Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,690 times

Advertisements

We've been to Austin a couple of times for vacation and love the city - just got back from ACL but have also been for non-event weekends. We're now in Chicago and are considering getting a second home in Austin. Married couple, 50ish, into music, outdoor activities (bkiking, hiking, golf, kayaking, etc), and food.

We want a place with great views out the back (canyon, lake if possible, city not important) and pretty close to town. Schools are unimportant except to the extent they help real estate values. It will be just the two of us but we'll need room for guests. Last house we rented in Northwest Hills had great views but was a bit too "suburban" and was too far out of town. A house we rented about a mile south of the South Congress strip was a great location, kind of a cool, funky old house, but no views at all.

We probably will spend 3-4 months a year total in Austin, mainly during the winter. We'd like to rent the place out when we are not there but understand that isn't particularly likely (tough vacation spot in August I suspect).

Price range is pretty wide - say up to $1.3 million - but for that kind of cash, I'd want a fantastic house, all done, with a pool and great views.

Any suggestions on which neighborhoods to focus on that will fulfill all or most of the above?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,008 times
Are you willing to consider a condo? You can get a pretty nice setup with great views for 1.3 million at one of the higher end downtown condos (Austonian, W, Four Seasons). Plus, it seems like it would be easier from a maintenance and rental perspective in the months you are gone.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,690 times
Thanks - but I don't think a condo is for us. We don't want a high rise and would prefer the privacy of a single family home.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Are you willing to consider a condo? You can get a pretty nice setup with great views for 1.3 million at one of the higher end downtown condos (Austonian, W, Four Seasons). Plus, it seems like it would be easier from a maintenance and rental perspective in the months you are gone.
Most of the downtown condos specifically prohibit those short term rental agreements.

OP, I'd probably look at the older homes back in Westlake off The High Road. Lots of rolling hills with nice views back there, close to downtown by the back roads, and still pretty spread out so it doesn't feel too suburban.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:11 AM

743 posts, read 1,371,648 times
If you don't want a condo, but you want a view that isn't too far from downtown, you should look at Westlake Hills and the surrounding Westlake area. There's several areas where you might find views, some views of the canyons and some of Lake Austin...areas that come to mind would be Rob Roy on the Lake, Barton Creek (which isn't in Westlake, but close to Rob Roy on the Lake), Rob Roy, several streets in Westlake Hills, Aqua Verde, parts of Lost Creek, Westlake Drive, the High Road, Toro Canyon, and roads off some of those streets.

The *issue* is that Westlake is expensive. Many of the homes in great condition with views will exceed your budget. But it's possible. If you don't want to be far from the center of town and you want a view, you'll pay a premium for it.

This area would also have great schools, although I know that's not top of your list.

Last edited by blakely; 10-14-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 13,012 times
Probably Westlake Hills area. It's tough to find the elevation change necessary for a view in a relatively central location - more of them will be further out toward Travis or up NW.

You should be able to find something in the 8's around there.

Couple other options would be these MLS #'s:

9950962 (kind of condo'y)

I'd say throw a rope around 2222, 360/Mopac and Zilker and start searching.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:03 PM

20 posts, read 31,167 times
Dang it! I had typed a long, detailed reply, but had an issue with my browser that closed it before I could post. I used to live in Northwest Hills before I moved down to Oak Hill earlier this year.

Besides the areas Blakely talked about, I would look into these neighborhoods.

These are all in the 78731 zip code, south of Far West Blvd:

-Northwest Hills (east of Mesa Dr.)
-Cat Mountain (west of Mesa Dr.)
-Highland Park West (south of 2222, north of Camp Mabry)
-Tortuga Trail (area around this street)
-The Courtyard (look up 'Scout Island Circle' on Google Maps)
-Cat Mountain North (across the river/lake from The Courtyard)

The areas Blakely mentioned around West Lake Hills are also good ideas too, though those will be more expensive. Both areas have good schools and access to outdoorsy locations. There's also a nice golf course at the Austin Country Club, but I don't know how easy it is to get in. I know it's membership by invitation only.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,084 times
Rollingwood - it's technically a suburbs but has great views and is a hop, skip and jump from downtown.

Balcones - Amazing views, at 1.3M you're just in and though a bit further, still pretty central.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:07 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddog View Post
We've been to Austin a couple of times for vacation and love the city - just got back from ACL but have also been for non-event weekends. We're now in Chicago and are considering getting a second home in Austin. Married couple, 50ish, into music, outdoor activities (bkiking, hiking, golf, kayaking, etc), and food.

We want a place with great views out the back (canyon, lake if possible, city not important) and pretty close to town. Schools are unimportant except to the extent they help real estate values. It will be just the two of us but we'll need room for guests. Last house we rented in Northwest Hills had great views but was a bit too "suburban" and was too far out of town. A house we rented about a mile south of the South Congress strip was a great location, kind of a cool, funky old house, but no views at all.

We probably will spend 3-4 months a year total in Austin, mainly during the winter. We'd like to rent the place out when we are not there but understand that isn't particularly likely (tough vacation spot in August I suspect).

Price range is pretty wide - say up to $1.3 million - but for that kind of cash, I'd want a fantastic house, all done, with a pool and great views.

Any suggestions on which neighborhoods to focus on that will fulfill all or most of the above?

Thanks
northwest hills is pretty close in. Westlake hills would possibly be comparable, but there are rural feeling areas of it.

Rolling wood right along lake austin would be out of your price range, but across the street might have canyon views.

That being said I would recommend housing along the barton creek greenbelt. There are a ton of neighborhoods, but many running near south congress/south first etc. Walking distance to zilker.

zip code would be partially 78704

Barton hills is one of the neighborhoods. Not a ton of these so you might need to wait. I saw a house come up on half an acre last year, backing up to the greenbelt with awesome views for 450K which probably would have been a teardown for you.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM

151 posts, read 238,569 times
The problem with wanting a view but not wanting suburban is the first problem. Places with views in Austin tend to be suburban. The closest neighborhood into town with views would be Mount Bonnel/Highland Park neighborhood. Schools are fine, you could find something though it is very pricy there as well. I believe the zip code of 78731 is going to have most of what you are looking for, other neighborhoods include Cat Mountain and previously stated Northwest Hills. Westlake Drive/Westlake Hills is another great option.

Barton Hills would be a great option to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin