Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Okay, typical traffic on 3:30 PM on a typical Wednesday. Same link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3308.../data=!5m1!1e1

still fine.

Edit: And the claim was anytime, all day, not just weekday rush hours.
Look at I-35. My response: yeah right.

Garbage in, garbage out. Technology is only as good as the data it receives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Look at I-35. My response: yeah right.
What's wrong with I35? On a typical Wednesday at 3:30 PM, it's red from airport down through downtown. Seems right to me.

Quote:
Garbage in, garbage out. Technology is only as good as the data it receives.
Right, because nobody on I35 ever carries a smartphone. <sarcasm>

All the data says you're wrong. The data from TxDot and the data from google.

There's data, and then there's anecdotes. Your anecdotes are the contradicted by other anecdotes already in this thread.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowback View Post
A few options present themselves in situations like these:

1. Deal with it, since it's really not likely to change in any material fashion in your lifetime.

2. Don't move to Steiner if you need to drive, well - anywhere - during "commute" hours.

3. Pay astronomical prices to get 3 miles closer for the privledge of avoiding an intersection.

4. See #1
5. Elect some politicians who don't hate cars and will address the problem.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What's wrong with I35? On a typical Wednesday at 3:30 PM, it's red from airport down through downtown. Seems right to me.

Right, because nobody on I35 ever carries a smartphone. <sarcasm>

All the data says you're wrong. The data from TxDot and the data from google.

There's data, and then there's anecdotes. Your anecdotes are the contradicted by other anecdotes already in this thread.
When I looked (around 2:30PM ) it was green from airport to downtown. Sorry, I don't think I've ever seen that.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
When I looked (around 2:30PM ) it was green from airport to downtown. Sorry, I don't think I've ever seen that.
The map shows that for a _typical_ monday at 2:30 PM it's yellow/red from airport south through downtown.

Yesterday, it very well could have been green.

(at that same typical date/time, 620 is green/yellow).

Old 02-17-2015, 07:58 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
I dont know if anyone mentioned it yet or not, as this is a long thread and I dont have time to read it all tonight, but the answer to the traffic problems is:

PUBLIC TRANSIT
PUBLIC TRANSIT
PUBLIC TRANSIT

Period.

Yes, I know, "it's Texas" and everyone just has to have their personal private transportation machine (automobile/chariot/tank) and want to GRIPE on the internet about traffic.

But, I came from Chicago, and their El system is incredibly effective. Austin needs to build a light-rail, elevated train system that runs from the downtown area, out to many points in the city, which then snakes its way through various subdivisions, so that you do not have to walk very far to get to the station. Yes, I know its hot outside, but a little walking isnt that bad. Much better than sitting in traffic. You can still have your car, and yes, use it for things like groceries. But for every day commuting to the office, the better alternative is to use a public transit system. But of course, a good system has to be built first.

Another suggestion, on top of the train, is to use gold-standard BRT systems.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:22 PM

416 posts, read 588,530 times
Public transit's great and fine, but if the density and population isn't there to make laying the track or create the buslines worth it, it's just not going to fly. The larger Austin area isn't even really on a grid, which already makes the highways/tolls a pain in the arse to navigate. You can't go underground because of the subsoil, especially on the escarpment side; you can't go high because the rights of way are prohibitively expensive, as well as the enviromental and aesthetic impact... and never mind that the mindset of the powers-that-be just aren't into such things.

If you're interested...

Spoiler
I come from the Phoenix area, where they rammed a light rail system down the taxpayers' throats. It was going to bring a newness to downtown, bring new blood and new business! And it's going tie the valley together! And sports fans would take it allll the way across the valley (in some cases) and make the cities and the vendor(s) tons of money! And it'll draw people into not taking their cars into work! OMGLOLZERS it was going to be awesome!!!

NOPE. It's been a disaster, although stubborn proponents grin glassily and say it's just fine. It's not fine at all. Major law firms and businesses are fleeing downtown for the Biltmore area or Scottsdale because with the half-assed way the lines were implemented, you can't get into the plazas and buildings.

There was a thriving blue-collar and food and supply distribution district along Washington and Jefferson to the east of downtown Phoenix; now it's full of empty buildings and blight. You can't make left turns anywhere, so you can't get into businesses.

There's the line along Apache (Tempe) / Main (Mesa) - they pushed it through a struggling area and now have killed it; it was already dying with the loss of the high Mormon population that used to be around downtown Mesa and the Temple (younger generations moving northeast, south, and southeast, older generation dying off), and now it's populated with illegals, homeless, trash of all sorts, and abandoned buildings. I was appalled the last time I went through there about a year ago. Mesa's in deep trouble already and this isn't helping them at all.

The planners wanted to ram a line up through downtown Scottsdale via Rural Rd/Scottsdale Rd and that city said 'hell to the no.' They're wise. Only time will tell if they continue to resist.

The only one I maybe think has benefitted is ASU (main campus), but one has to decide if the snarled traffic and screwed up traffic flow is worth it. With Michael Crow's ridiculous empire building, they need a light rail system just to get around anymore.

The bus system in the valley? hahahaha Don't make me laugh.

Longtime residents here can correct me if my impressions are wrong, but it sounded like there was a faction that wanted to ram a crappy Phoenix-style light rail around and through the Austin area and it got shot down by the voters, and with good reason.

TEAL DEER: Austin is not Chicago, or New York, or L.A., not by any longshot. Ramming a system in what is already a monster cluster-eff will not help matters.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I dont know if anyone mentioned it yet or not, as this is a long thread and I dont have time to read it all tonight, but the answer to the traffic problems is:

PUBLIC TRANSIT
PUBLIC TRANSIT
PUBLIC TRANSIT

Period.

Yes, I know, "it's Texas" and everyone just has to have their personal private transportation machine (automobile/chariot/tank) and want to GRIPE on the internet about traffic.

But, I came from Chicago, and their El system is incredibly effective. Austin needs to build a light-rail, elevated train system that runs from the downtown area, out to many points in the city, which then snakes its way through various subdivisions, so that you do not have to walk very far to get to the station. Yes, I know its hot outside, but a little walking isnt that bad. Much better than sitting in traffic. You can still have your car, and yes, use it for things like groceries. But for every day commuting to the office, the better alternative is to use a public transit system. But of course, a good system has to be built first.

Another suggestion, on top of the train, is to use gold-standard BRT systems.
Voters clearly stated that they want nothing to do with rail. The proposal, which not perfect, would have laid the basis for a comprehensive system in Austin, was fully shot down. This, with no other proposal on the line. The argument against was "won't help traffic" but there was no proposal to actually help traffic. It was mainly the same people that oppose any progress in this so called progressive town.

Now, as a consequence, everyone in Austin will face the consequences of that action. Everyone must now live with increased traffic and no solutions. Already, work-life balance is affected and studies are showing that Austin is in the top 5 unhappiest cities to live in. No doubt lack of good transportation was a factor.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Because a nine mile rail system downtown would have done so much for traffic on 620.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Because a nine mile rail system downtown would have done so much for traffic on 620.
Cute. Did you know when the first subway went into NYC many people were complaining it would be underused as well? Look at history of NYC subways. We should plan for the future not the present.

A nine mile line downtown to Highland Mall crosses 2222 (Koenig). It would then be easy to have a line from 2222 to 620 from that point. Baby steps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin