Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,620 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a pretty crazy southwest roadtrip from Austin in April. I'm stuck picking the first leg...should I go through West Texas to Las Cruces or drive up through Brownwood (near Lubbock) to Ruidoso?

I'm still planning on hitting the same places (White Sands, Lincoln) but I'm worried about travel time and traffic. Logic tells me I-10 instead of the 2 lane roads in northwest Texas but I need some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:37 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goexploretexas View Post
I'm planning a pretty crazy southwest roadtrip from Austin in April. I'm stuck picking the first leg...should I go through West Texas to Las Cruces or drive up through Brownwood (near Lubbock) to Ruidoso?

I'm still planning on hitting the same places (White Sands, Lincoln) but I'm worried about travel time and traffic. Logic tells me I-10 instead of the 2 lane roads in northwest Texas but I need some advice.
I-10 doesn't qualify as a "road trip" because it mostly soulless Interstate until you veer north. Through Brownwood will be a better "road trip" route. Or out Hwy 71 to 87.

Steve

Old 02-13-2015, 07:02 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,289 times
People who say that I-10 is soulless - have you actually driven it? There are very pretty portions alongside of I-10 - The whole drive up to Van Horn is pretty (well, the portion around Ft Stockton is not).

Anyways, take I-90 instead, get down to Big Bend, stay there for a few days - it is THE southwest Texas experience. Then drive up to Alpine and Ft Davis (make sure you tour the actual fort in Ft Davis!), drive to Balmorhea and visit the pool - it should be fun in the whole area for a few days (ft Davis state park was re-done last year so more trails and you can camp there too). Afterwards hop on to El Paso - spend some time in the Franklin Mtns there - El Paso is a fun city with mountains right in the middle of it. Then drive up to Las Cruces but stop by in Mesilla, NM for a visit (Las Cruces is a bit boring to me but you can hike in the Organ Mtns right outside of it). After Las Cruces, make sure you go up to TorC and west to Hillsboro and down to Silver City (via the scenic route) and after spending some time in the Gila Natl Forest come back through TorC and drive down into Lincoln.... Depending on how much time you have - make sure you visit the usual suspects like ABQ, Santa Fe, Taos etc...

Old 02-13-2015, 09:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,157,966 times
I've driven from Austin to Ruidoso many times and always found the route shown on GOOGLE MAPS to be the quickest/shortest. Austin, LLano, Brady, San Angelo, Big Spring, Brownfield, Roswell, Ruidoso. There is about equal measure 2-lane and 4-lane, but no interstate.

From N. Austin (Round Rock/Georgetown) the alternate route shown on GOOGLE is about the same via Lampasas, Brownwood, Sweetwater, Snyder etc.

I find the former more scenic than the latter - but that's personal preference.

An afterthought: When I lived in San Antonio the most direct route was IH-10 to Ft. Stockton, then US-285 to Pecos, Carlsbad, Artesia, Roswell. Much less scenic than the two routes from Austin, IMO.

Last edited by joqua; 02-13-2015 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 08:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goexploretexas View Post

I suggest you go through Alpine, the Davis Mountains and Carlsbad if you are sightseeing. You should have no traffic worries anywhere in west Texas, even on the two lane roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin