Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 47,954 times

Advertisements

I am not sure where you got your information, but the school is a licensed childcare facility in Austin and that since their home-based program years ago. Our daughter attended the school from its very first location in NW of Austin. Our experience there has been wonderful. The teachers, which are also the owners and the director, are passionate and committed to the achievement of their students. Their devotion and dedication to the students and families was incredible. My daughter came into the program a bit older and they worked with her for months, after school and free of charge. They implemented a working schedule to help her support her acquisition of the language in and outside of the classroom.

It is a small school with a very low student-teacher ratio. With their small number of student per class, if you withdraw your child before the end of the school year, it would be understandable that you are accountable for the school year tuition. Most of private schools would not refund tuition, and if I remember correctly , at ecole jean-jacques rousseau, they only ask for a termination fee and one or two months notice.

Sadly, we moved to another state after our third year attending the school. When we returned to Austin it was too late for my daughter to go back into French immersion.

I find it very interesting that you are being asked to post a review, something is not right... Why can't Austin97 do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM

13 posts, read 47,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discloser View Post
I wish I had read Eirencat's review before I wasted $25,000 on a school that mistreats children. The director has caused so much pain for so many families that it's unbelievable that they are still legally allowed to accept children. My own daughter told me she was slapped by the director twice and kicked by her father the Arabic teacher. She has also been punished repeatedly for not being able to focus and being tired even though I begged the director to give less homework. She told me to my face that she doesn't like American parents because we think we are supposed to have affectionate relationships with our children instead of raising capable citizens. There is so much more that I could say, but there is too much to go into here. The school,
Ecole Jean-Jaques Rousseau is being sued by multiple familes for a variety of offenses. My daughter, along with at least 6 other children (so far) were removed for being mistreated just from what my daughter witnessed, and the parents are having to fight to get their money back. I was told I could not get a refund because my money had been spent to pay the previous years debt because the school wasn't doing well.

Wholesome Generation hired an ex EJJR teacher who was also emotionally disturbed by the director's behavior , but with her 25 years experience as a native French teacher, in a warm and pleasant atmosphere, we are so happy! Several former EJJR students are now thriving in their new environment! We expect more to join soon.

The executive director of WG was so helpful and compassionate when I told her my story. She is a godsend! They are really great about giving you a variety of options to afford a spot for your children. I feel so blessed to have found this amazing educational community!

Lilian's mom
Is this a review of ecole jean-Jacques rousseau or a marketing campaign for the school Wholesome Generation and the ex-EJJR teacher. One can only wonder. We have attended this school since its very first location and our experience has been wonderful there. We have kept in touch with several parents from there and our children thrived socially and academically at the school. The philosophy of the school is not for everybody; the school pushes for strong academia and the director tells prospective parents at the first meeting. It is hard work but the results are undeniable. My daughter acquired a strong foundation that served her for many years.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:47 AM

668 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janki_ray View Post
I am not sure where you got your information, but the school is a licensed childcare facility in Austin and that since their home-based program years ago. Our daughter attended the school from its very first location in NW of Austin. Our experience there has been wonderful. The teachers, which are also the owners and the director, are passionate and committed to the achievement of their students. Their devotion and dedication to the students and families was incredible. My daughter came into the program a bit older and they worked with her for months, after school and free of charge. They implemented a working schedule to help her support her acquisition of the language in and outside of the classroom.
No, they are not accredited in the state of Texas as a licensed childcare facility or even a licensed family home. Search for yourself. Not accredited when my daughter attended and not accredited now. You can look this up on the State of Texas's childcare licensing web site. JJR is also not accredited for anything anywhere in France.

I am glad you had a wonderful experience; everyone else I knew in our daughter's year did not. They have all left the school for either the Austin International School or other schools. What was most interesting to me was that the actual Francophone families (Belgian and French families) were the first to leave. What remained were English-speaking families who I do not believe had an equivalent ability to tell what their children were learning. (My husband and I both speak fluent French.) We have also kept in touch with friends from our daughter's year and even the non-native Francophone children from her class have now also left.

We were asked to pay tuition for the NEXT year's attendance in January of the previous year. Everyone in our daughter's class was asked to do the same thing. We lost the NEXT year's tuition when we decided not to return after the end of the last horrible year there. When we sent our letter to the headmistress telling her we would not be returning, she did not even so much as acknowledge it or ask us why.

I don't know which teacher from JJR has gone to the Wholesome Generation and we don't attend there.

Last edited by eirenecat; 09-08-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
janki ray has *only* ever posted about this french immersion program since joining in 2011. Janki ray has had zero city-data activity since 2012 and then suddenly posts when french immersion school posts show up. Almost like they have a monitor for keywords..

Makes you wonder...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=24974740

Last edited by Austin97; 09-08-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
No, they are not accredited in the state of Texas as a licensed childcare facility or even a licensed family home. Search for yourself. Not accredited when my daughter attended and not accredited now. You can look this up on the State of Texas's childcare licensing web site. JJR is also not accredited for anything anywhere in France.

I am glad you had a wonderful experience; everyone else I knew in our daughter's year did not. They have all left the school for either the Austin International School or other schools. What was most interesting to me was that the actual Francophone families (Belgian and French families) were the first to leave. What remained were English-speaking families who I do not believe had an equivalent ability to tell what their children were learning. (My husband and I both speak fluent French.) We have also kept in touch with friends from our daughter's year and even the non-native Francophone children from her class have now also left.

We were asked to pay tuition for the NEXT year's attendance in January of the previous year. Everyone in our daughter's class was asked to do the same thing. We lost the NEXT year's tuition when we decided not to return after the end of the last horrible year there. When we sent our letter to the headmistress telling her we would not be returning, she did not even so much as acknowledge it or ask us why.

I don't know which teacher from JJR has gone to the Wholesome Generation and we don't attend there.
seems like they are licensed

https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_C...DC&fid=1092144

peration Details
You may click on the question mark image (FAQ) to view the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.

Operation Number: 1498470
Operation Type: Licensed Center
Program Provided: School Age Program
Operation/Caregiver Name: Ecole Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Location Address: 11607 N LAMAR BLVD
AUSTIN, TX 78753
Mailing Address: 11607 N LAMAR BLVD
AUSTIN, TX 78753
Phone Number: 512-964-7733
County: TRAVIS
Website Address:
Email Address:
Administrator/Director Name: Hind Louali
Type of Issuance:What is an Issuance? Full Permit
Issuance Date: 4/29/2013
Conditions on Permit:What is a Condition? No
Accepts Child-Care Subsidies:What is a Childcare Subsidy? Yes
Hours of Operation: 04:15 PM-05:30 PM
Days of Operation: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
Total Capacity: 34
Licensed to Serve Ages: Pre-Kindergarten, School
Total Capacity: 34
Number Of Admin Penalties: 0
Corrective Action:What is Corrective Action? No
Adverse Action:What is Adverse Action? No
Temporarily Closed: No

Old 09-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janki_ray View Post

It is a small school with a very low student-teacher ratio. With their small number of student per class, if you withdraw your child before the end of the school year, it would be understandable that you are accountable for the school year tuition. Most of private schools would not refund tuition, and if I remember correctly , at ecole jean-jacques rousseau, they only ask for a termination fee and one or two months notice.

Sadly, we moved to another state after our third year attending the school. When we returned to Austin it was too late for my daughter to go back into French immersion.

I find it very interesting that you are being asked to post a review, something is not right... Why can't Austin97 do it?
Because I dont know anything about the school. I was just suggesting if they disliked it so much they should post a negative review. Right now all the reviews are positive and a bit suspicious.

Personally I think french language instruction is pointless. It can hardly be used around the world and certainly not in international business.

My kids are getting spanish and chinese language instruction because those are two of the most widely spoken languages in the world.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:37 AM

668 posts, read 783,516 times
Interesting that they are licensed now, but only for an after-school program running a little over an hour a day 4 days a week. When we attended they ran an all-day entire week preschool as well as elementary/middle school, and they were not accredited when we left. Their address of record has changed. I searched this morning using the old zip code and they did not show up. They needed to be licensed (they were definitely out of what the state considers acceptable teacher:child ratios), so that is good.

Austin97, I agree that Spanish is more useful in Texas and Chinese is useful because it is a widely-used language. There is a large Francophone community in the world, though, and for French speakers, having the option to put your child in a school teaching in the language you speak at home is a real benefit. I will respectfully disagree with the idea that it is not used in international business--my French fluency has been an asset at three of the last software/engineering companies I worked at, particularly in dealing with Canadian clients and colleagues who prefer to use French, but also for Belgian clients. I have translated software interfaces, written documentation, and taken business calls.

I don't expect my children will spend their whole lives in Texas, for example. My Quebecoise grandmother (fluent in French, obviously) attended college in France. I would love it if my daughters had that same opportunity.

Honestly, learning ANY foreign language as a child is a real intellectual benefit.

Last edited by eirenecat; 09-08-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post

Austin97, I agree that Spanish is more useful in Texas and Chinese is useful because it is a widely-used language. There is a large Francophone community in the world, though, and for French speakers, having the option to put your child in a school teaching in the language you speak at home is a real benefit. I will respectfully disagree with the idea that it is not used in international business--my French fluency has been an asset at three of the last software/engineering companies I worked at, particularly in dealing with Canadian clients and colleagues who prefer to use French, but also for Belgian clients. I have translated software interfaces, written documentation, and taken business calls.
I didnt say it wasnt used, but that it is hardly used.

Most Widely Spoken Languages in the World
Language 1 Approx. number of speakers
1. Chinese 2 1,197,000,000
2. Spanish 414,000,000
3. English 335,000,000
4. Hindi 260,000,000

If you know chinese, spanish and english you can communicate with about 1/4 of the worlds population in their native tongue. More since many non native english speakers speak english too.

French adds about 1.5% of the worlds population.

Im not saying it is bad in any way, but not nearly as practical and more emotional of a decision (history, love of france, connection to family etc).

Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
janki ray has *only* ever posted about this french immersion program since joining in 2011. Janki ray has had zero city-data activity since 2012 and then suddenly posts when french immersion school posts show up. Almost like they have a monitor for keywords..

Makes you wonder...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=24974740
Did you not know that if you use "Thread Tools" at the top of a thread, you can request that you be notified by email anytime a new post is added to the thread. I do this often on topics that interest me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin