Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM

77 posts, read 381,812 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting here in NOLA, watching predictions for 23 degrees in Austin tomorrow and thinking that I really screwed up royally -- did not wrap outside faucets at our new home.

Anybody know where that 23 degree temp is predicted to be? We live on Wimberly Lane in the Barton Creek area -- I'm thinking if the temp is at the airport, which is at a lower altitude, then the temp in the Barton Creek area might be lower because it's higher, yes?

Should I be worried enough about those faucets to call and ask our newly met neighbors to run over and wrap those pipes? (And to send them a BIG goodie basket if I do!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,984,918 times
Don't quote me on it but I heard on the news last year that at 19 degrees is when you need to be concerned about your pipes. And we know the news is always accurate.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM

264 posts, read 1,091,134 times
I Know they are accurate for the temperatures in the USA, but not international ones.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,789,612 times
I'm not far at all from there and I'm not wrapping my pipes. I typically do it when it's going to drop below 26 degrees, with some more urgency if it has been below freezing for several days. That hasn't happened, so I am not very worried. Local weather on KXAN says 29 degrees tonight... it's reading 43 at my house right now, so if there is a hard freeze it will be for a very short time just before dawn. I think the pipes will be OK, especially if you have your heat on (even if it's set low)

Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks much, folks. I did leave the heat on, set at 50, so we should be okay. Am I correct that the "official" temp is that of the airport? Or is it somewhere else?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,428,196 times
Usually, the official temp is at ABIA, although sometimes they report the old site, Camp Mabry. Sometimes, they give you the most 'interesting' of the two sites (i.e. the coldest in winter or the hotest in summer).

Anyway, the temperature can vary easily by 5 degrees in just a few miles (or even a few hundred yards, in some cases). The hills, valleys, and creek beds make a huge difference. The previous poster was correct, though, that it is not really how cold it gets, but for how long. Usually the low is right before dawn and it did not necessarily stay below freezing for very long. A couple or three hours is no big deal at all, and it will get waaaay above freezing during the day, which will warm up your house/pipes ahead of the next cold night.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM

701 posts, read 2,473,111 times
If you check out weatherunderground.com, you might get more accurate temps.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks, Phisch & Trainwreck20. Will check out that weather site. Keep forgetting about it when it isn't hurricane season!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM

801 posts, read 2,203,889 times
romesq...I know my post is too late for this freeze, but, if temperatures are important to you, you should get yourself a minimum thermometer and place it in a ventilated shelter or adjacent to the north side of the house (somewhere it doesn't get sunshine on it). You can track your own minimum temperatures and compare them to the airport to get a better feel for this. The National Weather Service office in New Braunfels reports the airport minimum daily. If you are near a creek or in a low area, your minimum temperatures are likely going to be lower than at the airport. Relative terrain is important, as colder air drains into lower elevations at night, especially on calm nights. One important thing people should realize is that, forecast temperatures are for a standard, two meters (about 6 feet) off the ground. On a clear, calm night, temperatures along and near the ground will be lower. Also, temperatures on surfaces that radiate well will be lower. That's why you will sometimes see frost on your roof or on a car when the "official" temperature is 35 or 40 degrees. And...one other thing, temperatures can vary considerably across towns and cities. The "official" forecast temperature may just be for a spot that should be considered a reference point.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,428,196 times
The meteorololgist mentioned on the radio that ABIA was located in one of the coldest locations in town. The official temp there was 22 deg F this morning, but Mabry was 30 deg. F at the same time. Both are accurate, btw, but it is a good example of the temp. variation you can see across town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin