U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,189,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
I think the rendering above (with the bowstring truss pedestrian bridge) presents a very romanticized vision of Shoal Creek. It could happen if they built a dam/spillway where it meets Town Lake. That would be pretty stellar.
Uh, no. That's the new second street bridge

Building ATX Check Out The New 2nd Street Bridge Over Shoal Creek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:16 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,726,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I actually think that part of downtown may turn into one of the best spots in Austin, though it does seem landlocked pretty badly, so I expect a major traffic snarl in there.
This. And that is on top of the 1.4M sq. ft. planned for the Waller Park Place project. I understand this isn't suburban lifestyle, but please don't insult my intelligence and tell me there won't be an increase in congestion in an area that hasn't increased roadway capacity in twenty years or more.

And especially since the city council is oh-so-concerned about SOME development related traffic increases ....

Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 AM

2,959 posts, read 2,112,043 times
I think it's a cool looking building. The thing about Austin'downtown skyline is the new skyscrapers are residential buildings instead of corpote buildings. With the exception of the new hotels. I think the Frost Bank building is the last corporate building to be built in downtwn Austin. I don't know if thats the current trend thru out the country or if thats something that is unique to Austin

Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,726,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
With the exception of the new hotels. I think the Frost Bank building is the last corporate building to be built in downtwn Austin.
Colorado Tower

IBC Bank Plaza

Old 04-14-2015, 10:46 AM

2,959 posts, read 2,112,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Ok, you're right. I was mistaken. So, 2 corporate high rises went up in dt Austin since Frost Bank. How many residential high rises have been built since Frost Bank ?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:49 AM

202 posts, read 211,836 times
gives me the creeps, the design of the buildings/insides and more of austin's skyline is starting to look like one of those scary futuristic city movies...

like the movie looper

walking downtown in between the office buildings when no one is around reminds you of those zombie movies...

Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 AM

438 posts, read 356,475 times
I am very glad I was able to go to the last zombie ball at the power plant there a few years ago. I will always have that memory and for that I am thankful. I wish they had done something else with the building, something that could have benefited the hike and bike trail maybe, but there was always more money to be made in a condo so this was inevitable. I believe eventually the dog shelter near there will be "relocated" in time and that valuable piece of property will be turned into something similar. Real estate down there is too valuable to let anything else happen.

I knew a "high rise" was going to happen at some point. I thought I would get angry, maybe rant when it it did happen but I was surprised when I heard and merely shrugged my shoulders about it.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,045,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
I am very glad I was able to go to the last zombie ball at the power plant there a few years ago. I will always have that memory and for that I am thankful. I wish they had done something else with the building, something that could have benefited the hike and bike trail maybe, but there was always more money to be made in a condo so this was inevitable. I believe eventually the dog shelter near there will be "relocated" in time and that valuable piece of property will be turned into something similar. Real estate down there is too valuable to let anything else happen.

I knew a "high rise" was going to happen at some point. I thought I would get angry, maybe rant when it it did happen but I was surprised when I heard and merely shrugged my shoulders about it.
I don't think so. That entire parcel is in the flood zone and can't be developed. That land acts a very important sponge, even if development was allowed, it would take serious cash to ensure that no more runoff than what occurs now enters the watershed. Once the retention area was done there would be very little land left to develop.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,846,092 times
That building is not attractive at all. It looks like a stacked boxes.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:38 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,469,466 times
Yes, I think that building is ugly, especially for a new "tallest" in the skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or