Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,725 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a new neighborhood and I continue to be drawn to the Northwoods area at 183 and Lakeline. I love Scott Felder homes. My brain tells me run don't walk from a neighborhood with a train running through it and an electrical recharge station you can see from every corner of the subdivision. The builders across the way are too big for us.

Plus the lots are tiny. Caballo Ranch is just too far out to get Felder.

Thoughts?

Also looking at Twin Creeks and Avery Ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 PM

318 posts, read 670,034 times
I don't believe the train has ever been an issue. It doesn't seem to blow a horn through the area, or at least not that I have heard.

I live in AR, but the Northwoods development is very appealing to me. We won't move because it's a hassle, but I don't think the train would turn me off in any way.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
We were interested in the Scott Felder homes in Northwoods about two years and $100,000 ago. We are in an Avery Ranch Townhome instead...pretty happy with the result...not perfect.

The original plan for the Felder homes in Northwoods was tiny lots, relatively small units and super energy efficient...starting in the low $200s ! I guess they went for one out of three From what I've seen, everything in Northwoods is selling as fast as they can build them...the Avery Ranch homes on the east side of the tracks have been there for almost 10 years now and turn over at about the same rate as homes farther away from the tracks, AFAIK.

Traffic at Twin Creeks would bug the heck out of me; but I come and go 2,3,4 times a day. A re-sale in Avery Ranch would be my first choice unless you need new and shiny. For new and shiny on itty-bitty lots, the Milestone development @ S. Bell Blvd/Little Elm(across Old 183/Bell from the YMCA) might be worth a look.

Northwoods is appropriately named, with many live oaks and cedar elms around...rather craggy looking in the winter; but fairly lush during the rest of the year(unlike the Milestone property I mentioned). That fairly dense growth may provide a visual and auditory buffer from the train(and somewhat from the sub-station).

Pretty sure you won't find any Scott Felder homes in Avery Ranch...if that's what I'm reading in your post.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 PM

We aren't stuck on Felder. Just really like them. We are concentrating on Twin a Creeks and Avery Ranch.

Funny you mention the traffic in TW. We live on the other side of 620 in Balcones and travel that way often. The traffic has never bothered me but Parmer kills me and that would be the AR drawback!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbajen View Post
We aren't stuck on Felder. Just really like them. We are concentrating on Twin a Creeks and Avery Ranch.

Funny you mention the traffic in TW. We live on the other side of 620 in Balcones and travel that way often. The traffic has never bothered me but Parmer kills me and that would be the AR drawback!
Parmer can be a real pain. I go from AR to MoPac a few times a week, but usually around lunch time, not morning or pm rush. Anderson Mill west of 183 just bugs me...a gazillion stop signs and school traffic...no way to avoid it..Anderson Mill and 620? Fuggetaboutit. There are times I can get on Parmer and go 60mph all the way to MoPac...OR jump on 183 and cruise...OR hit the toll road and fly like an eagle! Twin Creeks DOES put you very close to Shady Oaks Gun Range...a big plus for me

Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,069 times
We live near Twin Creeks in Westside Preserve and are currently looking to buy in TC. Traffic on Lakeline can be hell during commute time with the new HEB/Alamo etc at 183, but taking the back road to 620/2222 is easy if you need to go that way. We have looked in Avery Ranch a few times and but I definitely prefer this area of Cedar Park. My husband's commute to 183/Mopac is 20-25 minutes most days.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 PM

23 posts, read 111,039 times
Have you looked at the new section of Standard Pacific homes at Highland Horizon? (Great Oaks and 620)

Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Great Oaks/620 Standard Pacific

No I haven't. I'll take a look.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

I do wonder if ANYone is going with super-energy-efficient practices, given the 'build it and they will buy' market we have. We were attracted to Scott Felder two years ago specifically because of those building and materials interests. Seems they wouldn't have to 'bother' now and could just keep building the 'same old, same old'. Too bad.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM

109 posts, read 148,372 times
I live in an Apartment complex right off lakeline and I am not too far from this neighborhood. The trains do sound their horns (though they don't do it frequently) and where I live I can even hear the light rail pass by with that sick whining noise. That you hear every morning.

I also need to point out that my mom and dad currently live in Denton, TX. When they purchased their home there were railroad tracks that were about a mile from their house. Never saw a train on those tracks. However, in the last 5 years the traffic on that track is ridiculous to the point where they have to listen to it during the day and even during the night. So what you are seeing today might not be the case tomorrow. If I were you I'd run as far from the tracks as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin