Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 AM

126 posts, read 150,837 times

Advertisements

do you mean the fake arse wannabes that pollute austin?

"Austin is great, i love my city"

Me: oh yeah... whats so great about it?

Um, um, um... this and that and this and that...

Me:what do you like to do in austin?

um, um, um.. not much..i dont get out much... im too busy.. but i hear zilker is nice.

Me: oh.. so where do you live in austin?

um, um, um... actually i live in plfugerville.

Me: yeaaaahhh. alright alright alllright..

its a familiar conversation i have with ppl i meet or know from austin. i left austin in 2010.. for oz.. i dont hate austin.. but.. blah blah blah.. if i ever come back.. i may bypass austin and head out towards new braunfels.. for no reason.. i may stop by hippie hollow for a day.. and paddle around in a kayak perving... like dem dar cweepee ones do..

i prefer hippies to the shiner bock drinking hipsters,yipster who really cant stand the taste of beer.. thats the austin i miss.

anyway.. cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
I suspect there are still plenty hanging around the Hippy Hollow area.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 PM

152 posts, read 196,317 times
I think labeling people so that someone can look down or up to them speaks loudly about their insecurities. Live and let live. Don't pre judge because you will miss out on some of the most beautiful things in life.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:27 PM

615 posts, read 780,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355spider View Post
I think labeling people so that someone can look down or up to them speaks loudly about their insecurities. Live and let live. Don't pre judge because you will miss out on some of the most beautiful things in life.
Exactly this.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
I really don't think anyone in here is actually labeling people to undermine them. They're describing a certain type of person or group to clarify a subculture. I agree with live and let live, but what's knee jerk to me more than anything is throwing out the "insecurity" label when others want to talk about a generational trend. It screams of a "holier than thou" attitude.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:11 PM

615 posts, read 780,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I really don't think anyone in here is actually labeling people to undermine them. They're describing a certain type of person or group to clarify a subculture. I agree with live and let live, but what's knee jerk to me more than anything is throwing out the "insecurity" label when others want to talk about a generational trend. It screams of a "holier than thou" attitude.
"Hipster" is routinely used on this forum as a pejorative term for anything people don't currently like about Austin. That's just a fact—nothing knee jerk about it.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
"Hipster" is routinely used on this forum as a pejorative term for anything people don't currently like about Austin. That's just a fact—nothing knee jerk about it.
Maybe by people who don't really know what it means. I just said that back in the 00s, when I was hanging around Austin, "hipster" was a rarely used word. The way I remember it they were working class post grads, post grunge/alternative young people who were more politically active in third party or independent parties, and were not consumed with the latest trends. They really did their own thing as eclectic or eccentric as may have looked to other people. I would've pictured it as something a bit closer to the move Reality Bites, even though that was Gen X.

What I am saying though is that I see now are a lot of upwardly mobile young professionals who liked the older hipster scene and grafted it to their lifestyle.

The point I was trying to make was the things that most people (who aren't familiar with trends) that they don't like about this or that about Austin actually stem from yuppie "hipsters". So If you're accusing me of anything it's that I might not like that whole new subculture because they blend the perceived pretentiousness of the old "hipster", with the new technologies of the day.

Now you could say live and let live all you want but these forums are to discuss what people like about the new age in Austin and what they don't like. Acting holier than thou and shutting down anyone who says the slightest negative thing about something you like, doesn't make you the better person.

Now would you be the first to want to say something if you saw a bunch of Jersey Boys or Mass Holes or NYC investment bankers acting up, or would you live and let live? I mean I get it, I used to hate it too whenever my friends in small town Texas would think something was "Weird" when it wasn't and it was just creative, but there is such a thing as being pretentious, there is such a thing as being obnoxiously quirky, there are people who hold their lifestyle above yours and would let you know it too. I mean maybe this is what people complain about? IDK, but it doesn't make you a saint to step in and say live and let live, or to accuse someone of having hang ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin