Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:16 PM

277 posts, read 1,295,668 times

Advertisements

Depends on the look you want. I'm pretty picky about how things look, so I basically chose what I wanted. I don't have open stringers, so my solution was different, but I love the look of the caps at the bottom of the baluster. I'll post pix later, they are on a different computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 04:48 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Just looked at ours...they are about 5/8 inch round at top, and 1.25 inch square at the bottom.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
In terms of replacing them one-for-one, the (likely) much thinner metal balusters will leave a wider 'empty' space between each...a possible danger and likely code violation.

We had metal in the 'big house'...very attractive with twists and ornamentation in various spots...I liked them but wouldn't have swapped out functional wood for metal unless some of the originals were failing. Also, the solid 'wrought' metal-work will be much more expensive than the hollow mild steel...something to consider if metal on a budget is your goal

Additionally, if we had stayed in the house long enough, I would have swapped the wood balusters on the deck for metal or glass to enhance the view we had of the green space behind. Again, I wasn't about to pull down perfectly good cedar balusters; but would have considered powdercoated metal for needed replacements.

Makes my cork floor install seem like a piece of cake in comparison Good luck with the project!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 PM

277 posts, read 1,295,668 times
Here's how mine turned out:

(My place is a small townhouse, 875 sq ft)

Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Any pictures? Also, they wanted to replace the rail and the banisters (the big post looking ones) as well but they seem sturdy and I don't think they need replacing. Shouldn't they just be able to replace the balusters with metal and then fit the existing rail and keep the existing banisters? About the metal being smaller, is it worth it to get the larger metal or to pay for the caps at the bottom to cover up the possible gap that may be stained?
we only replaced the balusters (our guys wanted to replace more too including the stairs). They did put caps on the metal of course, but they werent big enough. They assured us they would be.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
In terms of replacing them one-for-one, the (likely) much thinner metal balusters will leave a wider 'empty' space between each...a possible danger and likely code violation.

We had metal in the 'big house'...very attractive with twists and ornamentation in various spots...I liked them but wouldn't have swapped out functional wood for metal unless some of the originals were failing. Also, the solid 'wrought' metal-work will be much more expensive than the hollow mild steel...something to consider if metal on a budget is your goal

Additionally, if we had stayed in the house long enough, I would have swapped the wood balusters on the deck for metal or glass to enhance the view we had of the green space behind. Again, I wasn't about to pull down perfectly good cedar balusters; but would have considered powdercoated metal for needed replacements.

Makes my cork floor install seem like a piece of cake in comparison Good luck with the project!
Well, since about 6 have broken (I have repaired two of them with gorilla glue but the others are beyond repair), I think that I'm going to have to replace all of them. They don't make the style that is in our house anyway. There are around 110 balusters by the way.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
Here's how mine turned out:

(My place is a small townhouse, 875 sq ft)
That looks good. However, I would have wood on the top railing.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
That looks good. However, I would have wood on the top railing.
thats what we have. We only changed the balusters and it looks great except for each baluster has a lighter area around it where they didnt finish and we havent gotten it done yet.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Well, since about 6 have broken (I have repaired two of them with gorilla glue but the others are beyond repair), I think that I'm going to have to replace all of them. They don't make the style that is in our house anyway. There are around 110 balusters by the way.
Wow!

Is there not a concern for the spacing between balusters? I know you can do what you want to your own place, but doesn't Code require <4" gap?(Referencing the very attractive railing in the photo)

Old 10-07-2014, 09:15 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,302,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Wow!

Is there not a concern for the spacing between balusters? I know you can do what you want to your own place, but doesn't Code require <4" gap?(Referencing the very attractive railing in the photo)
The trick is when it comes time to sell the house you need to find buyers whose children have inordinately large heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: