Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
And men, your big car won't compensate for your small package
HaHaHa

Damn, I guess I'll have to get a big cowboy hat instead

Again, I like pick-ups(smaller ones for me). That is truly an American icon, up there with jazz and cowboy boots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM

106 posts, read 391,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
HaHaHa

Damn, I guess I'll have to get a big cowboy hat instead

Again, I like pick-ups(smaller ones for me). That is truly an American icon, up there with jazz and cowboy boots!

Well, the cowboy hat should do the trick haha.

Again, my vendetta isn't against pick-ups, they make great sense if you're the kind of person who hauls anything or takes trips on any sort of regular basis. It's the moms loading their groceries into giant SUVs at the store that bother me.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
Well, the cowboy hat should do the trick haha.

Again, my vendetta isn't against pick-ups, they make great sense if you're the kind of person who hauls anything or takes trips on any sort of regular basis. It's the moms loading their groceries into giant SUVs at the store that bother me.
I hear ya' and I totally agree. I admit, I'm kind of judgmental about really big SUVs. I know it's not nice to assume things about people without knowing them(a lot of my dear friends have them), but when you are an aggressive bully driver and you drive a big army tank? You are a d*uchebag and I will invent all sorts of personality affectations, assumptions and shortcomings about you

I know, it isn't friendly but either is aggressive, selfish driving.

The only way this changes is when the cost of gas becomes insane. And it will at some point.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM

184 posts, read 1,007,314 times
Thanks for the great feedback.

I must admit my opinion is biased because I have never owned a full sized SUV or truck.

I agree that personal use of large vehicles makes sense but feel those cases are far and few in between -- just like the occasional need for a UHaul truck or rental vehicles. We drive sedans and are raising two very active boys and never feel the need for more space to carry toys and stuff around. We have bike racks and pack our stuff efficiently in our VW trunk. I don't get why many people need to carry their houses with them to their work everyday. Infact in Oregon where there are "real" outdoors and people camp out more frequently, off-roading seems to be a lesser requirement than it is in TX. Maybe TX is different.

One major concern I have with many large SUV drivers (as was pointed by someone) is that they seem to be generally unaware that their vehicles are unsafe at highway speeds, cannot be handled like cars in emergency maneuvers and require a lot of distance to stop.

Although it would hurt most of us but I think higher gas prices is the only way people will rethink about their super-sized habits.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Austin doesn't have "real" outdoors?

Hmmm... that's news to me.... I'll have to remember that when I am out on the lake, hiking in the hills, helping our friend on his horse ranch....

Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I can't imagine that there aren't a few pretty rugged types up in Oregon who keep themselves at improved camping sites accessible by a basic car. Someone must be pushing limits of old logging and mining roads out there. There are still some pretty rural areas of Texas where "cattle is king" (I mean that farming and ranching are still pretty big business) and these guys need their trucks for clearing brush, towing, etc... Not as many chances or places for offroading around here, but honestly, there are some things that people need to do that a VW just can't quite muster. I think Hummers should have never become anything but military vehicles. There's barely any room in those things at all, besides for sitting and driving!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post
Thanks for the great feedback.

I must admit my opinion is biased because I have never owned a full sized SUV or truck.

I agree that personal use of large vehicles makes sense but feel those cases are far and few in between -- just like the occasional need for a UHaul truck or rental vehicles. We drive sedans and are raising two very active boys and never feel the need for more space to carry toys and stuff around. We have bike racks and pack our stuff efficiently in our VW trunk. I don't get why many people need to carry their houses with them to their work everyday. Infact in Oregon where there are "real" outdoors and people camp out more frequently, off-roading seems to be a lesser requirement than it is in TX. Maybe TX is different.

One major concern I have with many large SUV drivers (as was pointed by someone) is that they seem to be generally unaware that their vehicles are unsafe at highway speeds, cannot be handled like cars in emergency maneuvers and require a lot of distance to stop.

Although it would hurt most of us but I think higher gas prices is the only way people will rethink about their super-sized habits.

OK, I think we all agree that trucks can be/are very useful. I think our discussion is really about people buying extra-large vehicles for either status, perceived convenience or just for the hell of it, and that those reasons are often parallel with aggressive, inconsiderate and dangerous driving, not to mention an irreverence towards a more sustainable lifestyle. So I think we should make that distinction.

As far as outdoors go, Texas does indeed have "real" outdoors. Not sure what you meant by that. The Hill country doesn't have mountains(west Texas does) but there is some very rugged country around here. I usually seek that kind of stuff out and let me tell you, my Focus wagon with roof racks takes a beating I've backpacked and hiked all over the country and there are places like this in every state. For stuff like that, I really miss my little pick-up...and I am a packing genius...

BTW, little pick-ups are the vehicle of choice for artists as they need them for hauling around sculptures, paintings etc...Almost every artist I know has one.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Is there still a huge income tax write off...like $8K...if you buy a 1-ton+ vehicle? This includes the Expedition and maybe some other SUVs. It was meant as a write off for small businesses but some people found it cheaper to upgrade the size of their vehicle and save money.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
My wife has a 4Runner. With one car seat and the stroller in the back there is very little room left over. I can easily see why people would want something larger.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I love big trucks, big SUVS, Lincoln Navigators, King Size Hummers...etc....the sooner we run out of petroleum the faster we'll all be driving bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin