U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM

251 posts, read 286,613 times

Advertisements

Friend and I are looking at Austin as a possible relocation destination soon and coming from NY/NJ area, was wondering how the Italian food is?

We have lived other places and know that food options are always a concern. We come from Upstate NY (arguably better Italian than anywhere else in NY) and just wanna know how the experience is with other Italian food there? We already know Tex Mex and barbecue are obvious strengths. What about Vietnamese as well?

Thank you for any help or insight in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 03:33 PM

65 posts, read 80,307 times
I'm from NJ and the hubby is from upstate NY. I'm not going to lie - there's not very good Italian food here. However, we LOVE Saccone's pizza (Jersey-style) and find Reale's in NW Austin to be very good. Another Italian restaurant we love, but that doesn't remind us of home, is Mandola's. Fabulous food!

Can't help with Vietnamese.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Yikes.

We're familiar with pizza and Italian food from Utica to NYC to Philly and everywhere in between.

Its not a deal breaker but it does suck that it doesn't seem like Austin has very good Italian.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:42 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,854,696 times
Traditionally Austin hasn't had good Italian food, but with so many restaurants having just opened, I'm not sure anymore -- we may have some good stuff out there. For east-coast style Italian, Reale's has been our favorite but it's not on the level that you might find in other cities. If you try some of the new places let us know!

For Vietnamese, we do have many good options. Anything around the Chinatown shopping center in N Austin (there are several in the area) will be good. However, specific recommendations might be better if you are looking for a particular category -- I have different favorites for Banh Mi, Bun/Pho, and traditional dishes. For Banh Mi, I like the Baguette House and Tranh Nhi. For noodles and some other dishes, I like Sunflower. For a bit more "American Style" Pho/Bun, Kim Phung has been around for a long time and lots of people like it.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:42 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,648,578 times
This question is kind of like posing the inverse in your neck of the woods.

How's the Texmex or BBQ in upstate NY?

The quality and quantity of pickings are about the same for Italian here. Might be a spot or two that are close, but nothing really worth talking about.

Vietnamese and Thai are coming around rather nicely though. Along with some really cool fusion stuff - a la EastsideKing, etc.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM

3,176 posts, read 5,873,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
This question is kind of like posing the inverse in your neck of the woods.

How's the Texmex or BBQ in upstate NY?

The quality and quantity of pickings are about the same for Italian here. Might be a spot or two that are close, but nothing really worth talking about.

Vietnamese and Thai are coming around rather nicely though. Along with some really cool fusion stuff - a la EastsideKing, etc.

THIS.

(If great Italian food is a priority for you, don't move to Texas.)

Old 12-12-2014, 03:49 PM

We figured.

We hear/read a lot about the food there, nothing too wild like you would in San Francisco or Chicago but very good.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:38 PM

4,574 posts, read 6,367,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
THIS.

(If great Italian food is a priority for you, don't move to Texas.)
Agreed....but if your last name ends in a vowel, come on down & open a d*mn restaurant. The Northeast type Italian joints mentioned above (Saccones & Reales) do well (& I eat at one or the other once a month). Open one up & make your fortune. If it's the real deal (& you use mama's recipes), I'll eat there.

(It's about time a citydata northeasterner opens an Italian joint....or a SoCal dude opens up a fish taco or Santa Maria BBQ joint.....instead of wondering why we don't have lots of restaurant types that we obviously/logically shouldn't have.)

Open it next to the Subway stop.....oh wait.

Last edited by hound 109; 12-12-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 04:49 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,216,686 times
Terrible.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:56 PM

7,228 posts, read 15,150,655 times
I grew up in a town where pretty much all restaurant food was Italian. Nearly all family owned. Fabulous.

You will find nothing like that here. N O T H I N G Mainly because there aren't very many Italians here. During the historic period for southern European immigration to the US say, 1830 to 1920, nearly none of them came to Texas. (And there was very little for them to come to, almost no manufacturing in Texas then).

But there are a few outposts already mentioned up thread. AND nearly every big project now under development in Austin is promising an Italian restaurant (JW Marriott is supposed to have one as well as the Fairmount) but I'm not too hopeful. Just had a meal recently at Olive and June which is Shawn Cirkel's attempt at an Italian restaurant and I was very underwhelmed.

I still save my serious Italian eating for when I travel. I've learned to love Tex-Mex and BBQ instead. There is some Vietnamese here. GREAT Vietnamese food in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin