Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:37 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Meeting up with my daughters in Austin after the New Years. We want to go out for afternoon tea.

We like tasty sandwiches and sweet treats. Doesn't have to be a high class place like a 5 star hotel, but it can be if they do a great afternoon tea.

But can also be an English tea house where people take a lot of pride in their scones and tea service.

We only do this once a year, so don't want to waste our time on so so.

Where should we go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
I liked afternoon tea at The Four Seasons downtown. Very nice. Traditional tea

The Steeping Room offers tea but, of course, more causal-modern than a traditional English tea at one of the hotels. Tea Services in Austin, TX | The Steeping Room

Old 12-25-2014, 03:17 PM

48 posts, read 70,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
The Steeping Room offers tea but, of course, more causal-modern than a traditional English tea at one of the hotels. Tea Services in Austin, TX | The Steeping Room
Haven't been myself, but I've heard really nice things about this place. Their gluten free scones and toffee cookies are pretty good, apparently

Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times
Haven't been yet, but this could be a place you might want to look into...
[url=http://www.fullenglishfood.com/]Full English[/url]
And a list of places for "high tea" on Yelp...
[url=http://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-west/top-10-tea-rooms-in-texas]Top 10 Tearooms in Texas - Southern Living[/url]
The Eteeping Room is ok- they have the sandwiches, the tea, and large tasty (but often too dry) scones.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:23 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Without question, the Four Seasons has the best afternoon tea in Austin. I definitely recommend it.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Walton's Fancy & Staple on West 6th.
It has loads more charm than stuffy corporate Four Seasons.
And it's owned by Sandra Bullock.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:51 AM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Walton's Fancy & Staple on West 6th.
It has loads more charm than stuffy corporate Four Seasons.
And it's owned by Sandra Bullock.
Do they actually serve afternoon tea? I don't see any mention of it on their website and can't find any reference to it on the Internet.

And there's nothing stuffy about afternoon tea at the Four Seasons. It's the best traditional tea experience I've found here.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Do they actually serve afternoon tea? I don't see any mention of it on their website and can't find any reference to it on the Internet.

And there's nothing stuffy about afternoon tea at the Four Seasons. It's the best traditional tea experience I've found here.
My apologies. I misunderstood the question.
I did some research and I learned something.

I now realize that the concept of "afternoon tea" is what's stuffy.

Stay calm and carry on.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I love stuffy. Particularly when it involves attention to detail. Been to afternoon tea in several cities. It seems such a civilized way to enjoy tasty morsels and catch up on family gossip. Nice break in a day of sightseeing and shopping.

I wish Nordstrom's Bistros served afternoon tea.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:55 AM

104 posts, read 157,201 times
I agree that Four Seasons would be top choice, but I just remembered 1886 Bakery in the downtown historic Driskill Hotel. Atmosphere for sure.

I was reading a post on another site from a visitor who stayed there this week and loved the 1886 Bakery. They also have good reviews on another site. I ate there once, but it was many years ago. I vote the 1886 as my second choice. I also have a feeling, if you call ahead they would make some special tea sandwiches to go with their pastries.

My 3rd choice would be Chez Nous because of their awesome pastries and nice atmosphere for tea.

I love high tea, but unfortunately Austin has no English tea rooms. Went to Peachtree in Fredericksburg last week and loved it. No high tea, just great fresh food and charming venue/gift shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin