U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,934 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

My fiancé and I have an opportunity to move to texas and live where ever we would like within the state. We are from Chicago. Currently we live right downtown off Michigan Avenue. We love the city but we also love to workout outside. One thing that I love about Chicago is the beautiful lake in the summer. Austin appeals to me because of the hills and landscape (from what I can tell, I have never been). One thing that concerns me from what I read is that there are a lot of college kids and not a lot of young professionals without kids. Also, we aren't so "hipster" if you know what I mean. Would Dallas be a better fit? I just don't like how flat Dallas is. We are huge into working out. But we also love to dress up and go out for a highend meal. We are pretty social and want to make sure we will be in a place where we can meet people. Where in Austin would be best? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 PM

7,140 posts, read 13,051,480 times
Is Chicago emptying out? Seems like every poster is from Chicago these days.

You can eat high end in Austin in jeans. Dallas and Houston might be a better fit. Have you ever been to Texas?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM

198 posts, read 234,065 times
I think you are a better fit for Dallas if you like high end stuff. Austin is more loose. Visit both and see which one you like. Dallas cost of living is cheaper and jobs are plenty over there. One thing you will miss here in Austin is malls. Dallas has incredible malls. Dallas would also fit your workplace criteria as in Austin the workplace can be very casual.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM

331 posts, read 981,333 times
I think Austin is a great fit if you can afford to live near downtown.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:25 PM

92 posts, read 80,522 times
Hello Chicago friend! My Better Half & I recently moved from the 1400 block of Erie back to Austin - we are native Texans, done with the Polar Vortex, wanted to be back home near family/friends. If you're River North types then definitely consider Dallas because it's probably more your scene. In terms of lakes/outdoors, Dallas has White Rock Lake by the Arboretum & Botanical Gardens so you wouldn't be SOL for outdoor workouts. For a frame of reference, when we lived in Chicago we spent all our non-summer lakefront time in West Loop/Wicker Park/Pilsen/Logan Sq neighborhoods. Better Half hates the label "hipster" but I know what we are! Haha. To give you a point of reference if we had stayed in Chicago we were considering buying a loft in the West Loop or Pilsen but here in Austin we just bought a house in the near East Side. So....same neighborhood, different city.

Austin is a wonderful and beautiful place but it's far more laid back. Granted things are changing a little as more tech companies / influx of investment dollars / population from outside of TX are flowing here but despite all the cries of "it used to be so much weirder!" from long-time residents it's still very low key. You can wear flip flops almost anywhere and would fit in. What I used to wear to work in a business casual office in Chicago is pushing the boundaries of formal at my office here in downtown Austin. The only possible area where you could go out where I can even think of with a dress code is on West 6th St. Bottle service isn't really a regular thing here. There are dozens of delicious high end restaurants but you'll find many patrons dressed in jeans. Most of our cutting edge food comes from food trucks. Our art galleries look more like Pilsen 2d Fridays than the MCA. Anything close to the caliber of shopping you'd find on MI Ave is NW at the Domain and not downtown. There's no East Bank Club or David Barton Gym or Equinox. But if you do decide on Austin my best recommendation for you would be to look at some of the condo buildings downtown. I think that would be best based on your preferences but ultimately I think Dallas will have more to offer if you want an experience that feels more like Chicago.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,934 times
Thank you! These are all helpful! centraleastaustinite I know exactly what you are referring to! Thank you for the great reference points!

5,184 posts, read 5,728,773 times
My millennial kids were down this weekend. They live in the West Loop. My SIL says every time they come down, people ask them about Austin. He says he tells all of them that the town is just like a big Wicker Park.

FWIW. And OBTW -- most of our "high end food" doesn't come from a food truck. Qui, Uchi, Jeffery's, Lenoir, Congress, The Carillon, Barley Swine, Fabi and Rosi, Contigo ... Not a transmission in the bunch

92 posts, read 80,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Is Chicago emptying out? Seems like every poster is from Chicago these days.

You can eat high end in Austin in jeans. Dallas and Houston might be a better fit. Have you ever been to Texas?
Two particularly horrible winters in a row = lots of non-Chicago natives living in the city questioning their lives!

When we left Chicago last fall we knew of at least four other couples who were trying to get the wheels in motion to leave town before winter hit again

Old 04-16-2015, 12:45 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,396,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigirl5221 View Post
Hi Everyone!

My fiancé and I have an opportunity to move to texas and live where ever we would like within the state. We are from Chicago. Currently we live right downtown off Michigan Avenue. We love the city but we also love to workout outside. One thing that I love about Chicago is the beautiful lake in the summer. Austin appeals to me because of the hills and landscape (from what I can tell, I have never been). One thing that concerns me from what I read is that there are a lot of college kids and not a lot of young professionals without kids. Also, we aren't so "hipster" if you know what I mean. Would Dallas be a better fit? I just don't like how flat Dallas is. We are huge into working out. But we also love to dress up and go out for a highend meal. We are pretty social and want to make sure we will be in a place where we can meet people. Where in Austin would be best? Help!
I would think that Ft. Worth & San Antonio hit all the items on your list. Both have great downtowns, have more hills & "outdoors" than Dallas & Houston. And neither are as "hipsterish" as Austin.

If you want Chitown big cities with Museums, Pro Sports & hundreds of places to eat high end meals then Dallas or Houston.

If you want some of these things & dozens of places to eat high end (and closer to the hills etc.) then choose from Ft. Worth, San Antonio & Austin.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:59 PM

6,358 posts, read 11,497,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigirl5221 View Post
Hi Everyone!

austin is definitely not a dress up and go to a high end meal kind of town. Sounds like dallas would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin