Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
It's more economical to re-use some of the buildings. The end result won't look anything like it is now and those surface parking lots are going away.
So this means the redevelopment of Highland Mall will happen around the existing newly remodeled ACC and their being there does not detract from full implementation of the master plan? If so great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:35 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Yes, there will be no mall at Highland! And remember, Dillards, JC Pennys and Macy's left the mall before ACC acquired it. The mall concept has long been dead in that location.

Eventually, the mall footprint will all be ACC buildings (completely renovated and repurposed like the northern end is now) and most the parking lots that face Airport will be mixed use, apartments and retail developed in phases by Red Leaf Development.

here is a 16 page pdf that was presented to the Austin Chamber of Commerce in May.
https://www.austinchamber.com/public...evelopment.pdf

It has lots of nice pictures to give you an idea of the plan, it will be implemented in stages and probably won't be complete for 20 years. The work on this is already 6 years in, the neighborhood association started pushing the zoning and planning part of it even before ACC got involved.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, there will be no mall at Highland! And remember, Dillards, JC Pennys and Macy's left the mall before ACC acquired it. The mall concept has long been dead in that location.

Eventually, the mall footprint will all be ACC buildings (completely renovated and repurposed like the northern end is now) and most the parking lots that face Airport will be mixed use, apartments and retail developed in phases by Red Leaf Development.

here is a 16 page pdf that was presented to the Austin Chamber of Commerce in May.

It has lots of nice pictures to give you an idea of the plan, it will be implemented in stages and probably won't be complete for 20 years. The work on this is already 6 years in, the neighborhood association started pushing the zoning and planning part of it even before ACC got involved.
No doubt what ACC did to their space was fabulous, but I was hoping that their section would have been connected to the rest of the mall in the interim. That would allow students to access the food court until the rest of ACC construction is done. If it will take 20 years, then that would have been a more sensible thing to do.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:

Thanks for the link! I wanted to give you some reputation points, but City Data says I can't do that until I rep some other people.

I'm wondering what the plan is beyond Highland Mall? The whole corridor of Airport Blvd from Lamar to I-35 seems very outdated and ripe for some sort of redevelopment. I heard something about some rezoning in the area, but I don't know what became of that.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:34 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
There is a "great streets" type of program in the works for Airport. Great streets isn't the exact name but I can't think of the correct one.

There are lots of changes coming, the boarded up gas station near Tyson's Tacos is going to become a Shawn Cirkel tapas place, the old Stallion Grill will also be a high end restaurant.

Interestingly the other dead mall on Airport, that nearly empty strip mall to the northeast of the intersection of Airport and Lamar (sort of opposite the Black Star Coop) is being leased again! There was a plan for it to be redeveloped but the ground owner (UT systems) didn't go for it. So now, there are some big spaces in a central location going for cheap in there! Who knows what will happen with it.

Single family homes in that area are seeing significant appreciation.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
There is a "great streets" type of program in the works for Airport. Great streets isn't the exact name but I can't think of the correct one.
Are you thinking of the Form Based Zoning, or something different?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 AM

300 posts, read 414,197 times
Quote:

There are lots of changes coming, the boarded up gas station near Tyson's Tacos is going to become a Shawn Cirkel tapas place, the old Stallion Grill will also be a high end restaurant.

Interestingly the other dead mall on Airport, that nearly empty strip mall to the northeast of the intersection of Airport and Lamar (sort of opposite the Black Star Coop) is being leased again! There was a plan for it to be redeveloped but the ground owner (UT systems) didn't go for it. So now, there are some big spaces in a central location going for cheap in there! Who knows what will happen with it.

Single family homes in that area are seeing significant appreciation.
I heard that HEB would be there months ago. But, with your updated news of UT system rejection, HEB news might just be a rumor.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So this means the redevelopment of Highland Mall will happen around the existing newly remodeled ACC and their being there does not detract from full implementation of the master plan? If so great!
It's part of the full implementation of the master plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin