Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,488 times

Advertisements

Since it looks like the ban on patio smoking will likely pass, how about we revisit the idea of allowing the owners of certain bars to decide whether or not to allow smoking inside?

Austin might ban smoking on bar and restaurant patios | www.statesman.com

In my business model, the bar would be cooperatively owned. It would be a private club. The only "employees" would be the owners.

Here are a couple of bars that are cooperatively owned. These are different than mine in that they hire people to work there and they are smoke-free.

Black Star Co-op Pub & BreweryBlack Star Co-op

https://riverwestpublichouse.wordpress.com/membership/

I think it's a workable compromise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 AM

684 posts, read 812,058 times
I know back when i was in NJ they banned smoking everywhere, BUT you are allowed to smoke outside or in designated areas. To completely ban it all together is dumb, i am an ex smoker and as much as i hate the smell of smoke now , i feel its fair that everyone be treated fairly.

Hopefully they come to some kind of common sense terms.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Since it looks like the ban on patio smoking will likely pass, how about we revisit the idea of allowing the owners of certain bars to decide whether or not to allow smoking inside?

Austin might ban smoking on bar and restaurant patios | www.statesman.com

In my business model, the bar would be cooperatively owned. It would be a private club. The only "employees" would be the owners.

Here are a couple of bars that are cooperatively owned. These are different than mine in that they hire people to work there and they are smoke-free.

Black Star Co-op Pub & BreweryBlack Star Co-op

https://riverwestpublichouse.wordpress.com/membership/

I think it's a workable compromise.
You do realize this article is 2 years old, right?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
You do realize this article is 2 years old, right?
The issue is still on the table.

What do you think of my idea for a compromise, if this outdoor smoking ban passes?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The issue is still on the table.

What do you think of my idea for a compromise, if this outdoor smoking ban passes?
Are you asking if bars and restaurants have a coop model, they should be exempt from a ban?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Are you asking if bars and restaurants have a coop model, they should be exempt from a ban?
A cooperatively-owned bar that is a private club. In order to enter the bar you would have to be either one of the owners or a member. The only workers would be owners.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
I think we should go back to the admirable compromise that the City of Austin had before should be reinstated. If only the "we say we don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke but if that problem is solved we're still going to scream if anyone else gets to smoke anywhere in public" crowd will let it happen or the City Council will recognize their true motivation and reinstate something that was actually fair to everybody, customers, smoking employees, and owners alike.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think we should go back to the admirable compromise that the City of Austin had before should be reinstated. If only the "we say we don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke but if that problem is solved we're still going to scream if anyone else gets to smoke anywhere in public" crowd will let it happen or the City Council will recognize their true motivation and reinstate something that was actually fair to everybody, customers, smoking employees, and owners alike.
But doesn't that leave open the argument about protecting non-smoking employees?

Old 01-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Not really. That was a red herring used by the "don't let anybody do something I disapprove of anywhere in public even if I'm not exposed to it" crowd.

There are hundreds of no-smoking venues in Austin at which non-smoking employees can work. The compromise allowed employees who smoke (no, really, there are employees of bars who smoke? Who knew?), or who don't care if they are exposed to second-hand smoke, to have a a few places to work without feeling like second-class citizens. There was, after all, a big sign on the front door that stated that a smoking allowed establishment allowed smoking, so they weren't tricked into working there any more than customers were.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Apparently there is at least one cigar lounges in Austin. (Here's hoping posting this doesn't get them picketed for actually allowing customers to enjoy something.)

Diamond Crown Cigar Lounge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin