Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,477 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am looking right now on the possibility of moving to Austin from a very small tourist town in northern Michigan.

I am 24, it sounds crazy, but I am at the point where I am feeling like I am going nowhere here. I work 6 days a week, sometimes 12 hours (night shift) at an auto factory. After 2 years I am only earning 11.20 an hour and have only 5 days paid vacation. Benefits aren't terrible.

I have a BA in Graphic design, but have never been employed doing it and am very out of touch. In order to pay my loans I just had to get a job...any job.

I have 2 German shepherds and 3 cats. currently I own a 3 bed, 2 full bath house on 2 acres for less than $500 a month (mortgage). Do I stand a chance relocating to Austin?

I am not scared to struggle, but I am used to being able to afford to live relatively comfortably here, except for the job that is slowly killing me and terrible health due to cold dark winters. I honestly have no hope of ever 'moving up' in the work I do, there is no such thing as a promotion in the factory, it's just hard manual labor forever.

There are a lot of reasons I want to leave, I simply don't like it here, it's a very tourist-dependent town. I am very cultural and liberal and I find it hard to connect with anyone here. There are simply no jobs. Period. the job I work is considered 'the good job' here and is looked at with respect.

I'd be looking at initially moving on my own. What's it like to be a single woman in Austin? Do I stand a chance of getting a higher paying job with more chances to move up? Would I stand a chance with my pet situation finding a place to live?

I have lived in southern Michigan while I was in college, but I have never experienced living on my own, because I have always had family to depend on. In TX I would not have that.

Is their any advice you can give me, or am I just crazy and should just stick it out here?

Also the reason I am not looking at just moving back to southern Michigan is for the same reasons I want to leave here, I really don't like the winters, and job are better in the south, but not by much. My skill set really only allows me to work at a $10-$12/hr wage here. Housing is easy to come by in Michigan, but with the breed bans in southern Michigan I can't rent with German Shepherds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM

269 posts, read 428,279 times
Eh, with a BA in Graphic Design it won't be a picnic finding a well paying job no matter which city that you are in. And the cost of living in Austin is going to be dramatically higher. You won't find a 3/2 house to rent for $500 a month, you won't even be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment for that price range. You will likely need to get a roommate and leave the pets behind if youmove to Austin.

If you hate your job, you need to leave, however- you have not listed any reason why you are considering Austin specifically.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
I have 2 German shepherds and 3 cats. currently I own a 3 bed, 2 full bath house on 2 acres for less than $500 a month (mortgage). Do I stand a chance relocating to Austin?

Holy cow! You can cannot rent a shack within 40 miles of Austin for $500 a month. Renting a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with a yard (a fraction of acre) in an outer suburb or rural area 40 miles to the east of Austin will cost roughly triple that! Not including any pet deposit or "pet rent" which would be additional. And no landlord will go for five pets, period.

I know lots of 24 year olds in Austin with college degrees who would be thrilled to make $11.50 an hour. Wages in Austin tend to be low for entry level jobs and competition stiff.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
Eh, with a BA in Graphic Design it won't be a picnic finding a well paying job no matter which city that you are in. And the cost of living in Austin is going to be dramatically higher. You won't find a 3/2 house to rent for $500 a month, you won't even be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment for that price range. You will likely need to get a roommate and leave the pets behind if youmove to Austin.

If you hate your job, you need to leave, however- you have not listed any reason why you are considering Austin specifically.
So true. Unless you have a roommate, with $500 you will not be able to find any place to stay. Living cost in Austin is getting higher every single day. So also account that when considering moving to Austin.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
I came from a similar town in New York, went from making $12, to doubling my salary within a year.

Get a roommate, and rent a place in Williamson county. Much cheaper rents.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Even in Williamson County, even in Elgin, Hutto, McDade, you can't rent a house for $500.

Might be the right move for the OP, hard to tell. Will have to rehome the pets and find a roommate, have a reliable car, and find a job.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM

440 posts, read 714,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Even in Williamson County, even in Elgin, Hutto, McDade, you can't rent a house for $500.

Might be the right move for the OP, hard to tell. Will have to rehome the pets and find a roommate, have a reliable car, and find a job.
I'm back to "why Austin"? simply because of the fierce competition for jobs, low wages and an abundance of newly minted grads.

There are always pockets of red states that are blue - and essentially, Austin's one of them. But there are others. Here's one link you might consider:

Most Affordable Housing Markets for Millennials

Old 10-24-2014, 12:15 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Why Austin? If you think you're having trouble where you're at right now, Austin will throw you into a much bigger world of hurt. As others have mentioned, high housing costs, low wages, mixed with competition from thousands of newly minted college grads and throngs of well educated and experienced people moving here in droves. Imagine yourself in another entry level job, making what you're making but spending triple the amount in housing expenses for much much less.

If I were a young person in your position, I'd be looking at the Nashville and Atlanta areas.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Even in Williamson County, even in Elgin, Hutto, McDade, you can't rent a house for $500. .
He said he OWNS his house and the $500 is a mortgage payment.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Definitely feel the pain of your current situation, but think there needs to be a better plan in place before you pull the trigger to move. Your cost of living is unlikely to be as low as where you are now regardless of where you move to. The COL matches the wage rate.

You need to decide if you want to sacrifice your standard of living, pets, and current residence for an environment you may or may not like better. I would suggest prioritizing the needs versus the wants, and then look for additional areas that are hitting all the needs and some of the wants. Then when some options are determined as far as places that may fit the bill, start looking for employment opportunities. Regular job boards, government job boards, (gov't jobs may require a degree but not always looking for a specific field) and Craigslist are all good resources. Austin isn't the only left leaning place to live that is appealing to young adults. Check out all the options before locking in on this one.

Another thing will be your current home. Is there a decent real estate market where you are or is this going to be an obstacle? Paying for a home you are not living in eats up $$ crazy fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: