Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times

Advertisements

Okay, non-touristy. Don't go to the Oasis, go to Iguana Grill right down the road on 620. Great view, slightly better drinks and food than Oasis.

Second Walburg, though you have a choice - Walburg Restaurant and Biergarten or Dale's Issenhaus (looks like they're also having OktoberFest). Both are a lot of fun, but it being October, OktoberFest is likely going on at Walburg Restaurant and as a local (I live 15 minutes away if I get stuck behind a tractor on the road), I try to avoid it then and go other times.

Try the Gardens at Zilker Park.

Have some Mexican food. I recommend Azul Tequila or Taqueria Arandas on Burnet Road (but only if you don't mind that all the help don't necessarily speak English or that the place isn't shiny like a chain restaurant. If you're lucky they'll have lengua - it's on the menu, but sometimes they're out.

Have some BBQ. Don't use up your precious time waiting in line at Franklin's - go to Stiles Switch on North Lamar. (Understand that this thread will now turn into a long BBQ war on who has the best BBQ - it's just the way we role here). Or drive down to Luling to City Market and have some brisket. Or north to Riders BBQ in Jarrell. Or . . . well, you get the picture.

I second Jack Allen's Kitchen.

If you like hiking, check out Good Water Trail in Georgetown around Lake Georgetown. 26 miles of hiking trail but you don't have to do the whole thing - just start at one of the parks around the lake and go as far as you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times
If you are here on Saturday morning, come to the Mellow Johnny's Scout-A-Route bicycle ride at 9am. MJ's rents bikes and the ride pieces together some of the city bike routes, offering a relatively safe way to see 18-24 miles of city streets. Recreational riders of all 'speeds' are welcome! There are also Meet Up groups that run weekly rides but the evening rides are winding down with earlier sunsets.
Mellow Johnny's » Weekly Rides at Mellow Johnny’s

Old 10-08-2014, 05:14 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times
Rent one of the red city bikes from nearby Zilker and ride around the hike and bike trail. It's an 11 mile loop, and there is a nice scenic new boardwalk on part of the trail. You can park the city bike at Rainey street right off the trail, and catch some live music and have some good food and beer.

You can also rent a kayak right off the trail and paddle around the river if you want.

For live music, if you are looking for laid-back casual places, visit the Continental Club in SoCo or the Saxon Pub. If you want to hang out with the young hipster crowd for music, check out East 6th (east of I35). "Dirty 6th" from I-35 west to Congress is touristy, loud and crazy. West 6th and the warehouse district is a bit more mature and local crowd. Live music in all of those places.

You may also be able to go down to New Braunfels and go tubing, if the weather is good.

Hotels shouldn't be a problem, ACL will be over and F1 doesn't happen until the end of the month. Downtown would be the best place to get a hotel, but there are some neat boutique ones in SoCo also. There is a UT home game on 10/18, but that shouldn't be too bad for hotels since it's Iowa St. Might be a nice thing to experience if you happen to be here, tickets should be available cheap.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, non-touristy. Don't go to the Oasis, go to Iguana Grill right down the road on 620. Great view, slightly better drinks and food than Oasis.

Second Walburg, though you have a choice - Walburg Restaurant and Biergarten or Dale's Issenhaus (looks like they're also having OktoberFest). Both are a lot of fun, but it being October, OktoberFest is likely going on at Walburg Restaurant and as a local (I live 15 minutes away if I get stuck behind a tractor on the road), I try to avoid it then and go other times.

Try the Gardens at Zilker Park.

Have some Mexican food. I recommend Azul Tequila or Taqueria Arandas on Burnet Road (but only if you don't mind that all the help don't necessarily speak English or that the place isn't shiny like a chain restaurant. If you're lucky they'll have lengua - it's on the menu, but sometimes they're out.

Have some BBQ. Don't use up your precious time waiting in line at Franklin's - go to Stiles Switch on North Lamar. (Understand that this thread will now turn into a long BBQ war on who has the best BBQ - it's just the way we role here). Or drive down to Luling to City Market and have some brisket. Or north to Riders BBQ in Jarrell. Or . . . well, you get the picture.

I second Jack Allen's Kitchen.

If you like hiking, check out Good Water Trail in Georgetown around Lake Georgetown. 26 miles of hiking trail but you don't have to do the whole thing - just start at one of the parks around the lake and go as far as you want.
You're right that the Oasis is touristy. But I have to disagree that the Iguana is a worthy destination. It has a good Lake Travis view. But not THE view of Lake Travis. The food is slightly better. I agree on that too.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,992 times
Thanks for all these tips! Lots of great information that we will have to research before arriving but we already see a few spots that stick out to us.

The dates of our stay are October 18 - 22, and we will be in San Antonio before that from October 14 - 18.

Our budget for a hotel will be $150-200 per night or cheaper if possible.

After reading a lot of your responses we want to stay close to the city center, and rent a car to visit the areas outside of the city since there seems to be a lot of nice places that are driving distance away.

Appreciate all the help so far, if ya'll are a microcosm of the people of Austin, then I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time : )

Old 10-08-2014, 11:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,429 times
Go on one of the bike rides put on Social Cycling Austin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/socialcyclingaustin/

My favorite is the "Thursday Night Ride" which typically has over 300 riders

Old 10-09-2014, 07:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Go to Central Market on North Lamar. Check out the grocery store (you're almost certain to find something you can't live without that you never knew existed before) and then go to the cafe, have some food, have some wine or beer, do some people watching, and listen to some live music if you're there at the right time. If it's cool enough (and this time of year it might be), sit on the patio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin