Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 PM

615 posts, read 776,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Oh, is that what it is? Gee, by golly. I used geography, pardon me!

And I could care less about your proper definition of east side. I'm just here for some lolz since you latched onto hounds description for some odd reason. Again who cares what east side is, the city parks dept wants to explore developing a golf course.
Cool story, bro.

Alrighty, I'm off to go do fun Friday night things on the east side. Ciao!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 PM

27 posts, read 77,480 times
In the council meeting the representative for Austin Water said it was the first he had heard that reclaimed water would be used. I don't know what anyone downstream pays but I do know that Austin residents are not the only people who need water and if you take a look at the Colorado as it leaves town (from the bridge on FM 973) it is disgusting. Austin does a real number on the river as it goes thru town but guess it is good enough for the towns east of us. More of the hooray for me and tough for you attitude that is all too prevalent today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I don't believe the proposal is to pump water from Colorado River. It's supposed to be a low-water use course and rely on reclaimed water. Not sure on the details about that.

As for the rice farmers, I really could not care less about them. They pay pennies on the dollar for what we pay for water. Its interruptible, that's why it's so cheap.

Last edited by Sushi4321; 11-21-2014 at 11:54 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,044,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Sure coulda fooled me on that, based on my last trip to Top Golf.

Look, are there too many golf courses, driven by RE development? Yes. Are golf courses closing? Yes, but mainly due to the underlying land becoming too valuable. However, in 1960, there were 5 million golfers. Since then, the population has grown by 75%, yet there are now 25 million golfers.

So, accepting your argument (which I don't) "that golf is a dying sport", would love to see something behind what you propose is the cause - "because of the massive use of resources it requires".
Less golfers:

The NGF reports a core base of some 25 million golfers, down from 30 million in 2000.

The reason is probably that it takes too long to play.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 AM

684 posts, read 806,807 times
LOL i love how some people here actually believe what the "city council " says. Really? Do you really think a politician is honest? especially when it comes to money and special interests, thats the problem with the world these days, our own society.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:30 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,063,245 times
Personally, I think the main reason to oppose this is the water use. The reclaimed water thing is only just a thought until a precise plan is proposed. Even then, reclaimed water is in limited supply as well. A golf course is a poor use of precious water, and sets a very poor example, as the city urges (and requires) citizens to conserve. Any new parks or recreational facilities should be made with native, xeriscaped and natural areas, not land that needs irrigation.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Any new parks or recreational facilities should be made with native, xeriscaped and natural areas, not land that needs irrigation.
Does that include concert venues?

Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,743,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Cool story, bro.

Alrighty, I'm off to go do fun Friday night things on the east side. Ciao!
Excellent !

- Did they put up Outdoor Lights at the public Metro Park Golf Course on Decker already?

- Maybe playing a little mixed doubles tonite at the Austin Tennis Center on Johnny Whatever road?

- Or does Waffle House have a special on "smashed & smothered" hash browns tonite?

Seriously bro..... I (& apparently others) have no idea what to call this part of Austin. If calling it Eastside offends, give us a name to use for this further east....side of Austin (which is not located in Manor). Either that or get used to having your panties in a wad (because us Neanderthals living north & west will call it eastside until we're given something better to call it).

hound <----is OK with my hood being called westside or nw side or whatever.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 AM

18 posts, read 20,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Excellent !

- Did they put up Outdoor Lights at the public Metro Park Golf Course on Decker already?

- Maybe playing a little mixed doubles tonite at the Austin Tennis Center on Johnny Whatever road?

- Or does Waffle House have a special on "smashed & smothered" hash browns tonite?

Seriously bro..... I (& apparently others) have no idea what to call this part of Austin. If calling it Eastside offends, give us a name to use for this further east....side of Austin (which is not located in Manor). Either that or get used to having your panties in a wad (because us Neanderthals living north & west will call it eastside until we're given something better to call it).

hound <----is OK with my hood being called westside or nw side or whatever.

We call it NE Austin. Manor, to those of us that live in Harris Branch is on the other side of 130.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:37 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,732,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi4321 View Post
In the council meeting the representative for Austin Water said it was the first he had heard that reclaimed water would be used. I don't know what anyone downstream pays but I do know that Austin residents are not the only people who need water and if you take a look at the Colorado as it leaves town (from the bridge on FM 973) it is disgusting. Austin does a real number on the river as it goes thru town but guess it is good enough for the towns east of us. More of the hooray for me and tough for you attitude that is all too prevalent today.
Again - you stated specifically I should care about Rice Farmers. I do not. That's absurd. They pay pennies on the dollar for water precisely because it is interruptible.

That's quite aside from other ecological consideration for the river of the golf course.

Now, that being said, I don't know that there will be any impact AT ALL on water downstream. If you can find that let me know.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi4321 View Post
Austin does a real number on the river as it goes thru town but guess it is good enough for the towns east of us. More of the hooray for me and tough for you attitude that is all too prevalent today.
None of the towns downriver on the Colorado use it for their drinking water. So yes, it IS good enough for the towns east of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin