Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppguoppguo View Post
I did a rough calculation. Our existing impervious cover is reaching the limit of 45%. So we will have to give up this idea but just replace the lawn. The landscaper recommends Celebration Bermuda.
You will love Celebration. It is vastly superior to most of the other hybrid Bermudas. Tight, dense with a nice blue green color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
^ What he said

And where would all the water go if everything is solid surface? There are some neat paver solutions out there to mix things up while still being compliant.
That is the reason there are impervious cover restrictions here. We often have rainfalls of such high intensity, if development was allowed to cover the land with too many pervious surface it would result in far worse run off and flooding events than what we already have. So now developments are now required to limit impervious cover and install detention ponds to help hold back that deluge of run off that our waterways would otherwise be faced with handling. Having been involved with numerous developments I can say that there are no paver solutions out there that significantly decrease the amount of run off in a heavy rain. So you fill find few reductions being allowed or accepted by the City in the impervious cover calculations.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:27 PM

668 posts, read 783,516 times
How does Celebration do with some shade and/or kid and dog traffic? I am interesting in replacing the shaggy half-dead St Augustine in our backyard with something else.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 9,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You will love Celebration. It is vastly superior to most of the other hybrid Bermudas. Tight, dense with a nice blue green color.
Great to hear that!

Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 9,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
How does Celebration do with some shade and/or kid and dog traffic? I am interesting in replacing the shaggy half-dead St Augustine in our backyard with something else.
We used to have St. Augustine, which obviously cannot stand the heavy traffic of our two-year old big dog. Celebration is usually used for golf ground or sports field. So I expect it to do better than St Augustine. I read something on the website that it can tolerate some shade, better than other Bermuda.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppguoppguo View Post
We used to have St. Augustine, which obviously cannot stand the heavy traffic of our two-year old big dog. Celebration is usually used for golf ground or sports field. So I expect it to do better than St Augustine. I read something on the website that it can tolerate some shade, better than other Bermuda.
Keep in mind that you can eliminate a lot of the grass, putting in large beds of bark mulch, pea gravel, decomposed granite, and a few drought tolerant plants, etc. that do not need water and will hold up much better for your current uses. Those are all considered pervious cover, no permit needed.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:15 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
You would be better off with Palisades Zoysia. It is much more shade tolerant than any Bermuda. And Palisades has the advantage of being fairly wide bladed so it will blend well with any St Auguatine you have. Also very drought tolerant.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:14 AM

9 posts, read 44,133 times
I beg to differ. Decomposed/crushed granite is pervious. That is, it does not impact drainage of rain water. It gets hard, but passes water. Look it up. In San antonio some landscapers are afraid to use it.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipton306 View Post
I beg to differ. Decomposed/crushed granite is pervious. That is, it does not impact drainage of rain water. It gets hard, but passes water. Look it up. In San antonio some landscapers are afraid to use it.

I'm not sure which post you are responding to. My post said it is pervious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Keep in mind that you can eliminate a lot of the grass, putting in large beds of bark mulch, pea gravel, decomposed granite, and a few drought tolerant plants, etc. that do not need water and will hold up much better for your current uses. Those are all considered pervious cover, no permit needed.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Decomposed granite, though, does not work well where there is flowing water though. It washes away fairly readily. Placed in some 'containment' (flower bed or other area with a border) it does quite nicely. Not great to walk on in bare feet, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin