Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro sports in austin?
Yes 17 30.36%
No 32 57.14%
If consider it depending on funding and sport 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:09 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times

Advertisements

Pro sports - especially pro football - is for places not fortunate enough to have top tier college football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Pro sports - especially pro football - is for places not fortunate enough to have top tier college football.
You may need to modify the definition of 'top tier college football' when talking about Austin

Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You may need to modify the definition of 'top tier college football' when talking about Austin
How do you want to rank it?

All time wins?

Quote:
1 Michigan 915
2 Texas 884
3 N Dame 882
4 Nebraska 881
5 Ohio State 863
6 Oklahoma 850
Valuation?

Quote:
The Texas Longhorns are still college football’s biggest cash cow, but the team’s lead on the rest of the field has shrunk this year. Texas is now worth $131 million, down 6% from a $139 million valuation last year. You might expect that struggles on the field have hurt the Longhorns’ income, but revenue was actually up year-over-year. The team collected $34 million from ticket sales for six home games plus another $31 million in football-related contributions; those two revenue streams comprised almost 60% of the team’s total revenue.
Texas may be down right now, but they will be back. Heck, Alabama was 6-7 and 7-6 in Nick Saban's first two years. And who wouldn't trade places with them right now?

So, yea -- UT is "top tier college football".

Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
How do you want to rank it?

All time wins?

Valuation?

Texas may be down right now, but they will be back. Heck, Alabama was 6-7 and 7-6 in Nick Saban's first two years. And who wouldn't trade places with them right now?

So, yea -- UT is "top tier college football".
Oh, don't get all horned up...but, do you really think folks care about all-time wins??? What have they done for you lately?

And an awful lot of folks would consider an embarrassingly large amount of money tied up in a SPORT while the cost of attending the host university soars into the stratosphere a negative, not a positive.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
And an awful lot of folks would consider an embarrassingly large amount of money tied up in a SPORT while the cost of attending the host university soars into the stratosphere a negative, not a positive.
Well, since UT is one of only seven schools in the country where the athletic department doesn't receive a penny in subsidies from the university nor from mandatory student fees, I don't really know what the point is. In fact, the Longhorn Network pays over $5M every year to the academic side.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
I'm sorry but UT is not a top tier college football team right now no matter how many lifetime wins they have or how much revenue they have. The Longhorn Network is still kind of a joke. ESPN can't be happy with what they get for their $15M per year.

I think the last ten years is far more important than the last 50.

UT will surely come back. But when? Michigan is in the ditch and has been for a while. Same with Tennessee. Miami hasn't been important for a while.

That revenues have stayed high is remarkable, though it is well known that attendance last season was down significantly. And they raised ticket prices significantly. Perhaps to help pay the buyouts for Mack Brown and Rick Barnes?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think the last ten years is far more important than the last 50.
Since you set the standard as the last ten years, please point to teams with better records than this over that period:

2005 13–0 National Champions
2006 10–3
2007 10–3
2008 12–1 BCS Bowl win
2009 13–1 Lost BCS National Championship Game
2010 5–7
2011 8–5
2012 9–4
2013 8–5
2014 6–7

Only teams that are in that "tier" are Alabama (3 Nat Championship games), Florida (3), Ohio State (3), Oregon (2), LSU (2) and Auburn (2). Seems like "top tier" to me, but what do I know.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,010 times
The bigger point that is lost when squabbling about Texas' record/near future is that they don't have to be a good team. There will still usually be one decent team playing in Austin even if Texas is horrible due to them being in the Big 12. Heck, I'm not a Texas or Iowa State fan, but I enjoyed watching their game last year.

More to the point of pro sports in a town where so many profess to be Texas fans every game should be a sellout even if they are awful, and yet at that game their were thousands of open seats not counting the seats taken up by the alumni band which performed at the half. If I am an NFL owner or potential NFL owner, I wouldn't want to locate a team here when their college team can't sell out a game with its massive fan base.

Fine with me as I am anti big league sports especially given the awful names Austin's minor league teams have.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,120 times
Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Well, since UT is one of only seven schools in the country where the athletic department doesn't receive a penny in subsidies from the university nor from mandatory student fees, I don't really know what the point is. In fact, the Longhorn Network pays over $5M every year to the academic side.
Yes, true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The bigger point that is lost when squabbling about Texas' record/near future is that they don't have to be a good team. There will still usually be one decent team playing in Austin even if Texas is horrible due to them being in the Big 12. Heck, I'm not a Texas or Iowa State fan, but I enjoyed watching their game last year.

More to the point of pro sports in a town where so many profess to be Texas fans every game should be a sellout even if they are awful, and yet at that game their were thousands of open seats not counting the seats taken up by the alumni band which performed at the half. If I am an NFL owner or potential NFL owner, I wouldn't want to locate a team here when their college team can't sell out a game with its massive fan base.

Fine with me as I am anti big league sports especially given the awful names Austin's minor league teams have.
Agree. I like the fact that Austin is NOT one of those cities that abase themselves by subsidizing some jerk's franchise with a publically funded stadium, etc. Let's hope they don't alter this longstanding rule by subsidizing a new UT basketball venue, either.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Since you set the standard as the last ten years, please point to teams with better records than this over that period:

2005 13–0 National Champions
2006 10–3
2007 10–3
2008 12–1 BCS Bowl win
2009 13–1 Lost BCS National Championship Game
2010 5–7
2011 8–5
2012 9–4
2013 8–5
2014 6–7

Only teams that are in that "tier" are Alabama (3 Nat Championship games), Florida (3), Ohio State (3), Oregon (2), LSU (2) and Auburn (2). Seems like "top tier" to me, but what do I know.
How about this - 2009 was the last good Texas team. In the last five years Texas hasn't scared anyone but its own fans. If they were playing top tier football now they wouldn't have a coach in his 2nd season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin