Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM

79 posts, read 79,691 times

Advertisements

So I'm guessing the best bet would be to live close to wherever I get a job so I don't have a long commute. Sounds like public transit isn't going anywhere. I read somewhere that there were improvements coming but I guess that was wishful thinking.

I wasn't expecting anything near Philly's level of transit though. I just wanted a good comparison. I know the Southern states are hurting when it comes to public transportation. It's a shame people are so attached to their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Might actually be a case of people being attached to their money and not confident at all in the plans that have been proposed doing anything to solve congestion.

Guess that's a "shame"...

Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1980 View Post
So I'm guessing the best bet would be to live close to wherever I get a job so I don't have a long commute. Sounds like public transit isn't going anywhere. I read somewhere that there were improvements coming but I guess that was wishful thinking.

I wasn't expecting anything near Philly's level of transit though. I just wanted a good comparison. I know the Southern states are hurting when it comes to public transportation. It's a shame people are so attached to their cars.
Oh, you're definitely entering the land of "does not get it". We're determined to be just like any other large southern auto-dependent city despite allusions of being different.

If you want to live without a car, best bet is to live in a neighborhood that's walkable.

On the list below - neighborhoods from 11 up to 1 are doable car-free.

Austin Apartments for Rent and Austin Rentals - Walk Score

Car-lite maybe neighborhoods 20 and up.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1980 View Post

- Every single poster here will encourage your to "live close to wherever (you) get a job".

- Whether or not Texas is a Southern state has been a topic of discussion.

- Not sure if it's a "shame" that people enjoy the freedom of their cars (& Trucks), but it's definitely a fact that the majority of people here would rather not pay thru the nose to subsidize the finite transportation for a select few. (per a vote 2 weeks ago)

Old 11-18-2014, 01:57 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Most Southern cities were largely built (or at least populated) after the advent and popularity of cars. So the cities were constructed with the idea of driving in mind. The cities in the Northeast, however, were largely built and populated long before cars, so they were constructed to be conducive to walking, which also makes public transit much more feasible.

And for a state that people don't consider Southern, Texas sure does seem to hold tight to its Confederate roots.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:01 PM

79 posts, read 79,691 times
People in Philadelphia are equally attached to their cars actually. Many of my city-living friends don't have a car... but just as many do. It's a little too easy to have a car here. I use my car to go to the grocery store, or visit my mom, but I try to use public transit as much as possible when I venture into the city because driving and parking here is not super fun. Not awful (nothing like DC or NYC) but not fun.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:02 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The cities in the Northeast, however, were largely built and populated long before cars, so they were constructed to be conducive to walking, which also makes public transit much more feasible.
They also grew up in a time when rail was a much more prevalent mode of transportation - both passenger and freight. As a consequence, they have much more extensive rail lines already in place. Almost impossible to retrofit commuter rail into cities that grew up in the post-rail era.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Most Southern cities were largely built (or at least populated) after the advent and popularity of cars. So the cities were constructed with the idea of driving in mind. The cities in the Northeast, however, were largely built and populated long before cars, so they were constructed to be conducive to walking, which also makes public transit much more feasible.

And for a state that people don't consider Southern, Texas sure does seem to hold tight to its Confederate roots.
Not quite sure where you get that. I hardly ever hear that even mentioned anywhere but here. Texas does, however, hold tight to ALL its roots - Mexican, German, French, Southern, Western. It's not Southern, it's Texas.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:18 PM

126 posts, read 150,878 times
it depends on how far you are from your job. if you dont mind the bus, it will get you around most parts of austin. however, some routes are limited to specific area and others can take a long time to reach their destination. parts of n austin to downtown can take an hour - two depending on the time of day.

if you live close to downtown, saying you work there, bus rides can be rather short once you figure out their schedule.

Cabs can be cheap depending on how far you have to travel as well and considering how much you are use to paying for transportation in philly this may be comparable. At the same time, cab fares can rack up if you live further out. im just using downtown as an example.

as its been said, the train is limited. you could always live near a station. it really on depends where you want to live and where you are working.

Last edited by bossh0g; 11-18-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 03:28 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not quite sure where you get that. I hardly ever hear that even mentioned anywhere but here. Texas does, however, hold tight to ALL its roots - Mexican, German, French, Southern, Western. It's not Southern, it's Texas.
Driving around this morning in South Austin, I saw 5 Confederate flags - 3 on bumper stickers, 1 in a house's window, and 1 on the wall in a garage that was opened (different house).

And if, as you said, "Texas does, however, hold tight to ALL its roots", then it would make sense that the Confederate roots are also tightly held onto. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just saying what I saw today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin