Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:32 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajohns View Post
Wow a 20% jump in one lease renewal is a lot. Where did you get the information? Did you used to live there?
3 of my current employees have all lived there. They'll suck you in with discounted lease rates and bank on you not wanting to leave. It's not uncommon in Austin for your lease rate to jump 10-20% at renewal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:46 AM

8 posts, read 8,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
3 of my current employees have all lived there. They'll suck you in with discounted lease rates and bank on you not wanting to leave. It's not uncommon in Austin for your lease rate to jump 10-20% at renewal.
Oh ok thanks for the info!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:47 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
I recently accepted an offer at IBM, and I want to find decent apartments as close as I can to the company campus. So far I have looked at "Verano Luxury Apartments", "Village at Gracy Farms", "IMT @ The Domain", and "Residences at the Domain". Are these apartments located in a bad part of town? Are these good options or would you suggest something else?
Ask around at IBM for roommate situations, and look online.

If you are single, no pets, new job, the most cost effective and smartest way to get into "first digs" in a new city is a roommate situation in either a house or apartment.

It's way less initial out of pocket expense, way more flexible as you don't have to sign a long term lease, and it's a much lower monthly expense than trying to rent/live alone in an expensive city.

For example, a 3 bedroom house in the neighborhoods near Duval/Mopac rent for $1400-$1800. Split two or three ways each roommate pays anywhere from under $500/mo to $900/mo if splitting $1,800 two ways. Same with at the Domain in a Class A apartment split two or three ways makes it affordable for you.

Steve

Old 12-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Ask around at IBM for roommate situations, and look online.

If you are single, no pets, new job, the most cost effective and smartest way to get into "first digs" in a new city is a roommate situation in either a house or apartment.

It's way less initial out of pocket expense, way more flexible as you don't have to sign a long term lease, and it's a much lower monthly expense than trying to rent/live alone in an expensive city.

For example, a 3 bedroom house in the neighborhoods near Duval/Mopac rent for $1400-$1800. Split two or three ways each roommate pays anywhere from under $500/mo to $900/mo if splitting $1,800 two ways. Same with at the Domain in a Class A apartment split two or three ways makes it affordable for you.

Steve
Thanks, but I will be moving with my wife. I should still ask IBM though, you are right.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Thanks, but I will be moving with my wife. I should still ask IBM though, you are right.
Yeah, dragging the 'ol lady along changes things a bit.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:15 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Yeah, dragging the 'ol lady along changes things a bit.
I had 3 roommates when my fiance moved in as they covered my mortgage. I imagined we would all live together. Within 6 months all my roommates were gone.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 AM

22 posts, read 74,098 times
Quote:
I recently accepted an offer at IBM, and I want to find decent apartments as close as I can to the company campus. So far I have looked at "Verano Luxury Apartments", "Village at Gracy Farms", "IMT @ The Domain", and "Residences at the Domain". Are these apartments located in a bad part of town? Are these good options or would you suggest something else?
I've worked at IBM for roughly five years now and recently purchased a house near Kramer / Metric to be close to the office.. you'll hear plenty of folks tell you the area is suspect because of its proximity to Rundberg, but it's not as bad as people say. The "luxurious" apartments in the area would be around the Domain, but you'll pay a pretty penny for those. They get more affordable as you go back towards Metric because of ACC Northridge. There are also a multiple complexes off Duval, which isn't far from the office. Best advice I have is don't venture too far because the last thing you want to do is experience this town's awful traffic

Best of luck with your search

Old 12-19-2014, 03:14 PM

668 posts, read 783,341 times
Do you have kids, OP? If so, that will strongly influence things. The houses near Kramer/Metric area are inexpensive and convenient, (I lived there for 7 years) but the schools are terrible, so I wouldn't buy there if you have or are planning to have small children. If you DO have kids, the area around Mopac/Duval is a much better bet apartment and rental-house wise. Davis or Summitt Elementary are good bets.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Do you have kids, OP? If so, that will strongly influence things. The houses near Kramer/Metric area are inexpensive and convenient, (I lived there for 7 years) but the schools are terrible, so I wouldn't buy there if you have or are planning to have small children. If you DO have kids, the area around Mopac/Duval is a much better bet apartment and rental-house wise. Davis or Summitt Elementary are good bets.
No kids, just my wife and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: