Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 AM

200 posts, read 324,321 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've been to Austin 2wice & had loved the downtown scenery of the river near the Congress Ave. bridge (I'm a musician & loved the clubs there too.). However, I had lived in Nashville, TN for 4 months & liked their lake to. I had lived next to "Percy Priest Lake" which became my favorite. What I loved about that lake is that it has small islands scattered in the middle. But the problem is Nashville is predominantly country-pop music & there isn't that much clubs that do Rock like in Austin. So, I'm thinking of moving to Austin b/c of the music - b/c of the fact that Austin HAS Rock & is more Experimental than Nashville. So, my question is:

Are there any lakes in Austin that look or are similar to "Percy Priest Lake"?

What I also like about "Percy Priest" is that it's Not a circular lake like most lakes. I know like up here in NY the lakes Upstate like Lake George or Mohegan Lake are circular. They're just a Circular of water with trees surrounding the water.

Here are some pics of "Percy Priest Lake" (Aerial view - lake's Not in a circle):

http://wsmv.images.worldnow.com/images/26033692_BG1.jpg

Here's another pic (there's no distraction of facing people's homes - just trees & wilderness):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-I813i6r9nc...+the+trail.jpg

Now just like the 1st pic when I looked at the aerial view of "Lake Travis" I saw waterfront homes facing the lake whereas "Percy Priest" you really get more of that nature setting w/ ONLY Trees. There's no "distraction" at looking/facing other people's homes. Meaning, I'm a type of person who prefers to see wilderness & be Away from the "city" scene like the water near Congress Ave. So, from looking @ these pics:

Could someone tell me what lakes (if any) would be similar in Austin?

I'm open to any insights. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Red Bud Isle has what you are looking for

Old 11-22-2014, 05:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
Hi! I've been to Austin 2wice & had loved the downtown scenery of the river near the Congress Ave. bridge (I'm a musician & loved the clubs there too.). However, I had lived in Nashville, TN for 4 months & liked their lake to. I had lived next to "Percy Priest Lake" which became my favorite. What I loved about that lake is that it has small islands scattered in the middle. But the problem is Nashville is predominantly country-pop music & there isn't that much clubs that do Rock like in Austin. So, I'm thinking of moving to Austin b/c of the music - b/c of the fact that Austin HAS Rock & is more Experimental than Nashville. So, my question is:

Are there any lakes in Austin that look or are similar to "Percy Priest Lake"?

What I also like about "Percy Priest" is that it's Not a circular lake like most lakes. I know like up here in NY the lakes Upstate like Lake George or Mohegan Lake are circular. They're just a Circular of water with trees surrounding the water.

Here are some pics of "Percy Priest Lake" (Aerial view - lake's Not in a circle):

http://wsmv.images.worldnow.com/images/26033692_BG1.jpg

Here's another pic (there's no distraction of facing people's homes - just trees & wilderness):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-I813i6r9nc...+the+trail.jpg

Now just like the 1st pic when I looked at the aerial view of "Lake Travis" I saw waterfront homes facing the lake whereas "Percy Priest" you really get more of that nature setting w/ ONLY Trees. There's no "distraction" at looking/facing other people's homes. Meaning, I'm a type of person who prefers to see wilderness & be Away from the "city" scene like the water near Congress Ave. So, from looking @ these pics:

Could someone tell me what lakes (if any) would be similar in Austin?

I'm open to any insights. Thanks!
decker lake maybe

Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 PM

200 posts, read 324,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
decker lake maybe
Austin97,

THANKS!! Yeah, "Decker Lake" Does seem similar compared to "Red Bud Isle". I looked @ pics of "Red Bud Isle" & wasn't too pleased. I felt that it (Red Bud) WASN'T like "Percy Priest" b/c the water looked GREEN Instead of BLUE like "Percy Priest". Plus, NO OFFENSE, but it made me uneasy to see dogs playing in the water. Please Forgive me for saying that, but it's just that I feel dogs would mess up the water (I mean, who knows that when they play @ some point they could "go to the Bathroom" IN The Lake (Bud Isle). I'm NOT saying I'm against dogs. Just that like "Percy Priest" people don't bring their dogs to GO INTO the lake. Yes, they DO bring their dogs, but I've Never Seen people ("Percy Priest") allow their dogs to Go INTO the lake. For the most part, "Percy Priest" has A LOT of FISHING activities if anything.

But yeah, "Decker Lake" (a.k.a. "Walter E. Long") seems MORE Like "Percy Priest". When I go down to Austin this yr. 1 of the things that will be on my "to do list" will be to Go To "Decker Lake".

However, I did go on Google to check out pics, but then I went on "Google Maps" to see where it's located in Austin. I see that it's east of East Austin & from Congress Ave. to the lake I would have to take I-35 North & that by car it's 20 mins???

(Ok basically it said 23 mins. by car, but I'm rounding it off to 20 mins. that is, any time UNDER a 1/2 hr. Therefore, it doesn't seem like a 1/2 hr. nor seem too far from DOWNTOWN. But I Do want to know from you:

How Long would it take Driving From Downtown to "Decker Lake"?

What is the Easiest way to get to the lake from Austin metro area?

BTW. is it true that "Decker Lake is a.k.a. "Walter E. Long" lake) - just for the record.

Anyway, again THANKS for your suggestions.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:41 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
1 - You do realize that there is an incredible amount of wildlife that lives in/on the lakes (fish, ducks, snakes) or around the lakes (possum, racoons, DEER, dogs, etc), and all their waste ends up getting washed into the lake? Worrying about dogs swimming in a lake is kind of like worrying about a book of matches in a forest fire. Anyway, dogs will be swimming in every local lake at one time or another.

2 - Decker lake is as a coolant lake for a power plant and is fairly shallow; therefore it is pretty very warm - even uncomfortably warm in the summer. There are no islands on the lake at all, although there are some minor coves.

3 - It is a pretty short drive from downtown. You would only be on I-35 for a short while, as the lake is east and I-35 is N/S. Lots of ways to get there, but maybe MLK to Decker Ln.

4 - Yes on the dual names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: