Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:33 PM

96 posts, read 127,528 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I will be moving to austin from NY. Please help me to select best location for me and my family. I have one going to elementary and other middle school. Me and my husband work in IT. We want best schools and proximity to IT jobs (if possible indian community). My husband is working from home right now but will search local job after moving. My skills are in .Net C# SQL etc so I will be searching job after I settle down in new place. Please suggest best location for us. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:42 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Do a search. And also provide your rental budget (or home buying budget).

There are Lots & lots of threads on where the majority of tech jobs are located & where many Indian families are moving. Hopefully others will chime in with where the jobs are located given your resume.

(A possible area to look would be NW Austin.)

Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 PM

Thanks hound109. My skills are .Net C# SQL web development etc. My budget is flexible right now. I want good neighbourhood with possibly all amenities like swimming pool, park. I have heard about Austin traffick so don't want to buy house and then commute every day to work. Is there any possibility to find job in NW Austin?

Some friends suggested my Circle C area. Can I get job near Circle C? How are schools there?

Last edited by nylady123; 03-31-2015 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 02:45 PM

198 posts, read 318,455 times
You should have a job lined up before moving here. Austin is not a friendly transplant city when it comes to the job market. They want you to have "Austin" experience before considering you for a job. I suggest you start working with recruiters and networking. Target the companies you want to work with and go from there. You could try contracting for a bit, but be careful of getting into contractor hell. After 6 months of contract work, you could be considered "unemployable" in Austin.

Also, do you need H1B Visa sponsorship? That could also be a barrier with the large number of startups here.

Based on what you would like with your surrounding demographic...Cedar Park/Avery Ranch is a location you are going to want to look at.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:07 PM

Thanks Austin Dude. I don't need H1B sponsership. I have GC and 15 plus years strong experience. I can find job before moving but it could become hectic for me to settle kids in new schools, new place, new house and other moving related work. I have been working without break for years so wanted to take little easy. But will start looking for job after I resign in current job.

Does cedar park has allergies? We don't have allergies so far but just to be careful.Thanks for suggestions.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:33 AM

320 posts, read 486,943 times
Commute will be your biggest issue. Unless you can afford to wait for the perfect job within a reasonable commute of the place you chose to live, you should probably secure a job first and then choose where to live. Tech jobs are North and South. But if you live in one area and have to commute to the other, you will be in traffic for 1 hr each way.

If you have to choose housing/schools first, I'd probably say NW.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,575 times
Round Rock.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:45 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Austin is one of the worst cities for allergies. Yes, allergens abound!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylady123 View Post

Does cedar park has allergies? We don't have allergies so far but just to be careful.Thanks for suggestions.
Read the pinned sticky thread at the top of this board to learn about Austin's terrible allergies (and all of central TX) ... there are a lot of other helpful threads in there for people considering Austin as well.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:53 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylady123 View Post
Thanks hound109. My skills are .Net C# SQL web development etc. My budget is flexible right now. I want good neighbourhood with possibly all amenities like swimming pool, park. I have heard about Austin traffick so don't want to buy house and then commute every day to work. Is there any possibility to find job in NW Austin?

Some friends suggested my Circle C area. Can I get job near Circle C? How are schools there?
You probably would benefit from coming for a visit first. You will need to commute to work here, there is not population density or public transportation that is good enough to avoid commuting to any of the technology employers. If you are coming from NYC it will be very important to get a good understanding of the HUGE change in culture, lifestyle, and necessity to commute before you arrive here.

Even with 15 years of experience you will be entering a very competitive job market in the tech sector here. Many young graduates and a huge number of tech people relocating from other areas - primarily California. I highly recommend that you visit, find a job, then identify where to live based on the location of the job, and then bring the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: