Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are Canadians looking to spend the winter (6 months) in Austin from around Oct-April and we're hoping the friendly people of the Austin city-data forum could give us some advice! We're in our late 20s.

We're going to need a short-term, furnished rental for 6 months and we won't be working during this time, so the main thing that matters in terms of area is somewhere safe that's in a decent area. We'll have a car and don't need to commute, of course.

1. What's a reasonable monthly budget to find a furnished, 6-month rental in a decent 1 bedroom apartment? We're hoping on $1000-$1500, with that hopefully including utilities/internet on the high end.

2. What areas would you recommend?

3. Where can we look to find something? Is there anything Austin-specific that's not AirBNB or VRBO?

Thanks a lot for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 09:09 PM

77 posts, read 77,758 times
riata Apartment community in NW Austin?
Apartment For Rent in Austin TX | Riata

Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_puggel View Post
My girlfriend and I are Canadians looking to spend the winter (6 months) in Austin from around Oct-April and we're hoping the friendly people of the Austin city-data forum could give us some advice! We're in our late 20s.

We're going to need a short-term, furnished rental for 6 months and we won't be working during this time, so the main thing that matters in terms of area is somewhere safe that's in a decent area. We'll have a car and don't need to commute, of course.

1. What's a reasonable monthly budget to find a furnished, 6-month rental in a decent 1 bedroom apartment? We're hoping on $1000-$1500, with that hopefully including utilities/internet on the high end.

2. What areas would you recommend?

3. Where can we look to find something? Is there anything Austin-specific that's not AirBNB or VRBO?

Thanks a lot for any advice!
CWS corporate housing sets up things like this.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:18 PM

105 posts, read 219,383 times
Check out HomeAway. It is headquartered in Austin. $1500 / month is doable as long as you temper your expectations on amenities. We are currently staying in a house we found on HomeAway for 2 months while we renovate our home. It came fully furnished and includes internet and all utilities. HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More

Old 03-10-2015, 10:42 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
You may want to live on the Eastside. There is a popular strip called Manor Rd. and on the strip are Haymaker and School House Pub two neighborhood bars that serve Poutine!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
You may want to live on the Eastside. There is a popular strip called Manor Rd. and on the strip are Haymaker and School House Pub two neighborhood bars that serve Poutine!
Popular strip? I guess this is part of the gentrification of East Austin, but this is the first time in 38 years of living here that I've every heard the words "popular strip" and "Manor Rd" used in the same sentence. I used to live further East on Manor Rd. and I still consider it one of the least desirable places to live in Austin. The areas closest in to downtown and the University are gentrifying, but I still recommend the OP examine the area carefully before deciding to live there.

I doubt that furnished 6 month rentals with all utilities included are readily available in Austin, given the current shortage of apartments and the on going demand for housing.

The OP's best bet would be to find an apartment locator service to assist them. They provide assistance free of charge to the tenant.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Popular strip? I guess this is part of the gentrification of East Austin, but this is the first time in 38 years of living here that I've every heard the words "popular strip" and "Manor Rd" used in the same sentence. I used to live further East on Manor Rd. and I still consider it one of the least desirable places to live in Austin. The areas closest in to downtown and the University are gentrifying, but I still recommend the OP examine the area carefully before deciding to live there.

I doubt that furnished 6 month rentals with all utilities included are readily available in Austin, given the current shortage of apartments and the on going demand for housing.

The OP's best bet would be to find an apartment locator service to assist them. They provide assistance free of charge to the tenant.
You mean this Manor Rd in 2013?

Culture Map Austin: Booming restaurant row offers enticing mix of classics, upstarts

Or this Manor Rd in 2014?

Austin Post: East Manor Rd transforms into Nightlife Destination

By the way, the OP never said they were white or that it mattered what the ethnic mix was. Did you think because they were Canadian that they had to be?

Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
You mean this Manor Rd in 2013?

Culture Map Austin: Booming restaurant row offers enticing mix of classics, upstarts

Or this Manor Rd in 2014?

Austin Post: East Manor Rd transforms into Nightlife Destination

By the way, the OP never said they were white or that it mattered what the ethnic mix was. Did you think because they were Canadian that they had to be?
As I said, "Popular strip? I guess this is part of the gentrification of East Austin...".

My comments have nothing to do with race.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 PM

847 posts, read 766,825 times
If you want a corporate Apartment of 1 bedroom furnished. I think 1500 is probably a little low.
I would be guessing something like 1800.

They generally charge 2x (say unfurnished apartment is going to cost 800 they will charge you 1600). there are some close to those apartments ACC North Ridge that provide furnished apartments.

I would suggest trying considering renting the apartment your self and use furniture rental companies. They will bring you the stuff and take it away. I believe for one bedroom they charge around 400 dollars as starting price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: