Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 01:31 PM

26 posts, read 30,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That makes no sense. If it is in Austin city limits, some of which is in Williamson CO. then they should service your area.

Sounds to me like it is NOT inside of the Austin city limits.

If you are not in a city or township that has zoning regulations, there is probably nothing that can be done about it. As best I can tell looking at Google Maps that pocket is not in any city limits. https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...a3f97f2a84794a You can try talking to Williamson County about it.

Austin's watershed protection ordinance for its ETJ might still apply outside of the City so you could try talking to them about how the vehicle traffic has destroyed the ground cover, resulting in excessive run off.
It's Austin but technically unincorporated. Sometimes Google will refer to it as Round Rock but as far as I know is definitely in Austin in WillCo. I'll try with the county next.

What is ETJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 01:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction...usually land adjacent to a municipality, often on the radar to be annexed by the city eventually. Some overlap of services...wait...I'll let the experts explain:

Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) - What is it? | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

The ETJ is the unincorporated land within five miles of Austin’s boundary that is not within the city limits or ETJ of another city. It is the territory where Austin alone is authorized to annex land.
The ETJ enables the City to extend regulations to adjacent land where development can affect quality of life within the city. ETJ regulations also help to ensure that subdivisions that may be annexed by Austin in the future meet minimum standards for road access, lot size, and other factors.
No City taxes are collected in the ETJ. Services such as public safety, road maintenance, and parks are provided by the County or special districts. Residents in Austin’s ETJ may vote on City referenda which impact ETJ residents.
Land subdivision in the Austin ETJ in Travis County is regulated jointly by the City of Austin and Travis County in accordance with Title 30 of the Austin City Code. Land subdivision in the Austin ETJ in Hays and Williamson Counties is regulated exclusively by the City of Austin. For more information about land development, call the Development Assistance Center at (512) 974-6370.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Ha! My kind of down-home neighborhood. There's tightly zoned neighborhoods and then there's live and let live. Looks like the latter. You could build a privacy fence. If there is no zoning or permits in this area that will help on the cost.

Don in Austin
I'm growing bushes up front but the worst part is looking through where my driveway area is. That's across from all that so it's like you want to put your blinders on. Maybe I can build an arch over it.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
No City taxes are collected in the ETJ. Services such as public safety, road maintenance, and parks are provided by the County or special districts. Residents in Austin’s ETJ may vote on City referenda which impact ETJ residents.
I'm paying taxes - can you clarify that? I think that info must be out of date or not meant for where this house is. I can see 45 toll road's lights from my yard. This isn't like the middle of nowhere.

In fact every one seems to refer to it being "between a rock and a hard place" (get the joke?) - when it's probably right in the middle of anything anyone would want to live by. HEB, Target, Walmart and every restaurant and bank, 35, 45 and 1 highways, etc...is practically walking distance.

I read an archived article over 10 years old last weekend about how everyone was fighting over the land, who wanted to annex it, who wanted to provide utilities, but yea now...it's all high end development (La Frontera) and $250,000+ homes going up along 1325/Shoreline/Quick Hill. I moved in last July and have felt it to be the most convenient place to live while seeing the value rise since I bought it.

Now if these neighbors didn't have all the junk just laying out there, I'd love it even more.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDANBOT View Post
I'm paying taxes - can you clarify that? I think that info must be out of date or not meant for where this house is. I can see 45 toll road's lights from my yard. This isn't like the middle of nowhere.

In fact every one seems to refer to it being "between a rock and a hard place" (get the joke?) - when it's probably right in the middle of anything anyone would want to live by. HEB, Target, Walmart and every restaurant and bank, 35, 45 and 1 highways, etc...is practically walking distance.

I read an archived article over 10 years old last weekend about how everyone was fighting over the land, who wanted to annex it, who wanted to provide utilities, but yea now...it's all high end development (La Frontera) and $250,000+ homes going up along 1325/Shoreline/Quick Hill. I moved in last July and have felt it to be the most convenient place to live while seeing the value rise since I bought it.

Now if these neighbors didn't have all the junk just laying out there, I'd love it even more.
Give it time. You will eventually be annexed and that will be a "green light" to those buyers that want city services. At the same time though your taxes will soar.

It's just an eyesore so I'd hold out til the time was ripe for selling.

I lived out in the county and my property was never considered "desirable" until the EJT line was across the street from me and that's when the For Sale sign went up and the bidding wars started.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
I reckon you pay taxes to some folks, just not to the City of Austin. If you can pull up a current city boundaries map, you will see how that area you are in, along with stretches of 620 like Highland Horizon are part of a zig zaggy puzzle between Austin and Round Rock. I don't know what has stopped or what will trigger the annexation of your particular neighborhood....may NEVER happen, I suppose. Are you paying taxes to a MUD?

Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
TCEQ would love to hear about it if there is enough runoff OR if there is haz mat being spilled.

You could ask WilCo for a drive by...since it does look like a dump.
Environmental Law Enforcement
Thanks for the link. Hopefully I'll hear from them.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I reckon you pay taxes to some folks, just not to the City of Austin. If you can pull up a current city boundaries map, you will see how that area you are in, along with stretches of 620 like Highland Horizon are part of a zig zaggy puzzle between Austin and Round Rock. I don't know what has stopped or what will trigger the annexation of your particular neighborhood....may NEVER happen, I suppose. Are you paying taxes to a MUD?

Wmsn ESD #9
Williamson CO
Aus Comm Coll
Wmsn CO FM/RD
Round Rock ISD
Upper Brushy Cr WC&ID #1A

I'm trying to figure out what a MUD is...

Old 04-05-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Well, you will be stuck most likely relying on state level requirements (counties have almost none of their own, typically).
- Storm water might apply, it depends on the SIC code, which my best guess would be 0782. If that is correct, than the site is not required to maintain a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP); however, if you see a sheen of oil or other contaminants coming off the property when it rains, I would call the TCEQ to report it. The TCEQ will investigate and may find there is nothing amiss, but you will at least get their eyes on it. If there is an environmental problem, they will be better able to assess it.
- Hazardous Waste rules might apply if they are changing oil for the equipment and not disposing of it promptly/properly. Honestly, they will not likely be in violation, but they should be keeping at least minimal records of how they handle/dispose of used oil (if they are handling it at all.

From a visual aspect, that is the other side of living in a county - you can make your property pretty seedy looking if you want.
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDANBOT View Post
Wmsn ESD #9
Williamson CO
Aus Comm Coll
Wmsn CO FM/RD
Round Rock ISD
Upper Brushy Cr WC&ID #1A

I'm trying to figure out what a MUD is...
You are in the county..Williamson county.
Call the county and talk to them about your issues and see what they advise.

A MUD is who provides your water and sewer utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin