U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,857,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Only if all of those buildings get built. That picture is fun except for the CHEESY fireworks in the sky...my goodness.

I'm going to take more pics this week.
Yeah, it's pretty cheesy. On the other forums several people have commented it looks like some Asian city.. the ferry-boat looking thing in the front gives it that feel.

Most of those buildings are actually under construction right now -- with the exception of the W (although it has broken ground, I think), the T Stacy project (the angled roof tall tower), the 4 Seasons residences (right in front of the boat), and the Hotel Van Zandt (far right). Other than those, I think everything pictured is currently under construction (or complete), and there are even some projects not included in that image.

Other interesting things --

* Prior to 2004 (completion of Frost), there were 2 buildings of 30 or more stories in Austin. Frost & the Hilton doubled that number in 2004. Right now, there are 6 buildings of over 30 stories under construction in DT Austin. 3 of those are over 40 stories, 1 over 50.

* Austin got a new tallest in 2004 with Frost. The current new tallest, 360 condos, topped out last year and will be complete this year. The new tallest after that (the Austonian) is currently under construction.

* The 360 condo building is the tallest all-residential building in Texas. If the spire was 5 feet taller, it would be the tallest building in Texas outside of Dallas or Houston (as it is, there is a building in Ft Worth that is 4 foot higher).

* 360 will be surpassed as the tallest residential building in Texas, and tallest in Austin, by the Austonian in 2009. The Austonian WILL be the tallest building in Texas outside of Dallas or Houston.

Last edited by atxcio; 01-02-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: I saw the future and it told me to edit this message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,592,187 times
Another problem I just found with that faux pic...the Frost Bank Tower(which is 4 years old) is not included...uh, oops. Getting a little too excited about the future, that they forgot the present I guess

I like some new architecture, and I get that Austin is really a 21st century city(in the grand scheme), but I do hope that city planners include a few traditionally "inspired" buildings into the cityscape. Otherwise the place might look a little repetitive. I don't think Austin has a chief architect and board that specifically oversees design. I could be wrong about that....can anyone clarify?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 25,566,812 times
I would agree. If they keep that modern, we'll be Houston lite in the future. We need more traditionally inspired things to keep that from happening.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,857,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle1234 View Post
Note that since the mortgage crash, most of these will never break ground. Many of those in this pic are high-rise condos, of which there were concerns long before the mortgage market fell apart.
Read the above message. Most of what is in that picture has already broken ground or is currently under construction. Now, that's not to say some won't be completed... but it looks like the overwhelming amount of them will. 2008 will be a very interesting year in that regard, as many of the new condo units will actually be coming on line. If they don't sell (or don't close because of the subprime mortgage crisis)... then we'll see what happens. Worst case is that we'll have a bunch of cheap condos downtown for everyone to move into!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:15 PM

412 posts, read 1,699,598 times
Another problem I just found with that faux pic...the Frost Bank Tower(which is 4 years old) is not included...uh, oops. Getting a little too excited about the future, that they forgot the present I guess

No it is blocked by the other buildings. Or they want to make it seem like it is by not including it.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
then we'll see what happens. Worst case is that we'll have a bunch of cheap condos downtown for everyone to move into!
The greedy side of me hopes that will happen. Since I can't afford to buy an 800 sq ft cottage for $320,000 here in South-Central, if/when the condo market caves in, maybe we'll be able to get something in the city. Wishful thinking. And I don't really want to see that happen to this market(like Miami).

In reality, those that do have trouble selling, will probably turn into luxury apartments before they dump them off for cheap sale.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle1234 View Post
Austin trying to be Houston-lite reminds me of a couple of kids trying on mommy's heels, trying to look like a grown-up....simply a silly sight, and why compete if your claim to fame is livability...Why destroy the "weird"?
Why do you keep changing your name? It makes me nervous

Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM

362 posts, read 1,020,318 times
Austin will look better than Charlotte, if those get built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin