Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,285 times

Advertisements

A former New Yorker, I am currently living in the Dallas metroplex area. An interesting position has caught my eye in San Marcos, nearer to Austin. Have been in Texas just about 2 years now. What diffferences would there be or any thing else people from that area can tell me about it. I am a single professional in my 30s, no kids. I've read that it is a college town, I'd prefer not to rent too close to campus then, and names of neighborhoods/streets/areas of town you could recommend would be helpful. What types of nature actitivites or hiking trails do you enjoy. If I lived in Austin and worked in San Marcos would that be a reverse commute and be easier? Any description of San Marcos you can offer is welcomed. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 07:48 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,853 times
I live in Austin and my dad lives in San Marcos. A reverse commute is doable so long as you live either in South Austin with access to I-35 South of 290 (otherwise you'll get caught up in Austin rush hour traffic) or SW Austin near FM 1826 or SH 45, the current and soon-to-be future 'back way' to San Marcos - a slightly longer but much prettier drive.

It's definitely going to be a change from Dallas to San Marcos. For a small-ish college town it's pretty nice, but it doesn't compare to a major city in my admittedly limited experience. There is some good BBQ and very good shopping at the outlets - I guess it depends what you like to do in your spare time!

I don't know the neighborhoods down there well enough to recommend one, but others here probably will.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:36 AM

44 posts, read 62,762 times
If you are an active outdoorsman you would love San Marcos.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,285 times
Not an outdoors "man" but love hiking and fishing, being out in nature. I like small town feeling and if I need to do any shopping it sounds all good. Thank you for your time.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:31 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Several wildlife type parks with trails, since I live on acreage I don't really use those facilities so its hard to provide specifics. Overall San Marcos is pretty laid back town, and the "professional" group is not that large, but growing. There is nice housing scattered around the community so there is no nice areas per say, lots of newer and really nice looking apartments in the works. Come visit, decide if its what you want.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
You might consider living 15 mi. W of town in the small town of Wimberley. Google it and take a look around.

Last edited by scm53; 03-23-2015 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 12:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I have not lived in San Marcos, but I did spend some time there renovating one of the classroom buildings. The University if the largest entity there so it does determine a lot of the flavor of the community. Obviously its presence does mean there will be a lot of teaching professionals of every flavor in the area. The river and Aquarena Center is a real gem. Glass-Bottom Boats : The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment : Texas State University This data page, which includes photos, might help you get the flavor of the community http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Marcos-Texas.html

San Marcos has several advantages due to its location in the edge of the Hill Country. Wimberley is a very nice rural community with a lot of artists and shops. It hosts Juried Art Show, Wimberley Arts Fest at Blue Hole Wimberley, TX Home and this Market Days and Farmers Markets - Wimberley Market Days, Gruene Market Days, Farmers Markets in Austin, Wimberley, Texas and Market Day Maps and Information

Gruene Texas nearby has lots of attractions including its own market days and others described here. http://www.city-data.com/forum/20303339-post2.html That post describes a drive, part of which follows the River Road from Canyon Lake to Gruene & New Braunfels. It is very scenic and there are numerous river outfitters along it that accomodate the popular tubing and rafting groups that are attracted to the river during warmer weather. During higher water there are several campgrounds and canoeing, river rafting outfitters upstream from Canyon Lake as well.

Another community very close by is Driftwood which as a unique BBQ restaurant that is just dripping with Texas charm. Driftwood It also hosts Old Settler's Music Festival | Austin, Texas | April 16-19, 2015 at Camp Ben McCulloch and a Wine Food and Arts Festival Welcome - Dripping With Taste Wine & Food Festival 2014

You could also choose to live in Buda or Kyle which would give you easier access to Austin as well as all of the attractions described above.

If you look lower on this page you will find links to several other threads discussing San Marcos.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM

515 posts, read 558,317 times
I would recommend you check out the lots off of Hilliard Dr. if you want real hill country feel and close to San Marcos proper, if you are buying. If looking to rent, those apartments along Post Rd. are good. That is my favorite area of central Texas.
I made the commute from south Austin to S.M. for years and would have moved there myself, only the pay for an Electrical Engineer was lower and the jobs fewer. The professional field is small but growing as someone mentioned. That should change as San Marcos is now the fastest growing city in America. If you want a real small town in the hill country, then Wimberly would be perfect. I may retire there someday, but for now, I just moved to Grapevine (near the lake). It feels like a Wimberly in DFW, only cheaper and with a pretty lake.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM

44 posts, read 62,762 times
May as well check out New Braunfels where I am currently living. Its about 15 min south of San Marcos and has a much more small town feel to it. Being almost exactly half way between Austin and San Antonio has some pretty cool advantages when it comes to events etc.. Gruene is basically a subdivision and I have seen some awesome shows there. On a side note, since you are an outdoors person, the fishing here is far superior to S.M.. Just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin