Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:04 PM

51 posts, read 115,750 times

Advertisements

I weigh in that RE prices seem high and will probably drop if we go back into a recession or higher interest rates. (Just look at sky-high stock prices right now- we haven't had a significant correction for a few years. There will be a "correction" at some point, but it's hard to time.)

We bought a house in Austin in 2012- not totally happy with the house/ area, but we can make it work for now. If prices fall at some point in the next few years, I'd like to buy another house and rent out our current one. That's our plan. But, unlike the OP, we're not feeling any pressure either way to move or stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:23 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTexan76 View Post
I weigh in that RE prices seem high and will probably drop if we go back into a recession or higher interest rates. (Just look at sky-high stock prices right now- we haven't had a significant correction for a few years. There will be a "correction" at some point, but it's hard to time.)

We bought a house in Austin in 2012- not totally happy with the house/ area, but we can make it work for now. If prices fall at some point in the next few years, I'd like to buy another house and rent out our current one. That's our plan. But, unlike the OP, we're not feeling any pressure either way to move or stay.
The funny thing is, people always say that but then when the Buyer's Market comes, buyers are paralyzed with fear and uncertainty. There was no better time to buy in Austin recently than 2008-2011, yet buyers in that time frame would wring their hands and worry about paying too much.

Then the market turns and those same buyers, feeling consoled by the fact that everyone wants to buy now, pay WAY more on bid up homes than if they had taken advantage of the slack market.

There is a deep psychology and economic theory to all of this. I'm not a psychologist or economist, just an observer. But what I observe is that the happiest (emotionally) buyers are the ones who beat everyone out on multiple offers, paying $30K over value. Meanwhile, the poor buyer from 2010 who paid $300K for a home now worth $500k Central, was at the time, gripped with fear, remorse and uncertainty. Today he feels better of course. But at the time ...

Steve

Old 02-12-2015, 12:36 PM

51 posts, read 115,750 times
Totally agree with you Austin-Steve

I'm hoping that as I get older and more experienced, I can recognize good times to buy. e.g. I'm starting to diversify outside of stocks right now- hope to have the cahones to buy in when there's another correction. And, to not freak out and sell when an investment drops!

Old 02-12-2015, 01:21 PM

319 posts, read 610,158 times
Forget the fundamentals. Prices here, like everywhere, rise and fall with the national and international markets. Want cheaper homes? Wait for the next recession. The tail end of a recession is a good time to buy, like 2012, because prices are still cheap and you have confidence that you can afford them. We're past that point now. Prices don't need to fall btw, they just need to level and if your income rises significantly then affordability can increase substantially.

Given your requirements, I'd suggest Crestview to consider. Like others, I bought in 2012 and have made/saved fantastic amounts of money on my home but I also dislike it and the location. Schools are good but the house and neighborhood are not my style. If I could go back, then I'd opt for something simple, new, small, and cheap. One of those ultra-modern 2000sf condos would be perfect. Or a highly renovated bungalow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin