Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:55 PM

181 posts, read 429,324 times

Advertisements

Moved into a new house in Leander two months ago. Three days ago noticed a crack in the tile floor. Crack starts with a grout line at the exterior wall and has cracked the grout line on one tile and cracked two in half. Outside the same crack runs from ground level up to the floor line. Today found a second crack coming from the outside and has cracked two tiles in half. Same as the other one outside, the coating they put over the rough foundation slab is cracked ground to inside floor line. Both on the same side and about 10 feet apart.
Not real familiar with slab foundation, so should I worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:03 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
I sure as hell would have that checked out fast. It could be something as simple as a light mix on the skin coat, but could be much worse.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks, builder says they will only fix cracked tile once under warranty, so I am a bit worried getting anything done too quickly.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:36 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghAustin View Post
Thanks, builder says they will only fix cracked tile once under warranty, so I am a bit worried getting anything done too quickly.
They'll all say that until you make enough stink. Nothing will submarine a subdivision faster than foundation problems. If they're still building there, you'll be able to get it done multiple times if needed.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Have a foundation company come out and take a look. The good ones will do it free of charge.

Did you have inspections done while the house was being built, at slab and framing and before closing?

Old 11-15-2014, 02:54 PM

After, slab was within specs for level. But was covered by flooring before the inspector made it out.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
New homes expand and contract a lot more than older homes. Floor tile and sheetrock cracks are not uncommon, and will be covered by warranty first year for cosmetic issues, and longer for structural issues. But what you describe sounds a bit more than the norm.

I would start documenting everything, communicate only in writing (or document phone or in person conversations immediately afterward), and follow the process set forth for reporting/requesting warranty work.

Steve

Old 11-16-2014, 03:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
A concrete guy once told me there are two inevitable things about concrete; 1) it turns gray and 2) it cracks. Cosmetic concrete cracks are normal.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Have a foundation company come out and take a look. The good ones will do it free of charge.

Did you have inspections done while the house was being built, at slab and framing and before closing?
Will it be the "Good Ones" that do it free of charge, or those most likely to find issues and recommend that they fix the issues.

Can you recommend a good company?

I am sure my foundation is not under warranty, the house is not that new.
But after living here for a few years, I am starting to see where the previous owners did a lot of cover up work to hide cracks in the walls.
As they crack again, I can see where the tape was applied, and previous cracks filled in.

I think bad foundations is common in my neighborhood. This may be one reason that home values have not gone up, in the little pocket I live in.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 AM

My problem is, I am under a warranty and have only lived here for two months, so no independent company is going to come out because they know the builder will use their company.
Builder does not seem worried, but both cracks have gotten longer with the cold weather last night. One followed a grout line and the other one split another tile in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: