Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
I have never considered the niceness of a service department lounge when choosing a car. I make it a point to spend as little time as possible with my car in a dealer's service department. They all recommend excess service (such as transmission "flushes") and I cannot tolerate this.
Well, I don't disagree entirely, but if you think of resale value, and the type of buyers who purchase gently-used Hondas, those buyers fit a specific demographic (engineer-like) respond very positively to a well documented, consistent maintenance history, and are willing to pay top resale value for such a vehicle. This allows at least a partial recapture of the higher maintenance costs, and a quicker sale. Add to that the work productivity achieved on the laptop in the service waiting lounge, and it's overall an economically justifiable choice to do all-dealer maintenance on a Honda.

For my 2008 Silverado, it's a different story. My last several truck resales have been to contractors, the last one didn't even speak english and had his boss along to help him, and they don't care about maintenance history. I do take it to the dealer for the big milestone checkups, but almost everything else is done elsewhere. That said, if GM had a Honda-like showroom, where I get value from the productivity I can achieve while waiting, I'd probably take it there and be willing to pay a bit more for that reason alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Steve, have you driven the new Accord? 2013 and 2014? Restyled and a huge improvement over the ones circa 2010. We got a base model 2013 Accord and it was a tremendous value for the price. Couldn't be happier with it. Looks and drives like a car priced twice as much.

First Texas has set pricing, no haggling which is a great help when haggling at Howdy!!
No, I haven't but I guess I should. We switched to a 2012 Hyundai Sonata for my wife's last car, as the Accord just couldn't compete on features, warranty and price. It's been phenomenal car, at 50K miles now, no problems, and it gets 38 mpg on highway trips. Oddly, the new Sonata for 2015 goes back to the more "boring" direction, backing off on some of the stylishness that vaulted it onto buyer radar with the 2011 model.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
The new Toyota service department lounge at the South IH-35 dealership is pretty nice.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:47 AM

26 posts, read 33,365 times
I am interested in this as well. I am looking at a new Pick-up, but want to know basically the same thing. "How are the repair facilities in terms of professionalism, cleanliness, and schedule?"

I've owned a 2003 Ram 1500 and had to take it to multiple dealerships (One in Little Rock, Ar and Maxwell Dodge on 45) for warranty repair. Repairs\maintenance were always a huge pain in the rear because they never followed through in calling you and receiving maintenance or warranty repair somehow means to the sales force you are target for trading it in for another vehicle.

However, the staff at MINI of Austin always calls back, they complete the work when they say they will, the staff is clean, and knowledgeable. I feel the facilities are top notch.

I will definitely be looking at the service area when I purchase the truck because I don't want to feel like a fight every time I have to go back.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
I agree about dealer service being a good option with new cars that are still under factory warranty. Toyota gives free maintenance for the first two years or 25k miles and I think others are doing this for longer like BMW. My synthetic oil change/service in my Toyota would be $70 at a tune up place or $90 at the dealer. A lot of the cars with synthetic oil only get an actual oil change every 10k miles now as well while the 5k and 15k intervals for example are mainly just a tire rotation.

If I were Steve, I'd test drive the Accord, the Camry, the CR-V, and just for kicks the Mazda 6 Skyactiv. I studied the Accord and CR-V a bit last time around and they are surprisingly very similar with things like rear seat leg room. The new Mazda 6 has won over a lot of people with its mpg and price point, but Austin Mazda dealer service centers are pretty average from what I've seen, but the service level is very high (Roger Beasleys). This thread makes me want to go look at cars now.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I test drove the CR-V the last time around (5 years ago now?) and ended up with a Subaru Forester, which was a similar cost vehicle but felt much nicer on the road. I did end up flying to Colorado to buy it, because you can save about 15% in the 'high volume' Subaru states, and I drove it back. I would love it, though, if I could take it to Honda for warranty work .

Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
In our dealings with them, Honda has always had a very good service department and staff, and I like that their location is now off the 'motor mile' traffic mess. If you want a car that costs less per mile over the vehicle lifetime, it is hard to go wrong with a Honda. Part of the reason that the Accord is so boring is that it is that gold standard for reliability/performance/cost balancing.

We have historically bought the extended warranty package when we have bought a Honda - there is a minor discount on normal services, and the extended warranty essentially adds on three years to the manufacturer warranty. And the icing on the cake is that it is provided by Honda through Honda, not a third party. You can cancel it and get a portion of your money back, if you want, and it is transferable to a new owner. Toyota's third party extended warranty program can be a nightmare, based on a few stories I have had related to me by friends. Not really Toyota's fault, but still a problem.
I bet over the life you own a Honda you are wasting money with an extended warranty. They make money on them. You are paying in advance for repairs you probably won't need.

I don't buy extended warranties on any vehicle. The "peace of mind" people talk about is giving dealers and manufacturers money that belongs in my bank.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:49 PM

318 posts, read 670,219 times
I really liked the service dept at Charles Maund Toyota. It wasn't as fancy as Austin Infiniti, but the service personnel were great, walked me to my car (or the cashier), and told me all about my car. They had just opened a newer lounge in addition to the original lounge. I was only ever in the newer one, so have no idea what the other one is like.

When I first went to Austin Infiniti, I did not feel nearly as valued of a customer, which was very disappointing. The onsite barista was a nice touch, but the service process was so disjointed and poorly communicated. So, when I received a survey invite to tell them about my experience, I relayed that Charles Maund Toyota has a much better service procedure with friendlier folks.

Imagine my surprise being called from someone from corporate office to hear about my service (which wasn't BAD, just wasn't as nice as a non-luxury dealership).

Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,462 times
BMW of Austin has the nicest repair lounge, but that's because your car breaks every 6-8 weeks and is a $1,200 - $2,000 visit each time, even if you have a CPO warranty (this was my experience). So it needs to be nice since you will be there all the time and since you are paying for it, if indirectly.

Free Starbucks made by a barista, a (real) movie theater showing big name movies for free, massage loungers in a secluded place, etc., etc. Very nice bathrooms, work areas, a beautiful aquarium. All that money and none of it can be used to make the cars more reliable.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:56 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
All that money and none of it can be used to make the cars more reliable.
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure that even the entry level 3 series ($32k base) gets a full 4 year/50k warranty along with free maintenance during that period including air filters/wiper blades, etc. For some people that turn their cars over for a new one at around 50k miles, it can work pretty well. With that said, a friend of mine bought his accord ex new in the year 2000 and still drives it daily with its 200k miles. Only normal maintenance has been done to it.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:09 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymeg View Post
I really liked the service dept at Charles Maund Toyota. It wasn't as fancy as Austin Infiniti, but the service personnel were great, walked me to my car (or the cashier), and told me all about my car. They had just opened a newer lounge in addition to the original lounge. I was only ever in the newer one, so have no idea what the other one is like.

When I first went to Austin Infiniti, I did not feel nearly as valued of a customer, which was very disappointing. The onsite barista was a nice touch, but the service process was so disjointed and poorly communicated. So, when I received a survey invite to tell them about my experience, I relayed that Charles Maund Toyota has a much better service procedure with friendlier folks.

Imagine my surprise being called from someone from corporate office to hear about my service (which wasn't BAD, just wasn't as nice as a non-luxury dealership).
Austin Infinit's concierge service is pretty awesome. I know it's not exactly a service lounge, but not having to take it there is better than any lounge, IMO.

Schedule the service, they come pick up the car and drop off a demo, then bring your car back washed and serviced later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin