Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 6,314 times

Advertisements

Im flying down from CHIraq next week to survey Austin Neighborhoods for relocation at the end of October. My question is- Being that Austin is a melting pot of many TRANSPLANTS from Chicago, NYC, Houston and Dallas...... Which hoods most resemble the following neighborhoods?

Houston- Oak Forest / Garden Oaks, Heights, Montrose, West U, Memorial, Bellaire,

Chicago- River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview

We are looking to find a rental(1YR) where i can work from home (low latency) until i get a commercial office situated. We want to use the next year to scout which neighborhood offers wisest investment for a period like remodel. We lived in a 2/2 new high rise (rental) in streeterville (navy pier) in chicago 1100 sqft $4795 month.

We would like a 3/2 house and yard inside Austin (no suburbs) for $2500-$3000

Last edited by Adam_starcb; 09-21-2014 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: left out a section
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:30 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,304 times
I'm not as familiar with Chicago neighborhoods, but loose comparisons of Houston neighborhoods to Austin ones:

Oak Forest / Garden Oaks, Heights = Rosedale, Allendale, etc.
Montrose - we don't really have an equivalent
West U = Tarrytown?
Memorial = West Lake Hills
Bellaire - not sure we have an equivalent

Old 09-23-2014, 09:16 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,740,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I'm not as familiar with Chicago neighborhoods, but loose comparisons of Houston neighborhoods to Austin ones:

Oak Forest / Garden Oaks, Heights = Rosedale, Allendale, etc.
Montrose - we don't really have an equivalent
West U = Tarrytown?
Memorial = West Lake Hills
Bellaire - not sure we have an equivalent
I agree with sxckr's opinions.

I'd add that Bellaire equivalent would be NW Austin (Great Hills & other areas out 183) that would feed into WWood HS & McNeil HS.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I'd add that Bellaire equivalent would be NW Austin (Great Hills & other areas out 183) that would feed into WWood HS & McNeil HS.
Kind of, yes. I just associate Bellaire with being close to the Texas Medical Center (both geographically by the fact of many physicians living in there) and so couldn't come up with an equivalent here, an independent city close to a massive business district like that.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,322,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Kind of, yes. I just associate Bellaire with being close to the Texas Medical Center (both geographically by the fact of many physicians living in there) and so couldn't come up with an equivalent here, an independent city close to a massive business district like that.

Bellaire is also much, much more walkable and quaint than NW Austin. I would almost say Rosedale is more similar. But I agree that we don't really have an equivalent.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:19 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,054,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_starcb View Post
Im flying down from CHIraq next week to survey Austin Neighborhoods for relocation at the end of October. My question is- Being that Austin is a melting pot of many TRANSPLANTS from Chicago, NYC, Houston and Dallas...... Which hoods most resemble the following neighborhoods?

Houston- Oak Forest / Garden Oaks, Heights, Montrose, West U, Memorial, Bellaire,

Chicago- River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview

We are looking to find a rental(1YR) where i can work from home (low latency) until i get a commercial office situated. We want to use the next year to scout which neighborhood offers wisest investment for a period like remodel. We lived in a 2/2 new high rise (rental) in streeterville (navy pier) in chicago 1100 sqft $4795 month.

We would like a 3/2 house and yard inside Austin (no suburbs) for $2500-$3000
Clarksville and Travis Heights. They are downtown and have yards.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,724,410 times
I agree, AguaDulce. Here below are my recommendations:

Central Austin: Hyde Park, Heritage, Rosedale, Allandale

East Austin: Wilshire/Delwood, Cherrywood, French Place

West Austin: Tarrytown, Bryker Woods, Enfield

South Austin: Zilker, Bouldin, Travis Heights

Please tell us where you decide to move! Good luck!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,314 times
Default The verdict is in

We chose Barton Hills for our trial 1 year rental. Overall we felt it was more important to have my son's day school within walking distance. I felt we got a great deal on the rental. We also looked at 9 other homes that were in areas we felt would be better suited for a purchase and hold. So I am thankful for your help. We are excited to come home to Texas. Oh how I missed the 11-11 , Shipley's and Texmex.

Now that I have our house and school picked , we will need help with finding commercial lease for a small office

Last edited by Adam_starcb; 09-27-2014 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Hood

Old 09-27-2014, 05:11 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,054,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_starcb View Post
We chose Barton Hills for our trial 1 year rental. Overall we felt it was more important to have my son's day school within walking distance. I felt we got a great deal on the rental. We also looked at 9 other homes that were in areas we felt would be better suited for a purchase and hold. So I am thankful for your help. We are excited to come home to Texas. Oh how I missed the 11-11 , Shipley's and Texmex.

Now that I have our house and school picked , we will need help with finding commercial lease for a small office
didn't know a kid was in the mix

Old 09-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin