Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,020,971 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to Hutto and amazing wife has been supportive throughout move and crazy circumstances with new career and travel. Need ideas for anniversary dinner location this weekend. Prefer something romantic, not necessarily black tie but nice, and she loves crab legs if possible. Italian probably the next preferred, but will consider any recommendations.

"Don't tell Mom!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,941,300 times
I can't speak for it myself since I'm vegan, but the place I hear mentioned most frequently for crab here is Truluck's.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,814,423 times
Green Pastures Green Pastures The menu shows crab cakes.

Verona Ristorante Italiano | Authentic Italian Food In Austin, Texas In Lincoln Village is up your way, it has some really good Italian food

Old 10-07-2014, 10:52 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,774,505 times
For Italian go to La Traviata, very romantic, good wine list, excellent Italian (try spaghetti carbonara there, excellent).

Maybe not crab legs but Eddie V's will do crabcakes and lump crab. Just make sure you go to the downtown location, the Arboretum one isn't as good in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:28 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
I can't speak for it myself since I'm vegan, but the place I hear mentioned most frequently for crab here is Truluck's.
Careful though. At Truluck's about 15 years ago on an anniversary dinner, my wife ordered Lobster and wasn't prepared (I didn't know it would happen either) for the waitress to show up with a live lobster on a big silver platter and say "Here's your guy! Does it look good?" Sort of like how a good steak house will show you the cut before cooking it.

My poor wife almost teared up and looked at me, "now I feel sorry for him and don't want to eat him". But she did. It actually scarred her in some way because she never wants to go there anymore.

What kind of wedding did your wife want? If it was the big Princess wedding, she probably likes an over the top romantic night out. If she's more "no frills, let's just chill together", then someplace quiet and restrained near Town Lake for a romantic stroll around afterward should do.

It will be ACL weekend 2 though, so plan accordingly. Downtown will be a zoo.

Steve

Old 10-07-2014, 01:38 PM

5,843 posts, read 11,832,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Careful though. At Truluck's about 15 years ago on an anniversary dinner, my wife ordered Lobster and wasn't prepared (I didn't know it would happen either) for the waitress to show up with a live lobster on a big silver platter and say "Here's your guy! Does it look good?" Sort of like how a good steak house will show you the cut before cooking it.

My poor wife almost teared up and looked at me, "now I feel sorry for him and don't want to eat him". But she did. It actually scarred her in some way because she never wants to go there anymore.

What kind of wedding did your wife want? If it was the big Princess wedding, she probably likes an over the top romantic night out. If she's more "no frills, let's just chill together", then someplace quiet and restrained near Town Lake for a romantic stroll around afterward should do.

It will be ACL weekend 2 though, so plan accordingly. Downtown will be a zoo.

Steve
LOL Steve, that made me laugh! If I wanted crab I'd go to Trulucks for sure, but thanks for the warning on the lobster. I have boiled my own before though so it probably wouldn't upset me quite as much.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,982,600 times
We just went to Olive & June for our anniversary. It was fantastic. They don't have crab legs but do have quite a bit of seafood.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Thinking of where I'd want to go for an anniversary dinner, not sure they'll have crab legs (probably not), but for an anniversary dinner, you can't go wrong with Chez Nous or Fonda San Miguel. Other options are The Hollow Brasserie in Georgetown on the Square if you want to avoid downtown Austin, or French Quarter Grille at Parmer and I35 (yes, it's in a strip center but you'll completely forget that the moment you go in the door). Also Jack Allen's Kitchen in Round Rock. Any one of those would make me feel pampered.

I'm sure there are several others that I'm forgetting right now that will come to me the moment I hit "Post", but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

And you are clearly a good and considerate husband!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 PM

615 posts, read 775,963 times
Good suggestions here! Have to agree with Truluck's for crab legs—they have the best in Austin. And they now have a stunning second floor addition to dine in. For Italian, you can't go wrong with La Traviata on Congress. Quattro Gatti a few blocks up the street is also very good, but more casual. I've had mixed experiences with the service at Olive and June, so I wouldn't recommend it for a special occasion.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,361,555 times
Green Pastures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin