeling they'd heard the 1991 stories before.

But later I thought about 1991 and realized that in fact I managed a small apartment complex in Rosedale at the time and it flooded big time. Me and some of the tenants were taking turns in the middle of the night with pick axes and shovels trying to dig a trench through the asphalt parking lot to divert/drain the water flow away from the units. It didn't work and we finally gave up.

I do think these flooding drenchers are a lot more frequent now though, with dryer dry spells in between.

Steve

Old 09-19-2014, 09:36 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
... Scenic Brook Dr.was like a river.

When the firemen were rolling up gear at the end, an older supervisor(ish) guy said "well you should have been here in 1991 ..." to which the other fireman bursted out in mocking "oh! 1991 again huh? ... (mocking) 'you should have seen 1991' ...".

Steve
I lived in Scenic Brook in '91 - and yes, several homes flooded then. They are in the 100 year food plain. It was about four days before Christmas.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:42 AM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
Quote:
A house I own in Oak Hill caught fire from a lightening strike while it was simultaneously flooding at 2:30AM.
Steve
What a mess, luckily nobody was hurt?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:12 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Very sorry about the flood/fire in your house, Steve. Does the family need assistance?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Oh crap-o, Steve. We live a mile or so from Scenic Brook Dr. Sorry to hear about the house, glad the tenant(s) are OK. They're lucky to have you as their landlord.

We have about 100 feet of a tributary of Williamson Creek running through our back yard and it rose nearly five feet. It's already dropped back significantly, but I can imagine what a mess it creates downstream.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:49 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
A house I own in Oak Hill caught fire from a lightening strike while it was simultaneously flooding at 2:30AM.

Steve
Steve - is this your tenant?

Old 09-20-2014, 09:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Yes, the news crews came and interviewed him, though some seemed confused as to whether he owns or rents. He has no renter's insurance (our leases mandate tenants keep renters insurance - we have no way to enforce it though), so I'm just giving back the deposit and rent from this month to help out, then will rehab the house and either sell it or rent again. He has a lot of friends luckily, and they've helped him clear out.

As an aside, when your house burns, all the ambulance chasers come out of the woodwork. They monitor the fire department feed for "leads". That's why news people showed up, and also several construction contractors dropped by and also called me direct offering their services.

To which I responded, "No thanks, I got my own people on it", but some are pretty persistent. One showed up from 800-Boardup all ready to start working if I would just sign a "work authorization" which amounted to a blank check and open-ended agreement. They got a call directly from a fireman the guy told me, so I wonder if some sort of kickback system is in place in exchange for a quick tip.

I've never had a house catch fire so it's my first exposure to this whole world of fire chasers looking for work. I'm sure some are legit, but they are generally catching people at a very bad moment when they may not be thinking clearly. I'm not sure of the regulatory environment that governs this, but it seems pretty fast and loose.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin